Injury Sam Docherty

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve dealt with Curnow being missing for what seems like half his career, Walsh now with his back, Docherty with 3 ACLs, Cripps all sorts of issues, Williams with an ACL, Marchbank with all sorts of issues etc.

Maybe we don’t compete with the Eagles in terms of volume especially recently but the amount of serious injuries we’ve had to key players is infuriating.
Possibly, but we've been left at times where we literally have to select WAFL top up players just so we have enough numbers to compete.
There were periods last year when we had approximately 20 players on our injury list and these included players like Naitanui, Yeo, McGovern, Ryan, Sheed, Shuey, Barrass, Cripps etc... for large periods of the year (if not all the year).
There were games we went into in the last two years where we knew that we couldn't compete (no matter the endeavour of the players) due to lack of personnel.
Outside of Melbourne in 2021 teams do get injuries. However, you have managed to have sufficient players to be competitive last year and Friday night's game was excellent in light of the critical personnel you expect to return.
In 2015 we had some very important players go down with injuries early on in the season and still somehow managed to make a GF.
Then in 2018 we lost Sheppard and Naitanui (who was definitely our most important player in 2015 and arguably remained that up to his ACL against Collingwood later in the year). With Gaff having a spell on the sidelines I think most were prepared to write us off. I mean all three were All-Australians and key players. Thankfully our structures managed to overcome these deficiencies and the rest is history.
Whilst I won't go all Sam McClure (as nobody should go full Sam McClure) I think Carlton are set for a good year and hope they go all the way.
And commiserations again for Docherty. Nothing I've posted above should detract from the pain of losing a much-loved and luckless player.

It sucks, but he won't die wondering. Will give it crack to get back I reckon.
He will keep being influential off the field such is his nature. Wouldn't surprise me if he was a senior coach within the next 6 years

Has played 167 games despite all this. Quite amazing really, especially when you compare to Naismith who’s also done three knees and played 30 games over a similar time.

Will only be 31 by the time he gets back so still some time to impact further in his career. A shame it comes at a time when the Blues are up and about, he’s been very good for them in their bad years.

Awful news & s**t week for knees.

Wish him all the best for another recovery.

Why did the Blues bring him back on the ground briefly?
They tested his knee and thought it was jarred.

ACLs are weird.

He’s not the first guy I’ve seen in sport play on with a torn ACL and not think much of it at the time.

Meanwhile you’ve got other athletes who do them and say it’s the worst pain they’ve felt and can’t even get themselves off without assistance.

Has played 167 games despite all this. Quite amazing really, especially when you compare to Naismith who’s also done three knees and played 30 games over a similar time.

Will only be 31 by the time he gets back so still some time to impact further in his career. A shame it comes at a time when the Blues are up and about, he’s been very good for them in their bad years.
How many have had three knee reconstructions and have played 167 games? Even if he decides to retire, he is no footballing footnote, considering the circumstances he's had a great career.

How many have had three knee reconstructions and have played 167 games? Even if he decides to retire, he is no footballing footnote, considering the circumstances he's had a great career.
Long? Did one in 94 and 96, not sure if he did it in 97 or just needed surgery.

Saddens me to hear that. I think he will definitely retire now, poor guys been through so much, with the 3 acls and cancer. He has such a fighting spirit, we should put up a statue of him at our home base. All the best Doch, please come back!

Cancer twice and now a third ACL, some guys have little to no luck. I hope his surgery is a success and he can get back on the field next season. All the best Doc.

Cancer twice and now a third ACL, some guys have little to no luck. I hope his surgery is a success and he can get back on the field next season. All the best Doc.
I dont get this victim mentality and I would doubt that Sam would either.

You say he has had cancer twice.
I say he has kicked cancers arse twice.

You say he has had three ACL's.
I say, he still has two legs and, in a few months, will be walking again fine.

Sam Docherty is a young man with a great family, who has played over 150 games of AFL and has a long life in front of him.

I would think that if he was to look at himself in the mirror and reflect on his life and also the life he has in front of him, then "little to no luck" will be the furthest from it.

Well done Doc, great career and hopefully he gets back for one last shot but if not, at least he had a crack.
He doesnt need, nor deserve pity, he deserves a well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back