Recommitted Sam Draper [re-signed for 4 years]

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Considering Essendons ruck stocks at the moment, I'm sure Draper can see himself as the #1 ruck in a few seasons so smart for him to stick around.
Obviously would be getting more coin from us due to the saints interest aswell.
Draper could be No1 Ruck next year with TBC as a BackUP IMO,

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
but i reckon the Deal is/was that Draper plays Number 1 Ruck an use TBC as a Backup, he wouldnt have had Number 1 Ruck at the saints, an with TBC on his way out Draper will get it , TBC isnt in Essendons Future, whereas Draper is

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good news.
Still need a new ruck.
Current stocks are a guy who hasn't played a full season from memory, a kid whose never played AFL and a guy who isn't up to scratch.
i agree, Essendon will need another Young Ruck to complement Draper once TBC retires , question is do you go for someone like Darcy Cameron or some Ruckman in the SANFL like that Andre Parella ? or Jeremy Goddard in the WAFL or do you go for someone like that Nick Bryan IN the Draft an put him in the VFL for a Year untill TBC Retires or i think there's another Tall Ruck from SANFL that ( Josh Hart )

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
i agree, Essendon will need another Young Ruck to complement Draper once TBC retires , question is do you go for someone like Darcy Cameron or some Ruckman in the SANFL like that Andre Parella ? or Jeremy Goddard in the WAFL
I seem to recall very good wraps on Goddard. I do wonder if he's a WA secret that isn't tapped because Freo and WCE are well stocked.

Personally, i view TBC as backup now. Can't rely on him
Draper is the future. I look to someone who can play #1 next year.
Maybe someone older - Ryder, Lycett (one of these guys surely moves), Preuss, Sinclair, Jacobs, Hickey.
Maybe a younger, but more experienced ruck- Sean Darcy, Ivan Soldo, Nicholls, A.Smith

View should be whoever we sign is #1 until Draper takes it from them.

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I seem to recall very good wraps on Goddard. I do wonder if he's a WA secret that isn't tapped because Freo and WCE are well stocked.

Personally, i view TBC as backup now. Can't rely on him
Draper is the future. I look to someone who can play #1 next year.
Maybe someone older - Ryder, Lycett (one of these guys surely moves), Preuss, Sinclair, Jacobs, Hickey.
Maybe a younger, but more experienced ruck- Sean Darcy, Ivan Soldo, Nicholls, A.Smith

View should be whoever we sign is #1 until Draper takes it from them.
problem with Pruess, he's Crap up forward, Great Ruck but thats it. i would probably look at that Archie Smith from Brisbane . i cant see Freo letting go of Sean Darcy now that Sandilands is gonna retire.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
problem with Pruess, he's Crap up forward, Great Ruck but thats it. i would probably look at that Archie Smith from Brisbane . i cant see Freo letting go of Sean Darcy now that Sandilands is gonna retire.
I'd prefer Lobb. Because he can park himself forward better than the rest. But i can't see him moving either.
My guess is the speculation around Freo's ruck setup is Sandi retiring - who is #1 in his place. If they recruit a new ruck, they may just let one go.

If it's Preuss. He'd do little else other than ruck for us anyway
My view is we need Ruck #1. TBC is backup. Draper when he's fit can fight for a spot at AFL level

Kid hasn't played a single senior game. Don't want all our eggs in that basket.

I'd prefer Lobb. Because he can park himself forward better than the rest. But i can't see him moving either.
My guess is the speculation around Freo's ruck setup is Sandi retiring - who is #1 in his place. If they recruit a new ruck, they may just let one go.

If it's Preuss. He'd do little else other than ruck for us anyway
My view is we need Ruck #1. TBC is backup. Draper when he's fit can fight for a spot at AFL level

Kid hasn't played a single senior game. Don't want all our eggs in that basket.

Currently the preferred #1 ruck order goes:
Sandilands, Darcy, Lobb (playing him FWD/Ruck preferred over #1 ruck), Jones, Meek

If Sandilands retires it just shifts that along, but I expect the last two on the list to have their spots tabled for consideration.

Good news.
Still need a new ruck.
Current stocks are a guy who hasn't played a full season from memory, a kid whose never played AFL and a guy who isn't up to scratch.
He played 20 games last year.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
He played 20 games last year.
Still not quite full :p

My point is - Clarke isn't an option.
Rather than target a new Clarke, get a new TBC, slide TBC down while Draper recovers. By the time Draper is ready, TBC will be fairly close to retirement.
In the meantime, our starting ruck won't be crippling us

Still not quite full :p

My point is - Clarke isn't an option.
Rather than target a new Clarke, get a new TBC, slide TBC down while Draper recovers. By the time Draper is ready, TBC will be fairly close to retirement.
In the meantime, our starting ruck won't be crippling us
That's a full season. Would gou say McKenna has played a full season this year?

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol Saints snubbed!!!

We don't mind as when the offer was first put we were desperately seeking a ruckman. Marshall (recruited to be a key forward or back) has since burst out with a sustained number of very good games to make the No1 spot his own and to arguably be the third best ruck in the AFL at present.

If this had not happened Saints would probably upped their offer. But he has and so we didn't.

I do hope though that Draper sends Lethlean a box of chocolates for the long-term deal and extra $$$$ he has now secured that he otherwise would not have gained. ;)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Fair enough too, I don't see why he'd want to come to a club where he knows he'll be second fiddle to one of the best rucks in the comp.

There's clearly more opportunities to play AFL at his current club so why would he leave?

I was joking, but agree Draper, Marshall and King wouldn't work.

Back