Recommitted Sam Draper [re-signed for 4 years]

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I shouldn't be surprised that the most outrageous point of conjecture in thread is that Essendon is "probably" going to ask for a first rounder for Sam Draper, not that St. Kilda are breaking out $2 million dollars for a ruckman that's never played at AFL level and is currently rehabbing an ACL

Cause people on this forum have an issue with Dodoro valuing his players higher than giving in for the sake of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Lols at people here thinking Essendon dreaming asking a first rounder from a side that is offering 2 mil.

Just for some keks, I hope we ask for Max King, Hunter Clark and the frozen sperm of Nick Riewoldt as compensation for the immeasurable talent that Draper is.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Lols at people here thinking Essendon dreaming asking a first rounder from a side that is offering 2 mil.

What other players are traded for first rounders whose total contract is only worth 1.7 mil? Especially when they can just enter the draft and no one else would touch him at that price.

What other players are traded for first rounders whose total contract is only worth 1.7 mil? Especially when they can just enter the draft when no one else would touch him at that price.
$1.7m over 4 years. Averaging $425k per year, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023. It's not exactly a groundbreaking amount of money, most clubs would be able to find that for a player they wanted to poach. It's not that much more than the average TPP, which should be $389k by 2022 according to the AFLPA.

What's more interesting is why he'd end up going to the draft. So far as anyone knows he doesn't want to leave, let alone desperately enough to put himself at the mercy of whatever club at the bottom of the ladder can cough up an average wage for him. :drunk:

Its not a ground breaking amount of money, which is why if Essendon don't bother matching it (or atleast going close enough for him to stay), they couldnt really expect much in a trade.
I don't even know where the first round pick thing came from. Source?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol. It's 1.7m and it's spread over 4 years. A touch over 400k a year us quite low for an AFL player and I doubt anyone on that wage would have been traded for a first round pick.

If you guys were to get a 2nd rounder for him you'd be doing exceptionally well. I doubt any other club is going to fork out that money for an untried kid so the pre season draft is a genuine threat, although I'd expect a deal to be down.

Lol. It's 1.7m and it's spread over 4 years. A touch over 400k a year us quite low for an AFL player and I doubt anyone on that wage would have been traded for a first round pick.

If you guys were to get a 2nd rounder for him you'd be doing exceptionally well. I doubt any other club is going to fork out that money for an untried kid so the pre season draft is a genuine threat, although I'd expect a deal to be down.

St Kilda traded away pick 12 for a donut like Tom Lee, so anything is possible.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He’s on similar coin to Preuss.

So he’s worth about a 3rd rounder.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda traded away pick 12 for a donut like Tom Lee, so anything is possible.

Strawberry frosting.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Essendon don't have much leverage. Draper could easily go into the preseason draft. Doubt the Suns, Blues, Demons or Hawthorn would be willing to match the contract offer (assuming the ladder stays the same).
If the offer is real and Draper wants a trade, which I highly doubt on both accounts, then the logical outcome will be a second round pick.

There will be games up until the last day of trade week, but that's where it will land.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If the saints are giving out second rounders u can have pittonet, similar stats to Draper and hasn’t done an acl

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
$1.7m over 4 years. Averaging $425k per year, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023. It's not exactly a groundbreaking amount of money, most clubs would be able to find that for a player they wanted to poach. It's not that much more than the average TPP, which should be $389k by 2022 according to the AFLPA.

What's more interesting is why he'd end up going to the draft. So far as anyone knows he doesn't want to leave, let alone desperately enough to put himself at the mercy of whatever club at the bottom of the ladder can cough up an average wage for him. :drunk:

Finally people from both sides acknowledging that the $$ are not actually that big. I just think most people read $1.7m and get spun out. Because for any of us plebs that is a massive amount of money.

But as you both point out, that figure (spread over 4 years) is pretty much the average AFL wage. So all we are suggesting is paying an untried player with untapped potential an average wage for 4 years. Considering we have salary cap to burn, and no fit back up ruckman (if Marshall gets injured our current ruckman is Sam Rowe FFS), it seems low risk, high reward.

If it eventually comes to a trade (who knows if it will), Essendon will probably just do their usual and stamp their feet for two weeks. Then on the last day Dodoro will either get overruled internally (like the Shiel deal) or fold (see the Crameri or Carlisle deal) and it will get done.

Made very similar comments during the Ryder negotiation actually. When he wanted out, Essendon demanded Ollie Wines or Chad Wingard (clearly unrealistic, but it seems to be a tactic the Bombers use). Eventually they got a late first (17) and a third. Given Draper has about 150 less games on the board, I doubt this deal (if it happens) gets anywhere close to that return.

Nathan Freeman was a former top 10 pick we took similar risk on a couple of years ago. He cost us a future 2nd. Given Draper is a rookie pick I doubt we pay that much. But that might roughly be the best we offer...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Finally people from both sides acknowledging that the $$ are not actually that big. I just think most people read $1.7m and get spun out. Because for any of us plebs that is a massive amount of money.

But as you both point out, that figure (spread over 4 years) is pretty much the average AFL wage. So all we are suggesting is paying an untried player with untapped potential an average wage for 4 years. Considering we have salary cap to burn, and no fit back up ruckman (if Marshall gets injured our current ruckman is Sam Rowe FFS), it seems low risk, high reward

If it eventually comes to a trade (who knows if it will), Essendon will probably just do their usual and stamp their feet for two weeks. Then on the last day Dodoro will either get overruled internally (like the Shiel deal) or fold (see the Crameri or Carlisle deal) and it will get done

Made very similar comments with the Ryder deal actually. When he wanted out, Essendon demanded Ollie Wines or Chad Wingard (clearly unrealistic). Eventually they got a late first (17) and a third. Given Draper has about 150 less games on the board I doubt this deal (if it happens) gets anywhere close to that return.

Nathan Freeman was a former top 10 pick we took similar risk on. He cost us a future 2nd. Given Draper is a rookie pick I doubt we pay that much. But that might roughly be the best we offer

Lol

Outliers like Izzy Folau aside, it’d be the highest contract ever signed by a player who hasn’t played a game.

“It’s not big” 😂

But as you both point out, that figure (spread over 4 years) is pretty much the average AFL wage. So all we are suggesting is paying an untried player with untapped potential an average wage for 4 years. Considering we have salary cap to burn, and no fit back up ruckman (if Marshall gets injured our current ruckman is Sam Rowe FFS), it seems low risk, high reward

If it eventually comes to a trade (who knows if it will), Essendon will probably just do their usual and stamp their feet for two weeks. Then on the last day Dodoro will either get overruled internally (like the Shiel deal) or fold (see the Crameri or Carlisle deal) and it will get done

Made very similar comments with the Ryder deal actually. When he wanted out, Essendon demanded Ollie Wines or Chad Wingard (clearly unrealistic). Eventually they got a late first (17) and a third. Given Draper has about 150 less games on the board I doubt this deal (if it happens) gets anywhere close to that return.

Nathan Freeman was a former top 10 pick we took similar risk on. He cost us a future 2nd. Given Draper is a rookie pick I doubt we pay that much. But that might roughly be the best we offer
Any particular reason you’ve got half your post with dark grey text and half with standard? Not sure if it was your intent but it makes half of it invisible in dark mode.

I think the thing for people and why it seems high is that most players would be getting less than average wage in order to account for the few that get well above the average wage. Certainly a rookie player in his second or third year on an AFL list would not normally command that much.

The other side of it is that we don’t know how it’s structured. Could be a signing bonus and back ended with triggers or KPIs or something too.

Honestly I think it’s just a manager trying to get a few more dollars for his client, I doubt he’s going anywhere. But I guess that’s fair on his behalf too.

Back