Toast Sam Dwyer

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now I know who your avatar represents, I am going to regard your character as suspect and potentially unsavoury. If he turns into a more benevolent character from season 2 episode 1 onwards, then I may revise my opinion. If you update me in advance of viewing season 2, your avatar, then username, will earn an undying hatred that I will carry to my grave.
You're being harsh on Witts there.

Well, at least you're giving him some leeway until next season.

:p

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're being harsh on Witts there.

Well, at least you're giving him some leeway until next season.

:p
I did actually mean to mention Sam Dwyer in the last post to keep it on topic. What can be said that others have not already said? Neat little player with excellent decision making and sharp disposal kills. It is hard to believe that he has been languishing in the VFL. Maybe we should draft all our players from the VFL and similar mature age seeding pods.

Its as if he has taken Wellinghams role in the team. Yet it still being early days ,I rate him higher than wellers.

As someone said , I feel safe as houses when hes kicking it in the forward line , always makes the right choice
His biggest asset is his willingness to hold onto the ball until he sees a realistic option open up.

Magpie03

Team Captain
May 16, 2007
sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
He nearly gave up VFL to chase the coin in local leagues but Ayresy talked him in to staying, reckon he'd be pretty stoked with his decision. As the Port Melbourne supporter above has mentioned, 2 players worth watching are Chris Cain and Josh Scipione. Seen a fair bit of Port over the past few years and both these boys can genuinely play. With the expansion teams raiding the early draft picks I'd love it if the club keeps targeting guys like Dwyer and Marto.

When Ayresy took over at Port he told him he would play all four first grade trials over the preseason regardless of his form and that they only reason he wouldnt be selected in them was if he was injured or Sammy decided not to. He was honestly surprised that Ayres would give him that sort of an opportunity. Obviously he took the opportunity.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
His biggest asset is his willingness to hold onto the ball until he sees a realistic option open up.

Very smart footballer.
Loving these mature age recruits that are getting a chance at the big time.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
When Ayresy took over at Port he told him he would play all four first grade trials over the preseason regardless of his form and that they only reason he wouldnt be selected in them was if he was injured or Sammy decided not to. He was honestly surprised that Ayres would give him that sort of an opportunity. Obviously he took the opportunity.

Would actually like to see the club Hire Ayres as an assistant coach has a wealth of knowledge and was a decent senior coach when he had the opportunity imo.

Dwyer (Spud) has reinforced my belief that the most important assets in a footballer's arsenal are decision making and situation awareness.

He's not the tallest, fastest, longest kick, "jumpiest-springiest-flashiest"... whatevs... The guy can be relied on to make a good decision under pressure.

#so*******gladwegothim

Soul_Pie

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Over the past two weeks he's really taken his game to a new level, and he was good before that as well. One thing that is really obvious about his game is that he has that seemingly rare skill in footy in lowering the eyes and hitting up a target inside 50.

Just looked at the stats and see he's leading the comp for goal assists, no surprises there.

aflife

Team Captain
Aug 25, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think a main asset of his is confidence in his ability. He is not afraid to do things sometimes limited to experienced players. I remember watching him fend of a tackle cant remember against who and thought "this bloke has some balls". Doesn't get over whelmed either

Great pick up and a credit to our recruitment department. I heard he was almost ready to give up the AFL dream but stuck at it a little longer. Thank goodness he did!

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
A few people said "take a bow hine", I would argue that Nathan Buckley should take a bow and probably Geoff Walsh as well. I think there was a club decision to change the focus of rookie recruitment and it's been a success so far.... not that we didn't get a fair share of players from the traditional method of rookie selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SpongePie

Premium Platinum
Feb 14, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe Sam Dwyer is really Beams. Looks like him and plays like him. Would explain Beams' long absence and is perhaps a lot more believable than what Geoff Walsh has said.

Agreed. Never seen them in the same place at the same time...

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would actually like to see the club Hire Ayres as an assistant coach has a wealth of knowledge and was a decent senior coach when he had the opportunity imo.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Having a successful senior coach as an assistant to Bucks next year is a priority. My view our existing assistant coaches need a shake up. As for spud what a great story

Lord Wilberforce

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Yeah, this is not a bad call. Was a Hawthorn god and not even Blight could get Geelong to win a GF in that era.

However, I still maintain that Roos would be the best option. He's said that he doesn't want to coach, so he Eade role would fit well for him.

theroach78

Senior List
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
That Carlton game was freaking unbelievable. Breaking tackles, kicking long goals...I was super excited by what he could do.

The Geelong game just emphasised what we've all seen so far. So much poise. It's almost insulting to say 'for a first-year player', because really he's been playing a rung below ones for the past few years. Has set himself up very well for, hopefully, a good few years in the 41...he should keep that number, because he's made it his own.

Geelong_Bisons_#36

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Inverleigh Hawks
Just looked at the stats and see he's leading the comp for goal assists, no surprises there.

Wow that's awesome from a first year (AFL first year) player.

Stoked to have picked him up, he's in the best 22, even if we had a full list to pick from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back