Toast Sam Dwyer

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Cheers for that 'Crowded House' you seem to be a pretty avid follower which is good that you can let it carry on even though the bloke isn't a Bomber.

Hopefully the guy has another 5 or so years in him - it doesn't seem to be athletic features that makes him a good player more the mental capacity so cant see any reason he wont get a game into early thirties 100 -150 games would be a great return from him though and not many players even get to that level. So full kudos to the kid for working hard and now getting his opportunity, is amazing the impact he has on our midfield, he's like a Didak type you'd take his 15-20 touches because he actually makes a difference. A little work on his defensive side (but that should improve a bit) and we have a real keeper on our hands.

1992edfl2012

Senior List
May 25, 2012
northen subs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
how is this guy not injured yet?? (hope i haven't jinxed him) all our good players should be injured right about now!!!;) he is way too good to be fit and firing in 2013.;)

UpTheMags

Team Captain
May 21, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
i.... LOVE.. sam dwyer. His decision making and evasiveness make him a phenomenal outside player. Add hardness and desire and hes the textbook collingwood hard tackling hard running hard working blue collar player

TheFasoloShow

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2012
Drouin
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
God our teams good at finding diamonds in the rough! i love Sammy D, and i would have him in the team ahead of wellingham any day! #recruitoftheyear #minipendles

and I'm just reminding everyone - before the next Goal Kicking Competition starts - how good he is at kicking goals ;)
Just giving us a heads up hey champ?;):p

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone notice him gaining confidence each week? I'm sure he feels like he belongs in the team now and not just some lucky rookie that got upgraded because Beams can't get on the park.

Hope he has a long and successful career with the Pies. :thumbsu:

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Would actually like to see the club Hire Ayres as an assistant coach has a wealth of knowledge and was a decent senior coach when he had the opportunity imo.

I agree with what you're saying here, and not just specifically with Ayres. I just think the whole inexperienced assistant coaches thing is a relic of Malthouse's insecurity. In contrast, I think Buckley would welcome some more experienced people around him. I just dont see the point of having assistant coaches learn on the job.... at least at Collingwood. Let em learn at Melbourne or Western Bulldogs. If they're getting top dollar, then they should be able to bring a wealth of experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey guys, just wondering if you think Dwyer will hold his spot in the best 22 next year? Any chance of him being given the green vest on occasions? I'm involved in a rolling SuperCoach game where we have to change trade, delist and draft players from our lists at the end of each season, not sure whether to delist Dwyer or not.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Hey guys, just wondering if you think Dwyer will hold his spot in the best 22 next year? Any chance of him being given the green vest on occasions? I'm involved in a rolling SuperCoach game where we have to change trade, delist and draft players from our lists at the end of each season, not sure whether to delist Dwyer or not.

I think we will be trying to play lots of kids next year - kennedy broomhead mooney scharenberg freeman and they will take a lot of the sub places.

High chance of being best 22 but no certainty

It's a tough question to answer. He's definitely in a pack of players that will be fighting for spots (all over the ground), but there are certainly quite a few who would be more likely to be playing in the seconds than him. If he is playing though I'd say it's very likely either him or a first/second year player would be the substitute unless we have someone returning from injury.

As for Clinton Young, I don't think he's fully recovered from his injury yet, and it will be entirely touch-and-go with him throughout the season. He'll need time in the VFL to prove his worth before playing in the 1's anyway, so wouldn't even consider keeping him in your SuperCoach. Unless you need a serious smokey.

SpongePie

Premium Platinum
Feb 14, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a huge fan of Dwyer. Love the story, reminds me of Barlow a couple of years ago, and love how he plays. The only critical thing I would say is he could increase his defensive ability a bit.

Otherwise I love how he is willing to take the game on and have a crack. You might think that a mid aged guy, having only just made it to AFL might be a bit more reserved when he plays, but no, he plays like he belongs out there and has been there for years.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will be best 22 but his body is so fragile at the moment you never know how much he is going to play

Young has a lot to prove in 2014, will certainly need to earn a senior spot. If he can stay fit and on the park I'd rate him in the 19-30 group at best. Continually baffled why some have him as a walk up start for the starting 18. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sams had one year in the system - barring injury he will step it up a cog this year

Agree he'll be better for another pre-season but still think he could get squeezed. Not a negative comment on Dwyer, just an optimistic reflection of some of the quality kids we've picked up over the last 2 years.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Young has a lot to prove in 2014, will certainly need to earn a senior spot. If he can stay fit and on the park I'd rate him in the 19-30 group at best. Continually baffled why some have him as a walk up start for the starting 18. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

The club recruited him on a 3-4 year deal worth decent money, so obviously in the clubs mind he is best 22.

Was best 22 in hawthorn during their best years so he is 100% in our best 22

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The club recruited him on a 3-4 year deal worth decent money, so obviously in the clubs mind he is best 22.

Was best 22 in hawthorn during their best years so he is 100% in our best 22

We'll have to agree to disagree. Don't know the details of Young's contract but I had thought it was 2 years which was an upgrade on the 1 year Hawthorn were offering. Club recruited S Buckley and Russell as well and I wasn't a fan of getting those players either but not every player recruited turns out to be a winner. Young has been crueled by injuries and it's a long time since he's played at his best and I think he got opportunities at Hawthorn in 2012 because of the injuries they had, and that they weren't all that sad to see him depart. Don't think he is anywhere near our best 22 based on 2013 performances and he needs to earn a senior place.

Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Wizards, Man. United
After a couple of ordinary games, Sam really stepped it up yesterday. In my opinion he was best-on-ground after Langdon before he got subbed off, so hopefully he's not injured :confused:

20 Disposals, 8 Marks, 2 Clearances, 2 I50's, 1 Goal, 1 Goal Assist

And all that in only 58% Gametime! Great that it was against the scum too :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back