Traded Sam Frost [traded with #42, #61 & 2020 4th to Hawthorn for #50 and 2020 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

My sister is a Melbourne supporter and is glad to see the back of him. Take that as you will.
Plays his role well. Think he was given too much freedom at Melbourne and made some absolute bonehead plays. Good player but I think Melbourne were happy for him to leave then sell the farm to keep him especially considering their cap situation, having Lever and May as well makes him a third KPP who wants a big payday.

pick 42
pick 61
2020 4th(roughly pick 70)
Frost

for
pick 50
2020 2nd(roughly pick 30 but pushed back by GC draft concessions.)

Don't mind that trade at all.

A lot of the criticisms of Frost sound like a lot of the crticism of Impey when we traded for him.

Fast and line breaking speed but terrible decision maker and kick.

If Frost can improve in our system like Impey did this will be a big win fr the club. Fits a need, gets us points for Finn and we didn't give up much for him.

I can see several teams (including my mob) leapfrogging the Hawks next year, just think the Equalization cycle is about to kick in for Hawthorn.
Inevitably you will blood more kids next year (I assume) and I think it will be a development year for the Hawks (whIch is actually a good thing)
I can’t see it, we have too many of our best players in their prime age bracket, Carlton’s midfield minus cripps is close to worst in the league, the defense is decent, and forwardline looks good on paper, but has rarely played well or been up and running at the same time. With the addition of frost, Mitchell and possibly Patton. I can’t see us having a worse year than what we did this year. Still think the blues are a year or two away from seriously moving up the ladder

pick 42
pick 61
2020 4th(roughly pick 70)
Frost

for
pick 50
2020 2nd(roughly pick 30 but pushed back by GC draft concessions.)

Don't mind that trade at all.

Wait. What? The Suns have ONE mid first rounder.... That's it? The Suns concessions have next to no bearing whatsoever on this trade, it's all about where the Hawks finish.

Based on what? Scully? O'Rourke? Mohr?
Why are you so negative on everything to do with the Hawks...

Mohr was a DFA that got injuried before the season started... Not really in our control. O'Rourke was a bust you can not win them all, Scully was not expected to play much if at all this season, that was a good result.

We have a history of more often than not players improving when coming to the club, of course supporters will back in the coaching staff to be able to do that again.

Wait. What? The Suns have ONE mid first rounder.... That's it? The Suns concessions have next to no bearing whatsoever on this trade, it's all about where the Hawks finish.
You are right on the Suns but that Draft is heavily influenced by father son and academy picks, it is why clubs are hesitant to trade for future picks in next years Draft. That pick will 100% be pushed back somewhat.

Plays his role well. Think he was given too much freedom at Melbourne and made some absolute bonehead plays. Good player but I think Melbourne were happy for him to leave then sell the farm to keep him especially considering their cap situation, having Lever and May as well makes him a third KPP who wants a big payday.
Looks a good get to me

A lot of the criticisms of Frost sound like a lot of the crticism of Impey when we traded for him.

If Frost can improve in our system like Impey did this will be a big win fr the club. Fits a need, gets us points for Finn and we didn't give up much for him.

Well, as a criticiser of Frost, i wouldn't put him in the same breath as Impey. I remember the Impey thread well, as i was a big fan of his, and stated it in there a few times, and couldn't quite understand why Hawthorn fans weren't that excited for him.

I thought at the time that Impey was excellent shopping for pick 32 i think it was. Frost you've got for something around 50 and i think that's what he's worth only if you desperately need a body while young Kosi hopefully develops.

But Frost is a liability on an AFL field, and many clubs have to carry liabilities for certain periods of time.

I thought the criticisms of Impey were that his tank was not good enough which meant he often was kicking when tired.

That was what played out in his first year at Hawthorn but last year his tank was better and his kicks righted themselves.

He isn't always a terrible decision maker it is just when he *s up, he really *s up

FWIW he is a decent enough player and should be a good pick up for you guys

Filter out the usual offended BF sooks and its a pretty clear analysis.

Most Dees fans disappointed to lose him but not shattered. Plus they got something back.
Most hawks fans happy but also happy with the points for fin.
For me, im happy. Frost aint a star, he will be a solid role player in a position we need depth, if he can free up Sicily its a win.
You cant train pace but we can have a crack at fixing his kicking.

Filter out the usual offended BF sooks and its a pretty clear analysis.

Most Dees fans disappointed to lose him but not shattered. Plus they got something back.
Most hawks fans happy but also happy with the points for fin.
For me, im happy. Frost aint a star, he will be a solid role player in a position we need depth, if he can free up Sicily its a win.

Not to mention he has decent ball users around him, just play to strengths and understand the limitations.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't do much good. It's a bit too late to remedy a 26 year old footballer who's a s**t kick

Are we talking bad mechanics... bad kicking technique? Or are we talking about someone who takes bad options when put under pressure, who then turns it over?

If it's the latter, he'll probably continue to turn it over when under the pump. A leopard can't chnage it's spots, etc, etc.. But if his kicking errors were made chiefly because he was part of a besieged Demons backline, then he can expect some respite playing at Hawthorn with their superior defensive structure (i.e. def pressure & zoning all around the ground). Hawks forwards and midfielders look after their defenders better than Melbourne's mids & fwds.

For example, James Frawley was/is a turnover merchant, but he has settled into playing error-free footy for the most part. He still has his shaky moments, but not nearly as bad as when he first arrived from Melbourne.

My sister is a Melbourne supporter and is glad to see the back of him. Take that as you will.
Does your sister think Goodwin is a good coach?

Horrible trade for Hawthorn. Frost is a dud.

He's merely defensive cover for squad depth & provides for flexibility in rotations during the year to play on & negate the big forwards.....He's quick & can spoil well enough....If Frawley were to go down injured - & lets face it, he's not getting any younger - then Frost is the ideal replacement for him.

Depending on how the opposition lines-up, I can see both he & Big Boy being played down there at different times during the year.

Frost takes the 2nd key forward and frees up Sicily.

Try again.

I think Frost is decent, but he doesn’t really seem to fit the type of player Hawks typically go for. Clarkson puts a lot of stock in good kicks of the ball, especially from the backline. Frost is a great athlete, but he can be a shocking kick. Having said that, it’s not a terrible move and I think Melb have made a mistake letting him go. If either Lever or May goes down again they are in trouble.

Surprised we got him as cheaply as that.
Disposal really concerning but the rest of him is good.

Bit of a worry having 6 defenders but only 4 of them allowed to kick it. Sicily needs to have a blinder of a year. Was just about AA for mine this year, but will need to be even better next year. Opposition defensive forward should be all over him as much as possible on the rebound.

Surprised we got him as cheaply as that.
Disposal really concerning but the rest of him is good.
It seems a good deal for Hawthorn. I hope Frost enjoys his time there. I met him once and he seemed a genuinely great bloke. He can be good fun to watch because when he takes the game on, he really gives his all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back