Delisted Sam Gilbert

Remove this Banner Ad

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price          2009            2008            2007      
                        DT      SC       Played DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
DEF 19 GILBERT, Sam    23    61    $391,500 $509,100 22    88.2    95.8    19    53.1    56.1    18    69.3    75.7

One of my favourites. Very unlucky to not get an All Australian selection last year! Future captain of the club?

I have big issues with Gilbert and his risk taking.

He looks good running it out of defence but every time he takes them on and gets the ball out it seems a stuff up is just around the corner.

He needs to stop trying to show off and maintain possession of the footy.

When he turns it over it is usually sloppy and not needed.

He's great, he just takes risks after risks. I think he should be in the forward line not the backline.

Funny, when I think, Saints could have played Hudghton in the GF and had Gilbert in the forward line as the third tall. He would have been a handful.

Good article about sammy here:

ONE constant message to come out of St Kilda over the past 12 months has been the desire to improve as a team.

Ask most football supporters which Saint has managed to constantly improve and more often than not the answer is Sam Gilbert.

Ever since making his debut in late 2006, Gilbert has come along in leaps and bounds and now sits comfortably as one of the more valuable players in one of the league’s strongest teams.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/91975/default.aspx

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/action-man-20100729-10xzr.html?from=age_sb

Then the 2010 season came around and he found himself cast in a different light by St Kilda's opposition. Newton's law kicked in, and teams began sending strong defensive players to his side to curtail his influence.

''I've worked with 'SOS' [defensive coach Steve Silvagni] a bit. I doubt if Essendon [tonight's opponent] has a defensive forward, but if it does happen I'll be able to start in different positions and go from there.''

Ultimately St Kilda's veteran recruiter John Beveridge saw him playing for Queensland under 21s and noticed that the ball kept following him. It is a trait that remains with Gilbert to this day, for he is second in the league for marking opposition players' kicks this season.

Like so many left-footers he remains uncomfortable on the other side, a trait that was revealed in the Hawthorn game at a critical moment. ''I don't venture there [right foot] too often,'' he said. ''I kick OK and that'll keep happening, but if I can become a better kick it would be satisfying.''

I like Sammy Gilbert!!!!!!!! v.cool sort of person.
207276.jpg

I love Sammy G, not just as the wonderful player he is, but as a great person. I went down to the Sandy match last weekend with a camera, and my friend's birthday is coming up who is a mad Saints fan. I saw Sammy Gilbert there chatting to anyone and everyone, and signing every autograph that was asked. After I spent heaps of time trying to build up confidence, and as a 16 year old boy who idolises all of the players it took a while, I asked him to say on camera "happy birthday". Not only did he do it, but he was so nice about it, didn't frown when he was asked which I was honestly surprised about considering his luck with cameras, and was just a wonderful guy. New favourite player for me.

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

Number #19 Sam Gilbert

Sam 'Gilbo' Gilbert went into the 2011 season with a lot of pressure after the infamous off-season nude photo scandal. This no doubt didnt help his performances for majority of the season.

After producing up front in the 2010 grand final, he started the new 2011 season up there in a new role. Gilbert was very quite in the early part of the season which was unusual as he had be a vital part of our team for the last few years.

After complaining to Ross Lyon he was then given back his preferred position as a rebounding defender. This helped his form significantly but he was still no where near as good as he has been. He continued to be tried in new roles, like against Carlton when he successfully shut down star Chris Judd. As the season went on and the team improved, so did Gilbo. He began showing some of the stuff that lead him into AA contention in 09 and 10'.

He played his 100th game in 2011 and showed great character bouncing back from a difficult off season. He averaged 17 disposals with a season high 25 against Melbourne which was by far his best performance.

As the 2012 season approaches, it is clear what to Gilbo needs to do. Proved run from defence and and lots of rebounding. If he can get back to his peak form, All Australian selection is definitely a chance. I hope to see a big season from him under Scott Watters.

Sam Gilbert #19

Whilst Gilbo copped some criticism for his 2011 season, he barely missed a top 10 finish in the B&F.

His pre-season was impacted by lip complications (a complete inability to grow a decent tash).

161111_movember_ICarticle.jpg

After a couple of solid games in the first two rounds (18 possessions, 10 marks against Port and 19 possessions, 6 marks and a goal against GC), he was subbed off against the Dogs in round 3 with a back injury.

He returned with another good game (19 possessions, 6 marks and 2 goals) against Freo, but his form tailed off once Sammy Fish did his hammy. This (along with Dawson’s departure, Gwilt’s ongoing recovery from a reco, and Blake needing to cover McEvoy’s absence in the ruck) had a significant unsettling influence on the backline, and Gilbert’s natural attacking flair - including an ability to get to contests and take marks third man up.

At around this time, he had been strongly linked with the newer clubs (GWS and GC), but Sam maintained a desire to stay with the Saints. Gilbert also commented on his form:
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=137961
"I think I found it a little bit hard to get a bit of touch. I've played a few roles for the team, which I thought I did alright.”

Gilbert has been working closely in one-on-one sessions with St Kilda defensive coach Danny Sexton, focusing mainly on his kicking before a recent emphasis on his hands. It's something that I've got away with a little bit throughout my career and on the weekend (against Richmond) I got caught a couple of times on the wrong side."

At 194cm, Gilbert was the second-tallest player to run out for the Saints in last week's loss to Richmond. He has had to cover for Fisher down back while also being used in some experimental roles. “I snuck in the ruck for a bit last week which was a bit of fun. I'd love to play through the midfield or up forward again. It's exciting playing in those positions but we do have a fantastic midfield."

After 75 games in succession, Gilbo missed the final round with shoulder surgery.

He played 21 games in 2012 and ranked 10th for disposals, 7th in tackles, 7th in contested possessions, 10th for inside 50s, 10th for rebound 50s, 4th in 1%’ers.

His 3.6 tackles per game was actually a career-high, as was his 7 goals (to go with his 8 goal assists).

Sam re-signed with the Saints for a further 3 years late in the season, and I’m looking forward to seeing him get back to the sort of form that saw him take nearly 200 marks in a season (2010).

327783-sam-gilbert.jpg

Everywhere man - that's Sam Gilbert
March 12, 2013
Michael Gleeson

For now, Gilbert is likely to fit within that pinch-hitter role and remain predominantly a rebounding defender and switch up forward. But his advantages in the midfield - his rangy size combined with his pace - mean he is defensively very dangerous.
Gilbert said he had learnt from the experience of wingman Leigh Montagna in trying to adjust.
''Leigh Montagna has helped me a bit, especially about moving in there from different points of the ground. He has been really good,'' Gilbert said.
''It's a different type of running in the midfield; it's more explosive running, which is something I enjoy, but I am still getting used to the body work and the physical game on the ball.
''I don't think I will be starting there straight away but I would hope during the year I get my chances through there.
''I think I will still mainly be down back but I do like to have that flexibility to be moved around.''
Gilbert had a shoulder operation at the end of last year that restricted him before Christmas but he has been in full training in the new year.
Gilbert's switch to on-baller is part of Watters' tinkering with the Saints' structure coming into the coach's second year. Watters has shifted Rhys Stanley behind the ball to help solve the need for a tall defender, a move that will continue when Stanley returns from injury after hyperextending his knee in the NAB Cup. He could yet be fit for round one.
Small forward Arryn Sippos has also been pushed up the ground to a wing as the Saints look to better exploit his exceptional kicking skills.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/everywhere-man--thats-sam-gilbert-20130311-2fwgd.html#ixzz2NEsYy6Ec

Q&A with Sam Gilbert:

TM: What has Scott Watters message been to you since he arrived at Seaford?
SG: He wants me to be a little bit stronger around the contest and in the air which is something I am working on and hopefully improving at these aspects of my game.
TM: You’ve had shoulder surgery in the summer, how did the rehab go?
SG: It went well. It was tough at first and very hard to get through the initial stages of rehab. It was my first major injury where I spent so much time rehabbing my shoulder. That was something that took time, but for me it was probably a good thing because it gave me time away. I had been always playing, always training, always running so it gave me an opportunity to sit back and kind of work on my own game and see training from another point of view. To see how other players work from the sidelines, so as bad as it was also a good eye opener for me.
TM: What have you got out of the NAB Cup this pre-season?
SG: It’s given me an opportunity to experiment in some midfield roles and I’ve really enjoyed playing there. So hopefully during the year I get this opportunity again, but I’d say in round one I’ll be down back.
TM: What do you want to improve on in 2013, your eighth season?
SG: Just being better around the contest to being really strong in the air and just hunting the ball again.
TM: What can Saints fans look forward to most in 2013?
SG: Just a competitive side with a hunger to win is what they are going to enjoy most out of this season. We are definitely not going in to lay down, so we want to be a good side......

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-03-18/gilbert-qa

Gilbert620_620X370.jpg
Sam Gilbert bursts away in Blacktown​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Gilbert:

Has played just 15 of a possible 44 games in the past two years and this year had his lowest tally since 2006.

Averaged his fewest disposals per match since 2006.

Recorded a poor kick rating and hte worst of any player at the club to play more than 5 games.

The opposition generated 9 points per game from his turnovers - the most of and player at the club.

2015 saw Sam Gilbert return at around the middle of the season. He slotted in at half back and was his intercepting best, however his foot skills were shown to be less than desirable. He played 11 of the 12 final games to finally get some continuity into his body. He spent the majority of the last couple months playing a mixture of defense, but primarily wing/midfield as a big body mid and averaged around 20 possessions per game through this stretch. Hopefully 2016 can be the season that Gilbert returns to his 2009 form and it will be interesting to see whether he returns prodominately to the back lines or if he continues in his big body midfield role. He moves beautifully for a man of his height, and with his frame he is a presence. His age is pivotal to the team going forwards and anyone that doesn't have him in the 22 is kidding themselves. 2015 will hopefully be seen as the platform to bigger and better things!

Think Gilbo needs some love. Stats for 2016 - played all 22 games. Looks to have become somewhat of a whipping boy for us and hasn't made many best 22's. So will be interesting to see how he goes in 2017.

upload_2017-2-15_23-33-6.png

"The 30-year-old finished just outside the top-ten in the Trevor Barker Award, polling votes at an even rate across the season.

The best game of Gilbert’s year came in the narrow loss to North Melbourne in Round 7, where he gathered 24 disposals, seven inside 50s and six rebound 50s to demonstrate how damaging he can be through the midfield.

Universally loved across the club, Gilbert was awarded the Robert Harvey Best Clubman award following another season of selfless service on the ground and away from football through his involvement in the inaugural Pride Game in Round 21"

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-28/season-review-sam-gilbert

Gilbo has really had a great year so far . At the start a lot of fans had written him off and most fans didn't have him in our best 22 anymore. But this has been possibly his most consistent year so far . Rarely has he had a poor game , in fact almost every game he's been in our top best players . Wouldn't surprise if he ends up top ten in our best and fairest for 2017. Pretty sure he will play on next year , if he keeps playing at this standard he could play for another couple of years .

Sent via Imagination, HAL traded.

Richo said they were more worried about a possible neck injury than the concussion but he has pulled up alright . He might still miss next week . Just to show how well he has played this year we are worried who is going to take his place if he misses next week .

His kicking is a worry but he tackles like a freight train. Was damn impressive last night, holding his own decently in the ruck, helping Dusty and the rest of the Tiges see little cartoon birdies and in the thick of it for most of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back