Free Agency Sam Gray [DFA, signed with Sydney]

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently attracting interest from up to four clubs including multiple Victorian clubs but "where the consistent small forward will continue his AFL career is set to depend on where other players end up".

Interest in Gray as Crows eye Port wantaway Frampton Trade

If anyone can actually open that link and get a bit more detail that'd be good.

Here's a quick question for Port fans or anyone who has watched a lot of Sam Gray Small Forward or Midfielder?
Tall forward/Ken Hinkley

Here's a quick question for Port fans or anyone who has watched a lot of Sam Gray Small Forward or Midfielder?
He's a gut running midfielder.

Doesn't get in anywhere near the right positions around the contest as a small forward. His goals are from hard running out of the midfield.

He's a gut running midfielder.

Doesn't get in anywhere near the right positions around the contest as a small forward. His goals are from hard running out of the midfield.
Sounds a little like Jack Steven to me.
has anyone seen enough of both to make that sort of comparison?

Sounds a little like Jack Steven to me.
has anyone seen enough of both to make that sort of comparison?
I possibly have't seen enough of either but from what I have seen I would not compare Sam Gray to Jack Steven. The best comparison for Sam Gray that I can think of would be Jack Higgins from Richmond. As a midfielder he seems to be able to get his hands on the ball enough and he has some tricks but he is probably too small and not quite good enough to play as an inside midfielder in that Port Power team so he gets pushed to the forward line even though he is not a natural forward. Hopefully he plays midfield wherever he goes because I think that is his best position.

His best position would be hff pushing up becoming another mid then pushing forward.

Where as at port he sometimes plays that role but far too often gets pushed into playing kf while Dixon takes marks on the wing (******* Hinkley)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think they are worth?

Neither are worth a lot alone, I'm not sure they are worth too much more together
4th for Ryder, 3rd or 4th for Gray.

Or 3rd combined.

Not an irrelevant 12 pick upgrade.

Hawks, Dogs, Blues, and Saints are keen. All of these clubs are either busy or lack trade currency, and I think he won't be high on the priority list for any team except perhaps the Hawks. Maybe this will be a trade that gets done late in the trade period depending on what the clubs have left to trade and what targets they missed out on.

He'd be valuable for a finals bound team. He can definitely have a Kane Lambert type impact in the right environment.

Whats your opinion on him as a player. Genuinely interested.

He’s an elite mid at SANFL level that’s been shoehorned as a small forward at the top level. He’s a good kick for goal and is pretty crafty, but has tended to be the type to kick bags of 3 or 4 against Gold Coast or Carlton and then not touch it against decent sides. He’s played a weird role up forward for us where he’s often been a midget marking target rather than a crumber.

He’s an elite mid at SANFL level that’s been shoehorned as a small forward at the top level. He’s a good kick for goal and is pretty crafty, but has tended to be the type to kick bags of 3 or 4 against Gold Coast or Carlton and then not touch it against decent sides. He’s played a weird role up forward for us where he’s often been a midget marking target rather than a crumber.

So would it be fair to say Hinkley is playing him out of position? Sacrificing his game to bring it to ground perhaps?

Looking on footywire at his games where he scored 90+ supercoach this year

Eagles - 127
kangas - 103
lions - 102
suns - 101
cats - 93
bombers - 92
crows - 92

I find it interesting you say delist when the above says otherwise. Could be more consistant if played in position? Had a better role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back