Sam Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Say what you want about his selection over Marshall. Most of us agree that it was a poor decision, and that Marshall didn't deserve to come out of the side.

But Sam Gray has certainly proven he should be in this side.

4 goals tonight, with 28 touches. 26 touches, 8 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals against the reigning premiers. 3 goals against the Tigers.

He's become an effective cog in our forward line and more than deserves his spot. I'd like to propose a toast to one of the last Port Magpies and a player who has overcome poor form to once again hit his stride and become a big contributor for our football club.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looks better when he's not the lone midget forward against 3 defenders but it happened again tonight, I just don't know why it happens or why our forward structure is set up like that in the first place (Sam Gray sitting in the goal square alone while every other forward is outside).

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He looked delist worthy against Brisbane but his last three weeks have been phenomenal.

Hopefully he keeps this up! Love Sam Gray ❤️

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
If Trav didn’t get the medal, Sam was my vote!

Great game once again and absolutely makes our side stronger!

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
He was still the wrong choice to replace Marshall in the role that he did.

Now that he's been moved into this midfield linkman style role where he can drift forward, he's much more useful and dangerous. Credit to him, he's had a huge few weeks and if they'd given him the medal tonight I wouldn't have complained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looks better when he's not the lone midget forward against 3 defenders but it happened again tonight, I just don't know why it happens or why our forward structure is set up like that in the first place (Sam Gray sitting in the goal square alone while every other forward is outside).
So much this. Spat chips when it happened.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sam Gray plays with heart and soul. Port Adelaide through and through. The only problem is he will now get more attention from the opposition and others need to step up. If it was Wingard doing what he was doing, we would be screaming All Australian. At this rate, he should make the AA side for his position.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Credit where it's due, 28 and 4 is an unreal return. He's really consistent at the moment and good things usually happen when he's in amongst it.

Hated him being selected over Marshall. In many respects, he is this squad's Tom Logan - you must be better than him to get a game.

He pretty constantly puts himself where the ball is going and generally finishes pretty well. All that being said, his form tracks closely to the team form line. He isn't going to be the one who leads us out of trouble, but he will contribute when the team is, as they say in the classics, up and about.

Hated him being selected over Marshall. In many respects, he is this squad's Tom Logan - you must be better than him to get a game.

In fairness to Sammy I don't recall Tom Logan ever having 54 touches and 6 goals in a two week period.

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
One of our only reliable set-shots. Which I seem to remember is partly down to him spending time a lot of extra time over summer with a psychologist, and then putting what he learned into practice on the track. Gotta be in the zone. Now if only the rest of the team could get on the same page.....

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think the criticism of his selection was fair coming from a structure perspective.

However, some of the crap posted on this board that attacked his ability and at time his character was disgraceful and largely untrue.

I think the criticism of his selection was fair coming from a structure perspective.

However, some of the crap posted on this board that attacked his ability and at time his character was disgraceful and largely untrue.

I think very few people have directly attacked Sam Gray, they're attacking Hinkley's perception of Sam Gray.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One of our only reliable set-shots. Which I seem to remember is partly down to him spending time a lot of extra time over summer with a psychologist, and then putting what he learned into practice on the track. Gotta be in the zone. Now if only the rest of the team could get on the same page.....
A few others could use that one on one with the psychologist I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back