Past Sam 'Horse' Michael (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I have heard that Sam is a Trojan horse, there are hundreds of tiny little men inside him operating his functions.

Actually I have heard that Sam is a Trojan horse, there are hundreds of tiny little men inside him operating his functions.

Eddie_Murphy_in_Meet_Dave_Wallpaper_2_800.jpg

I reckon Harding probably meant that Sam works like a 'draught' horse, 'Clydesdale' etc. A trojan horse is something completely different.

Probably meant "works like a Trojan", which would have been ok.

Hungry Michael's making his mark
20 June 2013
Sam Canavan

Horse is a fitting nickname for Sam Michael. The 19-year-old was given the moniker in his early days at Redland, on account of his monumental eating ability, but since being drafted to Brisbane it’s now apparent the tag works on another level.

But horse isn’t the only handle Michael answers to; in fact, there’s a decidedly less flattering name more widely used in Lions’ circles. “Jesse O’Brien gave me the nickname of “dads” when I first came to the club, and it’s proved impossible to shake,” Michael laughs. “It’s been expanded to “dadsy,” and it’s got to the point where absolutely everyone involved with the Lions calls me it: from Vossy, to Browny, to the fans. “I can’t remember the last time I was called Sam.” But what on earth does the nickname mean, considering fatherhood isn’t something Michael’s planning on embracing anytime soon? “It stands for dumb as dog...umm…you can work the rest out!”

Clearly his teammates don’t think he’s the brightest spark, and Harding laughs that he “comes across a little bit slow at times,” but Michael is refreshingly honest to talk to, and well-spoken too. After being taken by the Lions with pick 96 in the 2011 rookie draft, Michael’s progressed steadily, and one gets the sense he’ll continue to get better the longer he’s in an AFL environment.

Where are your club's rookies at?

Sam Michael

One of the club's most physically gifted athletes, the versatile Michael got his first taste of senior action this season. At 199cm and 98kg, the 20-year-old is one of the biggest at the club, but also one of its best runners. Has played both ends of the ground in the reserves and got two games at senior level. Like Bourke, should be retained as the Lions continue to hunt for tall players.

Bit better from Michael this week. He was our leading disposal getter early on with about five disposals in the first half of the first quarter, and then had another five for the rest of the game. At a guess he played about 40% in the ruck, but most intriguing was the other 60%, where he played in defence. It's thought by most that he is a better forward than backman, yet without Brown and without Merrett, he still goes back.

Bit better from Michael this week. He was our leading disposal getter early on with about five disposals in the first half of the first quarter, and then had another five for the rest of the game. At a guess he played about 40% in the ruck, but most intriguing was the other 60%, where he played in defence. It's thought by most that he is a better forward than backman, yet without Brown and without Merrett, he still goes back.

I thought he done a good job on Podsiadley.

He didn't look as lost at senior level as he has. He wasn't exactly playing on the greatest of opponents but I thought he showed signs. Took a couple of decent marks, didn't get completely monstered in the ruck and seemed to read the game OK.

It is interesting that we're willing to play our 2nd ruckman down back. Goose has done it a bit too, follow the ruck-forward into the ruck contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think he would be kept on. Can play as a Key Defender or Key Forward and play in the ruck. Pretty happy with how he is coming along.

I wouldn't say I'm happy, but against Geelong he was showing enough competence to merit staying on for another season. Probably not on the senior list though.

IMO there'd be a limited number of key forwards Sam would match up well against. He's not the most agile of beasts.

But if most clubs play that lumbering ruck-forward type player, then that match up might present itself most weeks.

I still see him as a forward prospect though.

I see Michael as one of those great versatile players similar in a sense to Staker (maybe?) - I'm hoping he'll be a good forward prospect but could also seeing him go back at times and into the Ruck.

Thought he started well on Saturday but faded prewtty quickly. Can see why he would dominate at the lower level given the serious drop down in pace, but at AFL level he is going to have to improve his speed/agility to make it. Just seems to struggle to get to the contest at the moment. But definitely worth another rookie spot next year unless someone better comes along.

Whilst he has a good tank, he is quite sluggish across the ground and (as others have said) is limited in who he can match up on when played in defence. His attributes fit that of the forward/ruck role imo.

In saying that, I've never been as high on Sam as others mainly because I don't see what position he plays or what he adds at AFL level. He's not a dangerous enough forward, and is a below average in the ruck.

I became interested in SM when we were looking to send Tippett 'Home' before that all blew up in our faces. While i may have gone a bit early declaring id be happy with a straight swap i dont see why he wouldnt be able to play a Tippett type role. He has the same physical attributes as Tippett, if not better fitness. Tippett came from a basketball background so has learned his footballing ability relatively recently. I dont see what makes one an $800kpa forward/ruck and one a take it or leave it rookie. From what ive read too he has a good training work ethic and prepares well.

Looks to give it off by hand most times, so kicking, for him, must be a worry.

He takes a long time to wind up and get his ball onto the boot, (ie. even longer than your average big man).

Given his attributes it's very hard to see him making it at AFL as anything but a big forward taking pack marks and a relief ruckman (<20% ruck time). Still young and raw but the best work I've seen him do is being interviewed for Lions TV.

Reminds me a little of Kosi.
  • Not quite huge enough to physically monster opponents (i.e. Tippett, Hawkins etc)
  • Not quite sharp and diligent enough to consistently outpoint good opponents (i.e. Justin Clark)
  • Not quite clever or athletic enough to create contests that other can't get to yet (i.e. Nick Riewoldt, JJK).
Still, there is a big opportunity for part-time ruckman as long as they have another string to their bow. I think he could do worse than model himself in the short term on Justin Clark.

Hopefully that backline experience is a pathway to teaching him how to play forward in the medium term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back