Past Sam 'Horse' Michael (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me a little of Kosi.
  • Not quite huge enough to physically monster opponents (i.e. Tippett, Hawkins etc)
  • Not quite sharp and diligent enough to consistently outpoint good opponents (i.e. Justin Clark)
  • Not quite clever or athletic enough to create contests that other can't get to yet (i.e. Nick Riewoldt, JJK).
Still, there is a big opportunity for part-time ruckman as long as they have another string to their bow. I think he could do worse than model himself in the short term on Justin Clark.

Hopefully that backline experience is a pathway to teaching him how to play forward in the medium term.

Possibly a James Sellar prototype. A bits and pieces man. Probably worth another year as a rookie.

Congrats Sammy!!

600644_10152133492061410_317908349_n.jpg

2013 Review - by POBT

Not unexpectedly, Sam Michael spent 2013 learning more about his game. He remains a work in progress, albeit one with some very useful attributes.

Michael's form in the Reserves was good leading to selection in the NEAFL North rep side that faced off against the best in the SANFL. As he has made a habit of doing, Michael lifted playing a higher standard of footy. As a ruck-forward, he was named the best player for the NEAFL North and certainly lost nothing in comparison to his opponents from the stronger league.

That game lead to a debut at senior level against Carlton in round 9. It would be fair to say that he did not look particularly comfortable in that game or the following one against Collingwood. Having said that, the Lions played poorly in both fixtures, making it more difficult for a youngster to slot in.

Michael continued to play well at NEAFL level throughout the season, showing the capacity to go forward or back as well as take a turn in the ruck. He got another chance at senior level in the last game of the year, with a much improved effort against the Cats.

As a KPP rookie, Michael is probably just on or even slightly ahead of the expected development curve. He is notably one of the best runners at the club and is developing a strong physique. He attacks the game with vigour and certainly lifts for the big occasion. He still lacks a lot of game sense, particularly when played forward. In defence, where he has the simple task of following/spoiling, his lack of nous is less evident.

Michael is not being spoken of as a round 1 possibility and that is probably fair enough. He's also got his work cut out to make it at senior level with the Lions now flush with options both forward and back, albeit at varying levels of quality. Next season is probably make or break. If he can get more senior time and show a level of form improved on his performance against Geelong, he could put himself in front of a few others. But if he remains a reserves player, then 2014 will probably be the end of the road as a Lion.

Interesting they have him as a ruckman forward ... I thought we had him hopefully as a forward who could ruck...

I still think his future is as a KPD. He reminds me a lot of Merrett in his early days (remember his iron-hands when trying to mark, and tendency to handball off rather than kick - he's come a hell of a long way since).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Local Queensland product Sam Michael might hail from Cairns, but a trip to Townsville would probably be the next best thing to a homecoming for the bubbly 20-year-old.

The Brisbane Lions are set to face local rivals, the Gold Coast SUNS, in Townsville this Sunday, and Michael is hopeful of returning to familiar territory.

“I’ve got a few friends up there and my wife’s family are also from Townsville, so I’ve got another connection there,” Michael told Sea FM radio during the team’s recent AFL Community Camp.

“It should be exciting. Hopefully I’ll be able to take part in that game. It’s always good to go back home and play – I’ve actually played at Tony Ireland Stadium in Townsville before with junior footy.”

Michael played the bulk of his junior football in Northern Queensland, specifically in Cairns (which is a further 350km north of Townsville), and even matched-up on Gold Coast giant Charlie Dixon on occasion.

“I played for the Manundah Hawks footy club. I was there right through until Under 16s, so they played a huge part in my development,” Michael said.

“I played footy against Charlie Dixon when I was in Cairns. He’s a couple of years older than me and had a few kilos on me.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-17/northern-exposure

If you hail from Cairns, a trip to Townsville is not the next best thing to a homecoming. It's roughly on the list with having your testicles removed or selling Elton John albums door to door in Afghanistan.

If you hail from Cairns, a trip to Townsville is not the next best thing to a homecoming. It's roughly on the list with having your testicles removed or selling Elton John albums door to door in Afghanistan.
Reckon Cat Stevens would be popular though.

Anyone pointed out yet that this the YEAR OF THE HORSE!!!!

Still devastated we didn't trade you Michael for that overrated sook Tippett (opinion of Tippett may have something to do with him not loving us back)

Anyone pointed out yet that this the YEAR OF THE HORSE!!!!

Still devastated we didn't trade you Michael for that overrated sook Tippett (opinion of Tippett may have something to do with him not loving us back)

That made more sense when I realized it was posted by someone from Adelaide! :cool:

That made more sense when I realized it was posted by someone from Adelaide! :cool:
I went a little early back when you guys were interested in Tippett and we still thought home for Tippett was QLD (given that, you know, thats where his family is and all) and I declared id take a straight swap for Michael based on his being pretty much a body double for Kurnt and reports of his running endurance, so ive taken a keen interest in him since then.

Unfortunately he is stagnating in a big way at the worst possible time... New coach, last year of his rookie eligibility. Gawn sadly.

He had some injury problems at the start of the season didn't he?

It drives home how important timing is when you're a rookie.

I really want to see him do well. Hes in the Tippett mould, and we have Jenkins growing into that role now, and its taken a long time but at 25 (i think) hes really looking like having a breakout year. I hope that you are able to persist with him and that he pays off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back