Roast Sam Jacobs - no fridge, no cupboard, just the bin!

Should Sauce have played?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Deserves its own thread because it symbolises everything that is wrong with our football club. Selfish, entitled and no sense of what's best for the team.

Piss off Sauce and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Did I miss something?

He didn't play today but I presume it's because he is officially uncontracted and didn't want to risk injury to stuff up his (rumoured) move to GWS.

As someone else mentioned in another thread, Jason McCartney (who works for GWS) was in town yesterday so I presume the wheels are in motion

Love how people just instantly assume the worst of him despite the years of service he’s given us. They’ve bagged him ALL year and blamed HIM when he was given games in the firsts... when the blame lay fairly and squarely at the selectors feet. And now he’s not playing for the twos and he’s being lambasted for being a selfish prick - despite not knowing his reasoning. He could well be a selfish prick, but we (in here) will just assume he is without justification. We (fans) treat some of our players appallingly sometimes.

Love how people just instantly assume the worst of him despite the years of service he’s given us. They’ve bagged him ALL year and blamed HIM when he was given games in the firsts... when the blame lay fairly and squarely at the selectors feet. And now he’s not playing for the twos and he’s being lambasted for being a selfish prick - despite not knowing his reasoning. He could well be a selfish prick, but we (in here) will just assume he is without justification. We (fans) treat some of our players appallingly sometimes.
I think his mindset can possibly be gleaned from some comments this year about being in the 2’s and expecting to get HIS spot back.
Same can be said of JJ.
Seems to be an ingrained thought process down at the AFC.
If it was at all his decision not to play today (the SANFL coach indicated it would be partly Sams decision, that is indeed selfish. You play out the season you’re contracted for or you get the hell out.

People will make these assumptions in lieu of any sort of messaging otherwise from the club. If there was some form of injury or niggle, how hard would it be to mention that in the team release?

Given we’ve had nothing to this effect, the only logical conclusion is that he’s told us to go jump. There is something appalling here, but it ain’t the fans.

Watching us get dominated in the centre due to not having a full-time ruck is just hammering the point home.

Service...he isn't a volunteer. He gets paid.

There would be few, if any, players in the AFL that would risk half a million dollars + for a seconds game.

I don't think we should be shocked he's not some great club man who would do anything for the team, this is everyone now, it's where the game is at, there's too much business and money involved to risk it.

As much as we like to think they do, no player loves the club more than their next pay cheque.

As sad as it might be, it's going to get more and more like this as time goes on, I think supporters are going to have to get used to treating these guys like assets that belong to the club they support.

So with that said maybe the club could have or should have forced him to play, I don't really care about his feelings.

I'm certainly not a believer of "if they don't want to be here they get a free pass out".

I'm just not seeing the point of reacting to an individual for doing what most others would do as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would be few, if any, players in the AFL that would risk half a million dollars + for a seconds game.

I don't think we should be shocked he's not some great club man who would do anything for the team, this is everyone now, it's where the game is at, there's to much business and money involved to risk it.

As much as we like to think they do, no player loves the club more than their next pay cheque.

As sad as it might be, it's going to get more and more like this as time goes on, I think supporters are going to have to get used to treating these guys like assets that belong to the club they support.

So with that said maybe the club could have or should have forced him to play, I don't really care about his feelings.

I'm certainly not a believer of "if they don't want to be here they get a free pass out".

I'm just not seeing the point of reacting to an individual for doing what most others would do as well.
He's a contracted player, who still has a contract from us in front of him if he wants to sign it.

What he did today was dog his teammates who he's played with most of the season.

Peolpe complained about him playing last game over someone elses spot

Now they complaining he chose not to play

No player is gonna risk his last chance at earning money for an SANFL game.

If he played and got injured his "rumored" contract with gws (2 years) would be null and void at prob 300k $ a season... I can understand why he wouldnt play.
He's probably got a 300K contract from us if he wants to sign it. It was a dog act.

Also, from a PAFC perspective there's a large chance Frampton played against the club he will be playing for next year..... He didn't drop his bundle did he ?? Nor did Jacko who hasn't played more than 2 games since you recruited him.

He's probably got a 300K contract from us if he wants to sign it. It was a dog act.
Me personally if I was in Jacob's boots... earnt a good wage playing football for the last 10 years... he should have his life half setup (house paid off... good money in the bank) I would take the risk (never played in a premiership)

Good points on both sides of the fence... and if I was a crows supporter... then i would prob b pissed off as well...

Me personally if I was in Jacob's boots... earnt a good wage playing football for the last 10 years... he should have his life half setup (house paid off... good money in the bank) I would take the risk (never played in a premiership)

Good points on both sides of the fence... and if I was a crows supporter... then i would prob b pi**ed off as well...
Maybe that's me too, never played in a flag and would give anything to do so at any level.

Sauce probably won't either, he just **** on a decent chance.

A bit of common sense needed here. He's 31, his career is approaching the end and like any reasonable person he would want to maximise earnings before the window shuts. If he plays SANFL finals and picks up any kind of injury, his career is basically over. If you're in his position why the * do you take that kind of risk on your future?

In general I don't understand why a lot of people here seem to care so much about SANFL wins and losses. It's purely a development league for AFC purposes. My frustration with the SANFL team comes from when we do things that clearly aren't congnisant of the long term and play Douglas on the ball over Jones. If Jacobs won't be there next year then it's potentially win/win him sitting out finals as Strachan, if not for concussion, would have had a rare chance at playing first tuck. It's not like Jacobs playing or not playing is going to make a difference in us winning a SANFL premiership either when we're mandated to field over a quarter of the team from random guys off the street who are below SANFL reserve level.

Overall I just don't see much to be gained by either party if he plays and there is a hell of a lot for him to lose. He's been a good reliable player for Adelaide for a long time I don't think fans should begrudge him trying to eliminate needless risks in seeking his final payday.

A bit of common sense needed here. He's 31, his career is approaching the end and like any reasonable person he would want to maximise earnings before the window shuts. If he plays SANFL finals and picks up any kind of injury, his career is basically over. If you're in his position why the fu** do you take that kind of risk on your future?

In general I don't understand why a lot of people here seem to care so much about SANFL wins and losses. It's purely a development league for AFC purposes. My frustration with the SANFL team comes from when we do things that clearly aren't congnisant of the long term and play Douglas on the ball over Jones. If Jacobs won't be there next year then it's potentially win/win him sitting out finals as Strachan, if not for concussion, would have had a rare chance at playing first tuck. It's not like Jacobs playing or not playing is going to make a difference in us winning a SANFL premiership either when we're mandated to field over a quarter of the team from random guys off the street who are below SANFL reserve level.

Overall I just don't see much to be gained by either party if he plays and there is a hell of a lot for him to lose. He's been a good reliable player for Adelaide for a long time I don't think fans should begrudge him trying to eliminate needless risks in seeking his final payday.
I keep saying it and will do so forever..... if he gets injured he ends up playing his final year with us. He's going to be on an AFL list next year regardless.

Peolpe complained about him playing last game over someone elses spot

Now they complaining he chose not to play

No player is gonna risk his last chance at earning money for an SANFL game.

Yet hes quite willing to risk it all playing a dead rubber in Ballarat whilst keeping out the incumbent who seems to have had a mishap in the twos?

Whatever happened to him thriving on continuity?

Yeah I dont put it all on Jacob's either.
This is the attitude our culture breeds.

I keep saying it and will do so forever..... if he gets injured he ends up playing his final year with us. He's going to be on an AFL list next year regardless.
So he should just settle for 1 year reserve ruck money rather than a two year decent money contract?

Come on, put yourself in his position that's such nonsense. He has a young family and this gravy train is going to end very soon for him. Any reasonable person in his position would be trying to maximise earnings whilst he still can.

Back