Roast Sam Jacobs - no fridge, no cupboard, just the bin!

Should Sauce have played?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

True it is open to interpretation

But with the fact the AFC don't seem to have been too concerned at the fcat he pulled out, it may suggest the contract as it reads is just that, Round 23 of the AFL season then the player goes on annual leave but must attend the B and F, Which Gunston broke the agreement over

And does the AFL season include reserves games for the club? Can’t see why they wouldn’t

Totally agree with this.

Who said he had a function and 7 people showed up? That says it all. Actions speak louder than words.

Cut him some slack.
His function was held Saturday night.
Not his fault there was a footy game on.

True it is open to interpretation

But with the fact the AFC don't seem to have been too concerned at the fcat he pulled out, it may suggest the contract as it reads is just that, Round 23 of the AFL season then the player goes on annual leave but must attend the B and F, Which Gunston broke the agreement over

Not sure we can factor in the B&F as a defence after the Lever thing.

End of the day, whatever his contract says or doesn't say, Jacobs was eligible to play in the SANFL team. Andy Otten was also eligible.

Both have been given plenty by the club; Jacobs being carried to 201 games as a goodwill gesture and handed undisputed number 1 ruck status in recent seasons (despite not necessarily being deserving of this), Otten with our unwavering support through his many rehabs, playing him in a GF when that was a very questionable decision.

Otten chooses to play even after announcing his retirement, for the love of the club, footy, and likely to support the young players down back. And of course to win a SANFL flag.

Jacobs chooses not to play, reasons are unconfirmed but it definitely is not a good look.

If I was the club, I'd be pulling his one-year deal off the table.

Not sure we can factor in the B&F as a defence after the Lever thing.

End of the day, whatever his contract says or doesn't say, Jacobs was eligible to play in the SANFL team. Andy Otten was also eligible.

Both have been given plenty by the club; Jacobs being carried to 201 games as a goodwill gesture and handed undisputed number 1 ruck status in recent seasons (despite not necessarily being deserving of this), Otten with our unwavering support through his many rehabs, playing him in a GF when that was a very questionable decision.

Otten chooses to play even after announcing his retirement, for the love of the club, footy, and likely to support the young players down back. And of course to win a SANFL flag.

Jacobs chooses not to play, reasons are unconfirmed but it definitely is not a good look.

If I was the club, I'd be pulling his one-year deal off the table.

Since you like to cast opinions

What do you believe Jacobs reason was?

And does the AFL season include reserves games for the club? Can’t see why they wouldn’t

Reading the employment contract it seems pretty clear cut and it is written around the AFL season not SANFL, there is no ambiguity its very clear cut as it should be

Of course it was negotiated by the AFLPA to protect the players as thats their job, It could have even been requested by Birdman or Pav for all we know quite ironic really

Reading the employment contract it seems pretty clear cut and it is written around the AFL season not SANFL, there is no ambiguity its very clear cut as it should be

Of course it was negotiated by the AFLPA to protect the players as thats their job, It could have even been requested by Birdman or Pav for all we know quite ironic really

It’s written about AFL clubs and the games they participate in

I understand the argument around having a contract,I think it comes down to respect, the respect you have for your teammates, the respect you want to earn from your teammates, $ is not what it’s about if you leave with your head held high and you have gained the respect of your piers I would be happy and known I have done the honourable thing,let’s face it a contract only really determines the $

I understand the argument around having a contract,I think it comes down to respect, the respect you have for your teammates, the respect you want to earn from your teammates, $ is not what it’s about if you leave with your head held high and you have gained the respect of your piers I would be happy and known I have done the honourable thing,let’s face it a contract only really determines the $

You are correct its not around the contract

Was anyone critical of the AFC when they told Nathan Bock to clear out his locker before the season end when he announced he would be signing with the suns, and not even bother to come to training your not permitted, yet he was still mates with the boys, I actually saw him surfing with Perrie, shirley and Biglands once

Or is that more acceptable

It’s written about AFL clubs and the games they participate in

Very clear it only discusses the AFL season as it has no control over the SANFL season obviously, and when the SANFL run their season and how they choose to schedule it, they may decide to start later and finish later but that's their choice no one elses .

Interesting one is the B and F, they MAY be required to attend so I guess that is the loophole for Gunston

9.1 Post Season Leave
(a) A Player shall be entitled to Leave between his Club’s Season Conclusion Date and its Recommencement Date (Post Season Leave).
(b) A Club’s Season Conclusion Date shall be the Tuesday after the Club’s final match of the AFL Season, except that:

(i) if the Club provides Players days off on the Monday and Tuesday following its final match, then the Season Conclusion Date may be the Wednesday after the final match;
(ii) if a Club wins the Grand Final, the Season Conclusion Date may be the Wednesday after the Grand Final;
(iii) if a Club used reasonable endeavours to complete individual medical screenings and follow up activities prior to the Season Conclusion Date but was unable to do so, Players may be required to attend for such activities reasonably after the Season Conclusion Date;
(iv) Players may be required to attend the Club’s Best and Fairest, which shall be scheduled no later than the weekend following the Grand Final.
(c) In each year, the AFL will determine the Recommencement Date, provided that:
(i) the Recommencement Date for Clubs that did not participate in weeks 2-4 of the Finals Series shall not be prior to the date determined by the AFL and AFLPA in mid-November;
(ii) the Recommencement Date for Clubs that participated in weeks 2-4 of the Finals Series shall not be prior to 1 December;
(iii) a Club may require players with four or less years on an AFL Primary List to return for developmental training two weeks prior to its Recommencement Date; and
(iv) each Player shall receive a minimum of six weeks Leave prior to the Recommencement Date.

So do you think for example that say a Saints player wouldn’t play for Sandringham in the VFL finals series?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are correct its not around the contract

Was anyone critical of the AFC when they told Nathan Bock to clear out his locker before the season end when he announced he would be signing with the suns, and not even bother to come to training your not permitted, yet he was still mates with the boys, I actually saw him surfing with Perrie, shirley and Biglands once

Or is that more acceptable
I’m a bit old school on that, the club has the power to terminate you, I’m there and get paid to which we have agreed $ to player footy, I absolutely understand your point, we may just have different principles and I’m not saying who’s right and wrong

So do you think for example that say a Saints player wouldn’t play for Sandringham in the VFL finals series?

His decision if he wants to go outside of the agreement that he signed, he doesn't have to though

Gets down to why Sam wouldn't want to play, Ive asked that question on why would he say no to playing, its clear he has no contractural arrangements to.

Why do you think he doesnt want to play or was it adelaide not wanting him to play because he is leaving like they did with Nathan bock, or did GWS make a request to Sam

Could be any of those three reasons but unfortunatly we dont know

I’m a bit old school on that, the club has the power to terminate you, I’m there and get paid to which we have agreed $ to player footy, I absolutely understand your point, we may just have different principles and I’m not saying who’s right and wrong

No one is right or wrong as we don't know why, if it was Adealide, as they did with Bock that told Sam to pack his bags or GWS making a request to Sam or Sam himself after an injury plagued year

No one is right or wrong as we don't know why, if it was Adealide, as they did with Bock that told Sam to pack his bags or GWS making a request to Sam or Sam himself after an injury plagued year
You are probably right we don’t know who made that call and I’m arguing my case on him not wanting to play which is wrong for me to base my opinion on that

Last edited:
Hospitals?

I am sure plenty of other people work back beyond their paid time to get work done.

Particularly if you are on a set salary.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Should not be run as businesses, but to the extent that they are should pay people for their work.

His decision if he wants to go outside of the agreement that he signed, he doesn't have to though

Gets down to why Sam wouldn't want to play, Ive asked that question on why would he say no to playing, its clear he has no contractural arrangements to.

Why do you think he doesnt want to play or was it adelaide not wanting him to play because he is leaving like they did with Nathan bock, or did GWS make a request to Sam

Could be any of those three reasons but unfortunatly we dont know
Someone actually posted on the board here that the club stated it was up to Jacobs to choose whether or not to play

You are probably right we don’t know who made that call and I’m arguing my case on him not wanting to play which is wrong

Im only stating his contract which shows nothing was done wrong according to the rules

Peoples moral opinions are another thing, but in this world of AFL, players screw clubs but clubs screw the players, imagine being on holidays and getting a phone call to say your moving states mate, or on the other hand a player holding a club to ransom

Does anyone wonder why in the world of professional sport there is zero loyalty

Its not like playing for the Happy Valley Vikings

Unfortunately real world pressures dictate that is not always the case.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So the 'real world' view is that businesses shouldnt have to pay people for their labour? That's your wordly view?

Back