Sam Mayes potential?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you. Mayes and Taylor are great young players and if we can keep them at our club, we will have a promising future. He's played only 20 games but his skills are already amazing.

whats the current odds on him to be our leading goalkicker this year? Would be worth a punt I reckon

Depends where he is played, if played in the forward line definit potential, although prob wont beat Staker or mcGuane if they come back soonish.
Ummm he is quite easily one of our most dangerous players around goal mate. Not sure how staker who averaged less disposals and goals likewise McGuane could possibly take his position. If your trying to say that when McGuane or Staker come back he will be moved into the midfield/wings then yes I agree. He has the potential to be an amazing half forward/ midfielder his disposal is pretty spot on.

Ummm he is quite easily one of our most dangerous players around goal mate. Not sure how staker who averaged less disposals and goals likewise McGuane could possibly take his position. If your trying to say that when McGuane or Staker come back he will be moved into the midfield/wings then yes I agree. He has the potential to be an amazing half forward/ midfielder his disposal is pretty spot on.
From memory, Staker had more goals last year than Mayes and, l know that is primarily due to him more being in the midfield. I agree he was our most dangerous goal kicker in the Geelong game. However, l rekin he will be used in the midfield as well leaving Staker and McGuane with most of their time in the forward line. Dont get me wrong, l would love him to be a massive goal kicker. Hopefully he teach Redden to get a few as well.

Apart from anything his disposal efficiency for the 1st 2 games sits at around 75% - makes him very valuable especially in our team's context. Our team average is 66% in a league where many teams average in the early 70's. Those few % points make a big difference.

Last edited:
Came here to post about how impressed I have been by Mayes.

I think it was Wallace pre-draft (or just after the draft) that said Mayes wouldn't be anything more than average or wouldn't be able to transition from SANFL to AFL or something like that. How wrong was he.

He's Wingard without the fanfare. Deserves more recognition.

****en gun.

Came here to post about how impressed I have been by Mayes.

I think it was Wallace pre-draft (or just after the draft) that said Mayes wouldn't be anything more than average or wouldn't be able to transition from SANFL to AFL or something like that. How wrong was he.

He's Wingard without the fanfare. Deserves more recognition.

****en gun.

Better disposal than wingard. Keeps kicking goals he'll be up there with. Such talent at a young age for both

But for mine, Mayes is not an A grader and could face battles getting a game down the track as the side improves.

In other Hammo related news, how is the Josh Green v Sam Reid debate looking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sams kicking is already top class. Definitely rate him more with the ball in hand looking for a team mate. Not saying wingard is an average kick I just didn't see much of him outside of kicking goals last seasons.
I just think Wingard has had more time to showcase his potential in a permanent position last year. Both guys are obviously extremely talented though.

If Mayes plays this role forward throughout the year, I expect 45-60 goals, we get enough ball in his direction and we might see some 5 plus goal games from him.

Gun in the making. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Wingard comparisons just yet though...

I like the idea of having both Mayes and Bewick in the same forward line, once Bewick sorts out his field kicking. They are both smaller targets obviously, but given most teams only really have one defender suited to playing that sort of role, having two smaller targets in the side could be a unique way of stretching opposition defence.

If the two combine for three-four goals a game between them, and Mayes spends some time running through the middle as well, it'll make our forward line that little bit more potent and unpredictable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back