Sam Mayes potential?

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know he is only a young player and he is yet to receive much opposition attention but bloody hell he is good around goal. He is without a doubt our most accurate kick in our team and he works so hard to find space. I was curious as to everyone's opinion of how good Mayesie can become. He has been exceptional up forward not only this year but last year as well but he also has the potential to play in the midfield and rack up touches but he only needs 15-20 possessions to make an impact. I can easily see young Sam being our best player in 3-5 years time and I can seem him becoming a genuine A grader with averages of around 25 possessions and the potential to kick a couple of goals a game. What do you guys think?

Rivanwarder

Senior List
Mar 29, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, Arsenal
Love the guy and am REALLY happy he has extended his contract. Every week he seems to show something new.

The Teacher

Team Captain
Nov 25, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Greetings Viewers

Must agree… with limited opportunities Sam Mayes was a standout today.

I thought that last tear he was more of a HBF or wing. He even spent a little time in the mid-field in the 4th quarter.

Looking forward to him getting even more involved.

Regards

Dicko

loyallion

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2005
Somewhere.......
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts Detroit Lions
I know he is only a young player and he is yet to receive much opposition attention but bloody hell he is good around goal. He is without a doubt our most accurate kick in our team and he works so hard to find space. I was curious as to everyone's opinion of how good Mayesie can become. He has been exceptional up forward not only this year but last year as well but he also has the potential to play in the midfield and rack up touches but he only needs 15-20 possessions to make an impact. I can easily see young Sam being our best player in 3-5 years time and I can seem him becoming a genuine A grader with averages of around 25 possessions and the potential to kick a couple of goals a game. What do you guys think?
Was extremely worried that we would lose him at the end of last year Glad he bucked the trend and agreed to stay I am gonna cop flack for saying this but he sorta reminds me of darryl white crossed with A Lynch.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In terms of the type of player he is, the best comparison I can think of is James Hird.
He has that similar quality of not doing anything that looks particularly flashy or impressive, just has the knack of being able to put himself in position to get the ball. Not sure he has Hird's marking ability, but he looks to have taken his game to another level this year already.

Back