Sam Mayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Dead of winter is when these experienced depth players come in handy. Rocky would be great to have available but Mayes should definitely be in the team. He's a little plain but right now plain is fine. Just gets the job done.

Mayes didn't even kick the clincher, Lycett did. That headline has almost everything wrong except for Mayes' name

Sam Mayes is an underrated player by some. Sam's great strength is his versatility as he can play forward or back. Add to that his 111 AFL games experience and it makes him the perfect sub and a valuable asset on our list.

I assume Sam will be credited with an SANFL game and an AFL game on the same day. How often has that happened?

Sam Mayes is an underrated player by some. Sam's great strength is his versatility as he can play forward or back. Add to that his 111 AFL games experience and it makes him the perfect sub and a valuable asset on our list.

I assume Sam will be credited with an SANFL game and an AFL game on the same day. How often has that happened?
I think I recall it once before when one of the Rucks went down with Back Spasms, maybe Brogan?

I can recall Mark Harwood being taken off the ground latish in the first half of a Maggie's game at Alberton and kicking 2 or 3 goals in a Power win that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I just wrote in the game day thread, Mayes plays forward until all of Raz, Gray and Zak are back

He was solid tonight. Couple of goals, was involved in a fair bit of play. Hits the body hard and does his job.

I've always thought he shows so much, then jsut doesn't get better like he looks like he might. Definitely the best option we have at the moment though while we have injuries so hopefully he goes on with it this time

A sub-editor at The Sunday Mail owes you a beer.

View attachment 1165812

I was simultaneously appalled and amused by when I saw this. Thank God it wasn't a cover page containing Covid lockdown information or something really important.

In my twisted mind the only thing that could have been funnier was if they had a picture of someone other than Mayes on display. Are fact-checkers still a thing in print journalism or are they just going with a blogger mentality now?

Mayes is the exact kind of depth you look for in a premiership side. An experienced, composed and reliable body who can play in multiple positions. Has definitely found his spot now up forward with stints in the midfield rather than on the flank.

Depending on how our injuries go, I could very well see him being our version of Dom Sheed in 2018 - was stuck in the WAFL for a while and couldn't get a game at the Eagles until Gaff killed Brayshaw. I would take Mayes in over Bonner, Woodcock or Williams every day of the week.

I think people take a while to warm up to him because he doesn't have those flashy moments or X-factor but when you're surrounded by Motlop, Rozee and hopefully Gray, Butters and Fantasia soon, it's not like we are sorely lacking that element in the mix. I'd give him a run until we get the cavalry back and see how we go.

Mayes is the exact kind of depth you look for in a premiership side. An experienced, composed and reliable body who can play in multiple positions. Has definitely found his spot now up forward with stints in the midfield rather than on the flank.

Depending on how our injuries go, I could very well see him being our version of Dom Sheed in 2018 - was stuck in the WAFL for a while and couldn't get a game at the Eagles until Gaff killed Brayshaw. I would take Mayes in over Bonner, Woodcock or Williams every day of the week.

I think people take a while to warm up to him because he doesn't have those flashy moments or X-factor but when you're surrounded by Motlop, Rozee and hopefully Gray, Butters and Fantasia soon, it's not like we are sorely lacking that element in the mix. I'd give him a run until we get the cavalry back and see how we go.

Not just this, but he cracks in. He doesn't just wait out the back for the easy ball/goal. Goes and wins his own footy when required and is tough enough to take the game on.

Just great mature depth to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back