Sam Mayes

Remove this Banner Ad

From the sounds of his recent interview on FiveAA, it sounds like Burton think he'll be lining up across half-back. I guess that leaves one of the wings for Sam to make his own.

We're a bit light on for wingers, hopefully at the very least he keeps up the competition for a place in the side.

I wonder if Ollie didn’t slide to us, if Sam would be in the conversation for skipper?

I wonder if Ollie didn’t slide to us, if Sam would be in the conversation for skipper?
That is a literal "sliding-doors" question! I know there are some who bag our development of players, but I reckon that if we had picked Mayes back then, he would have had a more heralded career to this point. I have watched quite a few of his games up here in Brissie, and I too reckon he is going to surprise some of the naysayers!

I was really keen on mayes in his draft was super impressive as a under 18 rewatched them highlights the other night worth a watch.

Nailed it. Kind of felt the club stalled his development under the Leppa era when he was moved to the half back flank.

Had a really good 2017 and looked like he was about to take the next step. Plenty of personal issues this year and he is very much a confidence player. He’ll come on leaps and bounds now I think.

Favourite opposition player now. Wish nothing for the best for Sammy and so does everyone at the club.

Yes!!! Watched a few games of his last year and felt he looked out of place and almost aimless. He lacked impact and his poor kicking suprised me from what I had seen previously. Maybe i watched a few of his poor games or didnt understand his role?
Would be great to see him on a wing and get his confidence back. Seems a genuine, team orientated player who left Brissy on good terms. Lets back him in.

The reservations about Mayes are because for every Jared Polec there is a Jimmy Toumpas

Both Polec and Toumpas were highly rated juniors who went high in the draft. Both were underperforming at their clubs
Polec has become a great player and rated as one of the best wingers in the competition
Toumpas was still finishing his time trial when they finally put the tarps around him and shot him

No one knows how this will turn out. We are praying he will live up to his potential while also praying he doesn't end up being an ok SANFL player who is a bust at AFL level.

All i can say is give the kid a go. Dont put too much pressure on him (instant Polec replacement) and see how he goes
If he can become a good solid AFL player for us then its a win. If he becomes elite then its a bonus

Last edited:
The reservations about Mayes are because for every Jared Polec there is a Jimmy Toumpas

Both Polec and Toumpas were highly rated juniors who went high in the draft. Both were underperforming at their clubs
Polec has become a great player and rated as one of the best wingers in the competition
Toumpas was still finishing his time trial when they finally put the tarps around him and shot him

No one knows how this will turn out. We are praying he will live up to his reputation while also praying he doesn't end up being an ok SANFL player who is a bust at AFL level.

All i can say is give the kid a go. Dont put too much pressure on him (instant Polec replacement) and see how he goes
If he can become a good solid AFL player for us then its a win. If he becomes elite then its a bonus

Mayes has already played more than double the amount of games that Polec and Toumpas combined had played before they got here. On that basis alone it’s likely he’ll be more of a Polec than a Toumpas IMO.

No one knows how this will turn out. We are praying he will live up to his potential while also praying he doesn't end up being an ok SANFL player who is a bust at AFL level.

Whilst this all makes sense. You can look deeper into how each player played. Polec and Mayes both have clear weapons that had been displayed at afl level at some point.

Toumpas possessed no quality that made you think he could be an afl player especially after he lost his speed. His hip issues really screwed him.

Whilst Mayes might not be as good as Polec, he definitely offers something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would know that he has some massive work to do and break into our best 22. Lets hope the lad finds his career best form. Been a while since many of our existing and new players had career best years with exception of a couple....

Backing the lad in

Please stop comparing him to Toumpas! Totally different bag of chips! Toumpas suffered career-killing hip injuries before he was even drafted! Checkmate for the poor bugger!

Mayes is a very good player that has huge scope for further improvement.
i certainly wasnt comparing them.

I was merely pointing out that theres some fear of trading in highly rated underperformers from other clubs due to the Toumpas experience

i certainly wasnt comparing them.

I was merely pointing out that theres some fear of trading in highly rated underperformers from other clubs due to the Toumpas experience
It was a general comment to any that are. Toumpas' hips were jiggered before he played a game. Mayes is a 100 game player who had a poor year due to personal issues back in SA.

Talking about unlinkable linking of Fatty T to Mayes. Old man said he saw Buuttccchherrr playing in the NTFL for Nightcliff as a mid.

At some point he ran across half back, which is where Sam Mayes sometimes runs - link!

Every time I see talk of Port players they are all playing off half-back, cripes we won't let a single thing through our defence this year.

He said he's been playing wing during the preseason. Where did you get half-back from?

The jurnos kept asking him why he chose to come to port.
He did his best to dodge the true answer of “nobody else would take me”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah? I didnt hear that at all! One reporter want to know did he approach Port, or did Port come to him, and he just fobbed him off with 'it was handled by the managers.' Fair enough too. He was always wanting to come back home, and the only other club would be Adelaide, but they were not in the picture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back