Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see Sam was a love child on this board.

I liked him and hoped for the best, but what I saw of him playing it doesn't surprise me that he is de-listed.

He sounds like a great kid though so i wish him all the best.

Good Chance another Team Signs has a DFA or Draft him as a Rookie
Needs a bit more development, so perhaps a year or two smashing down the door in the VFL is needed. Would be good to see him get a chance though.

No one here, myself included, knows precisely what Sam can or can't hear with the assistance of his implant.

No one here, myself included, knows exactly how Sam's ability to recognise sounds and determine their direction, or to understand speech, is impacted by various levels and types of ambient sound.

There's no such thing as a simple deaf/hearing divide.

My hearing loss is different to Sam's. His is different to every other person with a hearing impairment. There are different generations of cochlear implant with different capabilities. How each person responds to their implant varies. And can improve/change over time.

Us saying Sam's deaf so he can't play effective footy at a packed MCG, especially when he never played a single game there, just isn't fair.

But I respect the decision of the club and while I'd like to know exactly why he was delisted, that's between him and them and what they want to share with all of us.

I hope he makes it elsewhere. But you can tell just by listening to him talk for 5 minutes that he'll be just fine no matter what happens in his footy career.

Fairly disappointed with Sam's delisting but list spots are really tight at the moment and he is one of the unfortunate ones to make way. Not sure if the hearing impediment was seen as too much of an issue in the end or that the club didn't see him with the tools to make it.

Would have liked for them to persevere for a bit longer. Young versatile talls, with a couple of pre seasons under their belt, don't grow on trees. We gave Corey Gault 5 years to show something!

All the best of the future Sam and hope that another club might give him a chance to continue his AFL journey.

Well as for told by others he was delisted,I did not like it then and I don,t now ,I just hope he gets a chance elsewhere and proves everybody wrong.What I find most galling is he gets the elbow and a dickhead like Murray goes onto the rookie list instead it just shits me off completely.

They may be reasons for this but it still shits me.

a dickhead like Murray goes onto the rookie list instead i

He is in contract. He has not been officially suspended yet.

What did you want us to do? Pay him out?

If we wait until his suspension is official then we can delist him and not pay him out and we can utilise the mid season draft which is supposed to be coming in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also chose to take 2 Irish talls (1 as a Cat A rookie?).
Meaning they actually think that an unknown/untried Irish recruit has more upside than McLarty?
They could have delisted McLarty & take him as a rookie...but the spot has been allocated to another.
Interesting...they were obviously convinced that McLarty wasn’t going to make it...for whatever reason.

I can see Sam was a love child on this board.

I liked him and hoped for the best, but what I saw of him playing it doesn't surprise me that he is de-listed.

He sounds like a great kid though so i wish him all the best.

Well IF he was getting De-Listed there are a Few I would say be Lucky to get another Year that where Behind McLarty

Needs a bit more development, so perhaps a year or two smashing down the door in the VFL is needed. Would be good to see him get a chance though.

Just have to see what Sam Collins did this season in the VFL

barrackers

I could see McLarty doing that over the next few Seasons IF he plays VFL

Would not be mad whatsoever if we rookied him.
Post Frawley we only got Brand(Who I do rate) as a Key Defender.
McLarty would add some depth in a position of need.
Clarko has been on record saying the most important thing in a player is their attitude and willingness to follow instructions.

I hope he gets picked up as I, like many Pies fans, like him.

No one here, myself included, knows precisely what Sam can or can't hear with the assistance of his implant.

No one here, myself included, knows exactly how Sam's ability to recognise sounds and determine their direction, or to understand speech, is impacted by various levels and types of ambient sound.

There's no such thing as a simple deaf/hearing divide.

My hearing loss is different to Sam's. His is different to every other person with a hearing impairment. There are different generations of cochlear implant with different capabilities. How each person responds to their implant varies. And can improve/change over time.

Us saying Sam's deaf so he can't play effective footy at a packed MCG, especially when he never played a single game there, just isn't fair.

But I respect the decision of the club and while I'd like to know exactly why he was delisted, that's between him and them and what they want to share with all of us.

I hope he makes it elsewhere. But you can tell just by listening to him talk for 5 minutes that he'll be just fine no matter what happens in his footy career.

Hearing impairment has zilch to do with Sam's delisting, it's an assumption based on ignorance (with all due respect).

Dimmatina played with his hearing-aid off and did just fine.

Disclosure: I suffered industrial hearing loss during my days in the military service (tanks and jets can get really loud) and subsequently played team sport just fine. There are easy ways to overcome any potential communication barrier on game day.

Last edited:
He is in contract. He has not been officially suspended yet.

What did you want us to do? Pay him out?

If we wait until his suspension is official then we can delist him and not pay him out and we can utilise the mid season draft which is supposed to be coming in.
Thanks for the reply and as I alluded to I know there reasons why we have to keep him on the list but it still shits me none the less.

The delisting would not have anything to do with his hearing issues. The club would have known the limitations that would cause before drafting him.

It sounds like he’s just been squeezed out which is unfortunate. Hope he gets picked up or finds a decent role at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back