Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
He can't be feeling too happy about the fact that not just Marsh but Sam Rowe got the nod ahead of him (as tall defenders). Now the SSP opportunity has passed he'll have to wait for the mid-season draft. It's obvious that we weren't the only club that didn't rate him. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the VFL this season, but perhaps that's his level?
Or clubs opted for the security of alternative players with previous senior experience rather than a developmental type.

Scritchyscroony

Where'd me kids go?
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Why did we delist McLarty? I switched off from all thing AFL after last year's grand final so totally missed any discussion around it. I seem to remember a lot of vFL watchers really rating him. What was the issue there with him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unknown Identity

Professional Strawman
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Why did we delist McLarty? I switched off from all thing AFL after last year's grand final so totally missed any discussion around it. I seem to remember a lot of vFL watchers really rating him. What was the issue there with him?
I think his hearing was an issue from memory.

Unknown Identity

Professional Strawman
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I think the problem was that he just wasn't a particularly good player.
Personally i saw enough at VFL level to suggest he could develop into a handy defender.

It's very unusual to delist a 20 year old KPP.
Especially how long we kept Corey Gault on the list and everyone know's they take much longer to develop.

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 21, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally i saw enough at VFL level to suggest he could develop into a handy defender.

Especially how long we kept Corey Gault on the list and everyone know's they take much longer to develop.
Why wasn't he picked up by another club? KPPs don't grow on trees. If he was any good surely an AFL club would have at least rookied him.

Unknown Identity

Professional Strawman
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Why wasn't he picked up by another club? KPPs don't grow on trees. If he was any good surely an AFL club would have at least rookied him.
Sydney almost did take him, were seriously considering him.

Like i said, i believe his hearing was an issue on field, not his actual ability.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood

This is the thing. McLarty progressed well in his first season as a defender. Then the club decided to change his role and make him as a ruck/forward and he struggled badly.

He was unlucky. If they moved him back to defense, he would of been much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

barrackers

Premium Gold
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

The key word there is defender. From a development point of view I get versatility and learning other positions (forward/ruck), but at the same he may have been better off mastering one first.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I only saw him in a few televised VFL games but he did not at any time look AFL capable. His body didn't look hard enough and his ability looked a long way short. It's true that taller players can take a while to develop but if they do develop they show glimpses along the way. Admittedly from a smallish sample size, but I never saw a glimpse. I suspect if any opposition clubs saw glimpses when the played our VFL side he would have been picked up.

Pragmatic Shill

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Big cause of our hefty injury list last year. A lot of our depth players were blowing out their larynx having to yell extra hard at him on the field.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was pretty slow iirc, just didn't have much about him.

whiskeytown

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He also hasn't had a great year at Williamstown in 2019.
8 games, kicking 1 goal.
He has been injured i think, and I think Williamstown have mostly used him in defence... but you're right he hasn't done much. Saw their game vs the bombers on the weekend and Hibberd and Jok looked more AFL quality than Sam.

I'd say his AFL window has closed

Top Bottom