Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

He can't be feeling too happy about the fact that not just Marsh but Sam Rowe got the nod ahead of him (as tall defenders). Now the SSP opportunity has passed he'll have to wait for the mid-season draft. It's obvious that we weren't the only club that didn't rate him. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the VFL this season, but perhaps that's his level?

Or clubs opted for the security of alternative players with previous senior experience rather than a developmental type.

Why did we delist McLarty? I switched off from all thing AFL after last year's grand final so totally missed any discussion around it. I seem to remember a lot of vFL watchers really rating him. What was the issue there with him?

Why did we delist McLarty? I switched off from all thing AFL after last year's grand final so totally missed any discussion around it. I seem to remember a lot of vFL watchers really rating him. What was the issue there with him?

I think his hearing was an issue from memory.

I think the problem was that he just wasn't a particularly good player.

Personally i saw enough at VFL level to suggest he could develop into a handy defender.

It's very unusual to delist a 20 year old KPP.
Especially how long we kept Corey Gault on the list and everyone know's they take much longer to develop.

Personally i saw enough at VFL level to suggest he could develop into a handy defender.

Especially how long we kept Corey Gault on the list and everyone know's they take much longer to develop.
Why wasn't he picked up by another club? KPPs don't grow on trees. If he was any good surely an AFL club would have at least rookied him.

Why wasn't he picked up by another club? KPPs don't grow on trees. If he was any good surely an AFL club would have at least rookied him.

Sydney almost did take him, were seriously considering him.

Like i said, i believe his hearing was an issue on field, not his actual ability.

This is the thing. McLarty progressed well in his first season as a defender. Then the club decided to change his role and make him as a ruck/forward and he struggled badly.

He was unlucky. If they moved him back to defense, he would of been much better.

Sydney almost did take him, were seriously considering him.

Like i said, i believe his hearing was an issue on field, not his actual ability.

Wasn't Another reason he was not Professional Enough in not eating the Right Foods?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if they said to him, eat the right food or we'll delist you.. he would have changed his diet..?

I don't know but that was 1 Reason that People said it be.

The key word there is defender. From a development point of view I get versatility and learning other positions (forward/ruck), but at the same he may have been better off mastering one first.

I only saw him in a few televised VFL games but he did not at any time look AFL capable. His body didn't look hard enough and his ability looked a long way short. It's true that taller players can take a while to develop but if they do develop they show glimpses along the way. Admittedly from a smallish sample size, but I never saw a glimpse. I suspect if any opposition clubs saw glimpses when the played our VFL side he would have been picked up.

Big cause of our hefty injury list last year. A lot of our depth players were blowing out their larynx having to yell extra hard at him on the field.

Was pretty slow iirc, just didn't have much about him.

Is actually pretty quick for his size. Does take some time to wind up. Has the turning circle of the Titanic though which I think is why the club thought he might be better if played forward/ruck.

He also hasn't had a great year at Williamstown in 2019.
8 games, kicking 1 goal.

He has been injured i think, and I think Williamstown have mostly used him in defence... but you're right he hasn't done much. Saw their game vs the bombers on the weekend and Hibberd and Jok looked more AFL quality than Sam.

I'd say his AFL window has closed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back