Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally think he looks much better as a key back. Doesn't impact the scoreboard enough as a ruck/forward.

Yep I agree. I realise that playing forward can help him learn his trade as a defender but enough already. He's got ability as a defender and god knows we need some.

Personally think he looks much better as a key back. Doesn't impact the scoreboard enough as a ruck/forward.

True and same with Murphy looks miles better down back but can look lost up forward

Doubt McLarty debut this season.

Has he been overrated by some of VFL Watchers like me?
There is still heaps of time, but if he doesn’t debut it’s not the end of the world.

Doubt McLarty debut this season.

Has he been overrated by some of VFL Watchers like me?
These things can take time.
Getting up to speed to play seniors is a long road for most.
For us fans, it can’t be a McDonald’s drive through and express playing.

Takes investment and time.
If not, not, will be up to him.
Well really know more by next season.

Development is an odd thing, and I suppose it isn't always obvious and dramatic. He hasn't had as many 'wow' moments this season, but I've got no doubt that the extended run of footy he's had this year will hold him in good stead for the future. He has the talent, and at the very least he's now building the tank which can do justice to that talent.

He's a serious talent. I dont think a full-season of VFL footy & finals will do him any harm.
And he’s a big big lad too.
Monster when you see him close.

(More Milton though :p now carefully, a drop of kindness... oops too much)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe but it will help him build a tank and I think thats been an issue for him.

True and Hopefully that is the Reason and not Future Plans.

Guess he struggle with his Engine be a Descent Reason why not called up to AFL Level Yet

I still don’t understand why the club decided to put him in this role. We have Cox and Moore both capable of playing forward/ruck. He had an entire year last year in defence. If they’d kept him there he might have been in line for a debut this year. Instead they put Moore back, put him in to an unfamiliar role in which he’s had to start developing from scratch again. I wish they’d give him and Moore some continuity in set roles rather than changing them around from year to year...

Maybe but it will help him build a tank and I think thats been an issue for him.

Yeah he definitely huffs and puffs his way around the ground - needs at least one more solid preseason under his belt maybe two) before he'll be able to handle AFL footy.

He's only just turned 20 though so even if we're waiting until his age 22 year before be breaks into the AFL side thats pretty much the norm for young (true) KPP's.

I still don’t understand why the club decided to put him in this role. We have Cox and Moore both capable of playing forward/ruck. He had an entire year last year in defence. If they’d kept him there he might have been in line for a debut this year. Instead they put Moore back, put him in to an unfamiliar role in which he’s had to start developing from scratch again. I wish they’d give him and Moore some continuity in set roles rather than changing them around from year to year...
I agree, but sometimes you have to be dynamic in your changes.

The experience at both ends isn't going to hurt him long-term.

Yeah McLarty's best chance is as a defender I reckon. I do understand the clubs decision to try him as a forward. Theres a role there for someone who's performing. But i'm not sure it's working. How long do you persist?

Doubt he is going to make it but his best chance does seem as a defender. Happy to be wrong on this one but he is miles off it at the moment and needs massive improvement.

I haven't caught much vision of him for a while, is he still a big lump of a lad or are the gym sessions starting to pay off with some broader shoulders and bigger guns?

I'd be happy he rounds the year out learning his craft in the magoos and steels himself for a red hot crack in pre-season

Yeah McLarty's best chance is as a defender I reckon. I do understand the clubs decision to try him as a forward. Theres a role there for someone who's performing. But i'm not sure it's working. How long do you persist?
Murphy has same problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Back