Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah McLarty's best chance is as a defender I reckon. I do understand the clubs decision to try him as a forward. Theres a role there for someone who's performing. But i'm not sure it's working. How long do you persist?

In Corey Gault’s caae, five years.

In Corey Gault’s caae, five years.

Actually I meant how long do you persist with him as a forward/ruck? I don't mind that the club have tried McLarty there and I like that they have persisted with it despite mixed results. They've been patient and given it an opportunity to work while also giving exposure and development in new roles.

We've now got a bit of an idea how McLarty goes as key defender, forward and ruck. He seems best suited to defence. So do we move him back? Do we do that now? Next year? Or at some other time?

P.S. I don't think he's in any danger of getting delisted. He's a tall, he's shown signs and needs to be given time.

You are far better off with a guy who can play one position very well then a bloke who is just average in multiple roles. It’s actually very simple

If you develop his skills more broadly he will end up a better player whatever position he finally plays. I fully understand the limited approach you would like the club to take to player development. It is just wrong.

Last edited:

The club has shown some good form in player development in recent seasons. I'm frustrated at how long its taking with McLarty, but I trust the club on this.

Some players, like Stephenson, make the task easy, but the time taken with Maynard and Scharenberg (even allowing for injury) has paid off; Cox too. Daicos, Brown and now Sier, are in the next group and all of them need more work and game time, before we (hopefully) recoup the investment.

If you develop his skills more broadly he will end up a better player wherever position he finally player. I fully understand the limited approach you would like the club to take to player development. It is just wrong.
This isn’t junior football anymore. It’s time to settle him down playing as the first or second ruck will not make him a better defender at all

The club has shown some good form in player development in recent seasons. I'm frustrated at how long its taking with McLarty, but I trust the club on this..

I'm sure some were frustrated with Dawes Reid and Brown in their second seasons too. Agree, way too early to be making wild claims about him.

This isn’t junior football anymore. It’s time to settle him down playing as the first or second ruck will not make him a better defender at all

Well there you go. So ruck work isn't about body positioning and building a tank to cover the ground? Thought they'd both be pretty handy for a defender to develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he is being reassured that he is valued behind the scenes cos if he can’t get a game with Reid, Sack, Dunn, Schaz and Howe out... then when can he?

He was the best performed KPF depth at VFL level early in the season. Was just unlucky he was injured when Reid went down, Mihocek subsequently getting the opportunity ahead of him. Mihocek hasn't put a foot wrong and there hasn't really been another opening for a KPF.

I must admit I’m not an avid VFL watcher still playing local footy makes it hard and if I did it’s a lot of footy in a weekend. However is it cause for concern that a Cat B rookie in Madgen would get a chance before McLarty who is coming close to two years on the list? Or would be underselling Madgen. From the outside the draft of McLarty seems quite underwhelming.

We have been often short of key defenders yet he hasn’t been close by the looks of it.

I must admit I’m not an avid VFL watcher still playing local footy makes it hard and if I did it’s a lot of footy in a weekend. However is it cause for concern that a Cat B rookie in Madgen would get a chance before McClarty who is coming close to two years on the list? Or would be underselling Madgen. From the outside the draw of McClarty seems quite underwhelming.

We have been often short of key defenders yet he hasn’t been close by the looks of it.

Was my 1st Thought but others said it's not

I must admit I’m not an avid VFL watcher still playing local footy makes it hard and if I did it’s a lot of footy in a weekend. However is it cause for concern that a Cat B rookie in Madgen would get a chance before McLarty who is coming close to two years on the list? Or would be underselling Madgen. From the outside the draft of McLarty seems quite underwhelming.

Was my 1st Thought but others said it's not

patience_grasshopper.jpg

Madge got a run in the AFLX preseason so he's obviously had an impact with the coaches since his arrival. He's 25 so a more mature body, and he's been playing in defence all season whereas McLarty has been playing forward. I don't see the issue given the club has been pretty consistent on like-4-like changes.

Why would it be concerning that a guy who’s played key defence all year is getting a game ahead of a guy who’s played key forward/ruck all year, when we need a defender?

Sams time will come.

He’s a good egg.

Just has to keep at it and play we’ll. Give him one thing, he’s a big unit.

It's only because McLarty has been playing forward and ruck. If it were Cox or Mihocek that needed replacing i'm confident McLarty would have gotten the nod. We've been pretty consistent going like for like; with the exception of Mihocek who came in after playing defence in the VFL (McLarty was injured then and we had no other options).

It's only because McLarty has been playing forward and ruck. If it were Cox or Mihocek that needed replacing i'm confident McLarty would have gotten the nod. We've been pretty consistent going like for like; with the exception of Mihocek who came in after playing defence in the VFL (McLarty was injured then and we had no other options).
Even then though, Mihocek had played a few weeks forward in the VFL prior to selection.

Even then though, Mihocek had played a few weeks forward in the VFL prior to selection.

I didn't realise that so there ya go! The other exception was Moore when he went forward. And he was ordinary. So the only time we really did it was a failure. I like we're being consistent in our selections. That's an improvement from last year and it's helped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back