Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was actually talking about other clubs. That it would be nice if a club can look at picking him up.
Be nice any club.
Looking more like they’re passing on him.

Don't count him out.

He could do a what Sam Collins did in the VFL last season
Absolutely. And Sam collins is playing very well from the JLT games I have watched of the suns so far.

I don't see why if he does well in the VFL until mid-season that some club could be interested.

So has the March rookie free agency period now finished? Are the swans the only team who picked up a player?
Ends on friday. But by the article on AFL site, Suns are in the process of replacing Rory Thompson who did an ACL last week, so that could be the last if they manage to get that through, otherwise they'll wait til the mid-season draft

Ends on friday. But by the article on AFL site, Suns are in the process of replacing Rory Thompson who did an ACL last week, so that could be the last if they manage to get that through, otherwise they'll wait til the mid-season draft

So the Murray Decision be too late then

I doubt that a Murray decision will ever occur. I think he will be on our rookie list forever. I see no end in sight to this B sample saga.
That’s because the Murray never runs dry.

(I’ll just see myself out.)

Ceglar left st a time we needed a solid battler in the 2nd ruck/tall forward position that wasn’t filled until Moore and Cox came along.

Ceglar left at a time when we had Jolly, Wood and Witts on the list (as ruckmen) as well as Paine, Gault and Keeffe (as KPF's). We also added Hudson and Grundy that year. Clearly we were more optimistic that what we still had were ahead of where we rated Ceglar. Or Shae Mc who was let go at the same time. Wood also left during that clean out.

Personally, I liked Ceglar. Looked more a natural footballer than some of the blokes he was competing with for a spot. Word was though that he was a real arse which is probably borne out by the fact we couldn't find a new home for him during the trade period, Hawks waiting till the rookie draft to throw him a lifeline.

On the positive side, I never ever want to see a VFL side that has all of Wood, Witts, Pain, Ceglar, McNamara, and Gault (or any similar group) playing F50 and doing the ruckwork between them. We even tried Gault at CHB to try and improve the F50 balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ceglar left at a time when we had Jolly, Wood and Witts on the list (as ruckmen) as well as Paine, Gault and Keeffe (as KPF's). We also added Hudson and Grundy that year. Clearly we were more optimistic that what we still had were ahead of where we rated Ceglar. Or Shae Mc who was let go at the same time. Wood also left during that clean out.

Personally, I liked Ceglar. Looked more a natural footballer than some of the blokes he was competing with for a spot. Word was though that he was a real arse which is probably borne out by the fact we couldn't find a new home for him during the trade period, Hawks waiting till the rookie draft to throw him a lifeline.

On the positive side, I never ever want to see a VFL side that has all of Wood, Witts, Pain, Ceglar, McNamara, and Gault (or any similar group) playing F50 and doing the ruckwork between them. We even tried Gault at CHB to try and improve the F50 balance.
None of those names could play as second ruckman or good enough for the grade. Ceglar showed he could play that role at the Hawks. It’s a non issue but at the time left a hole on our list.

I'm just catching up on the Suns being on the hunt for another top up, is Sam in the mix?
This article suggests they are more likely to grab a midfielder, so perhaps not:

GOLD Coast is eyeing former NAB AFL Academy member Sam Fletcher as it looks to bolster its midfield stocks just two days before Friday's selection deadline.

Following the club's latest injury setback, an ACL rupture sustained by key defender Rory Thompson, AFL.com.au understands the Suns have sounded out the 19-year-old onballer.

Already holding a list spot following last year's rookie draft, added with the season-ending knee injury to Harrison Wigg, the Suns now have three available positions.

However, while new pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) rules permit the Suns to fill all three, they're expected to take the remaining two positions into the mid-season draft.

The decision from the Suns to top up their midfield comes amid a flurry of late action before the period's closure on March 15.

None of those names could play as second ruckman or good enough for the grade. Ceglar showed he could play that role at the Hawks. It’s a non issue but at the time left a hole on our list.

Yet he didn't show enough at Collingwood to get a senior opportunity unless I'm mistaken. Maybe it was getting delisted that was the making of him.

Yet he didn't show enough at Collingwood to get a senior opportunity unless I'm mistaken. Maybe it was getting delisted that was the making of him.

Reminds me of the time our delisting of Cameron Wood ended up being the making of him at Carlton :D

Yep. He was a better player than many of those talls we keps, but if the delisting of Ceglar is the worst delisting call we can come up with, we haven't got too many of these calls wrong.

I hope the Doggies look at him considering Morris’s bad news today.

I hope the Doggies look at him considering Morris’s bad news today.
He can't be feeling too happy about the fact that not just Marsh but Sam Rowe got the nod ahead of him (as tall defenders). Now the SSP opportunity has passed he'll have to wait for the mid-season draft. It's obvious that we weren't the only club that didn't rate him. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the VFL this season, but perhaps that's his level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back