Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
This decision is still a real head scratcher for me by the Club.

The rationale that we got rid of him because we got Roughead also is weird logic IMO.
I'm more in the camp Roughead is only there as cheap depth.

McLarty might be more of, they just don't think he'll make it anymore than a few games here and there.
I'm sad about it because he comes across as such a good guy I'd like him to succeed on that basis.

But that sentiment probably doesn't make him a better player; likely they see him as a plodder. Shame really.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm more in the camp Roughead is only there as cheap depth.

McLarty might be more of, they just don't think he'll make it anymore than a few games here and there.
I'm sad about it because he comes across as such a good guy I'd like him to succeed on that basis.

But that sentiment probably doesn't make him a better player; likely they see him as a plodder. Shame really.

He is better depth than Roughead IMO...….they obviously didn't rate him internally.

C'est la vie

At least he is enjoying himself on his holiday.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

The rationale that we got rid of him because we got Roughead also is weird logic IMO.
I think he was the last player to have the decision made that he would be cut. We needed to make use of an extra pick because we're desperate for points so therefore one senior position had to be freed up to make another pick live.

It's just a shame that the B sample for Murray couldn't come in sooner before the list lodgement date so could have terminated his employment straight away as a breach of contract.

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is better depth than Roughead IMO...….they obviously didn't rate him internally.

C'est la vie

Not sure how a guy who's never played a game is better depth then a guy who has played in a premiership and played a pivotal roll at that, I like McClarty but to say hes better depth without ever playing a game is nonsense.

I think he was the last player to have the decision made that he would be cut. We needed to make use of an extra pick because we're desperate for points so therefore one senior position had to be freed up to make another pick live.

It's just a shame that the B sample for Murray couldn't come in sooner before the list lodgement date so could have terminated his employment straight away as a breach of contract.
Those results are sure taking its time. I wonder when we'll find out?

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure how a guy who's never played a game is better depth then a guy who has played in a premiership and played a pivotal roll at that, I like McClarty but to say hes better depth without ever playing a game is nonsense.

Roughead playing a pivotal role in a Premiership two years ago isn't relevant to the McClarty discussion.

How many games did Roughead play in 2018 as a 28 year old??

My opinion on McClarty being better depth than Jordan still stands.......…..nonsense or not.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I had to take only one, I'd take Sam.
But it's clouded by his age, and being a good guy, so maybe has upside.
Of course tempered by Roughead being a terrific individual as well.
But to me he's just depth.

Ultimately for you and me to say McLarty is better depth than Roughead flys in the face of the clubs internal decision making.... so on that, I shrug my shoulders and accept it.
As you noted, a head scratcher.
Pity though.

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roughead playing a pivotal role in a Premiership two years ago isn't relevant to the McClarty discussion.

How many games did Roughead play in 2018 as a 28 year old??

My opinion on McClarty being better depth than Jordan still stands.......…..nonsense or not.
I think McClarty had plenty of chances this year to get a game it's not like we had heaps of defenders, but I suppose it is just personal opinion on the matter I'm sure if roughead played a role in a premiership neither of us would care.

The club obviously doesn't think he's going to make it. There's no way that we delisted McLarty because we got Roughhead. It's the other way around - we got Roughhead because we were going to delist McLarty.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I'd have kept Sam over Roughead any day. I doubt the difference in output would be that much and Sam was still developing. That decision is a real head scratcher for me and I can't say I support the list management team on that one.

Historically our guys don't get these decisions wrong too often. In fact in the past we have probably held on to guys too long. Gault is a case in point.
The club has had 2 years to watch him train, play & develop & have delisted him. Good luck to him, but we move on.

C'est la vie

Maybe. Roughead has shown his best is Easily Good Enough for AFL Footy.

While I am a McLarty Fan he has done nothing yet at AFL Level

I'd have kept Sam over Roughead any day. I doubt the difference in output would be that much and Sam was still developing. That decision is a real head scratcher for me and I can't say I support the list management team on that one.

He had to piss someone off.

I would kept Sam with Roughead coming in

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe. Roughead has shown his best is Easily Good Enough for AFL Footy.

While I am a McLarty Fan he has done nothing yet at AFL Level

You have to be given an opportunity first Dave to show something at AFL level.

Good luck to him.......decisions been made now.

You have to be given an opportunity first Dave to show something at AFL level.

Good luck to him.......decisions been made now.
^This is my main beef. Delisting a player without even testing them at the top level. I know the club would have their reasons, but it still does my head in.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
^This is my main beef. Delisting a player without even testing them at the top level. I know the club would have their reasons, but it still does my head in.

Just read an article in the HS and I think it is because of Kelly not Roughead as some have suggested.

My main beef is we carried people like Oxley etc for so much longer and Sam was made to play in a role this year he wasn’t familiar with.

I hope he gets another opportunity and has a good career.......I think he deserves it.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Maybe McClarty has hearing issues that will effect him at AFL level?

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Just read an article in the HS and I think it is because of Kelly not Roughead as some have suggested.

My main beef is we carried people like Oxley etc for so much longer and Sam was made to play in a role this year he wasn’t familiar with.

I hope he gets another opportunity and has a good career.......I think he deserves it.
To me McLarty suffered from really bad timing. For a lot of the time Oxley was with us our depth just wasn’t that strong. So he survived because there were weaker candidates around him to be delisted first. However in the time since McLarty was drafted our depth has improved out of sight and there just wasn’t the candidates this year to delist like there was in previous years. If we wanted to go into the draft with 5 senior list spots (which I think we did to ensure we can take Kelly & Quaynor) then we had to find the candidates from our list to cut given the promise that has been shown by a lot of the list there was going to be at least one unlucky player which turned out to be McLarty.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Let's be serious, Roughead is better than McLarty and proven AFL quality.
I'd have done this move in a heartbeat.
I think Roughead is more immedietely ready and will provide good coverage next year as opposed to McLarty who is still a work in progress. It really comes down to where you view our list. If our window is open and we feel we are contending next year then Roughead is the obvious choice, if we are in development then McLarty is a better option.

Back