Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Roughead is more immedietely ready and will provide good coverage next year as opposed to McLarty who is still a work in progress. It really comes down to where you view our list. If our window is open and we feel we are contending next year then Roughead is the obvious choice, if we are in development then McLarty is a better option.

Development can change quickly and ultimately- how long is a piece of string? It can turn very quickly as we have seen.
Roughead is 27.
In 3yrs time he could still be ahead of McLarty who may never kick on as opposed to you know what you're getting with Roughead.

To me McLarty suffered from really bad timing. For a lot of the time Oxley was with us our depth just wasn’t that strong. So he survived because there were weaker candidates around him to be delisted first. However in the time since McLarty was drafted our depth has improved out of sight and there just wasn’t the candidates this year to delist like there was in previous years. If we wanted to go into the draft with 5 senior list spots (which I think we did to ensure we can take Kelly & Quaynor) then we had to find the candidates from our list to cut given the promise that has been shown by a lot of the list there was going to be at least one unlucky player which turned out to be McLarty.

We are desperately lacking in genuine key position players and back up rucks.

McLarty's delisting has got absolutely nothing to do with timing. The club simply made the early call that they didnt see sufficient upside in him and replaced him with the more ready-made Roughead. Its a very tough call but sometimes tough calls have to be made.

To me McLarty suffered from really bad timing. For a lot of the time Oxley was with us our depth just wasn’t that strong. So he survived because there were weaker candidates around him to be delisted first. However in the time since McLarty was drafted our depth has improved out of sight and there just wasn’t the candidates this year to delist like there was in previous years. If we wanted to go into the draft with 5 senior list spots (which I think we did to ensure we can take Kelly & Quaynor) then we had to find the candidates from our list to cut given the promise that has been shown by a lot of the list there was going to be at least one unlucky player which turned out to be McLarty.

In terms of “unlucky player” the one that sniffed away his career should have been the “unlucky” one as I have said ad nauseam so it’s time I moved on from this McClarty discussion.

Oxley survived as long as he did due to his contract. He showed some promising early signs and got a ridiculously long deal which we honoured. I doubt he'd have been on our list this year if he didn't still have that year to run.

Oxley survived as long as he did due to his contract. He showed some promising early signs and got a ridiculously long deal which we honoured. I doubt he'd have been on our list this year if he didn't still have that year to run.
Just to add, we seem to have learnt our lesson from guys like Oxley and moved to shorter contracts for guys like him. The other thing to add is that Oxley actually played a couple of really good senior AFL games, which by the sound of VFL reports were more influential than anything that McLarty has produced at a lower level.

Seems such a great guy.

Real pity.

I’d love us to rookie him but that’s very doubtful.

Really wish him well.

We would of already said IF we where going to Rookie Him

We would of already said IF we where going to Rookie Him
That’s correct; so only way we’d grab him again is we get to very last pick of rookies etc and think he’s better than what’s out there.

But looks not even likely at all.

That’s correct; so only way we’d grab him again is we get to very last pick of rookies etc and think he’s better than what’s out there.

But looks not even likely at all.

We said Nothing so not Expecting us too

Just to add, we seem to have learnt our lesson from guys like Oxley and moved to shorter contracts for guys like him. The other thing to add is that Oxley actually played a couple of really good senior AFL games, which by the sound of VFL reports were more influential than anything that McLarty has produced at a lower level.
it's a cut throat business AFL and despite his delisting I hope McLarty can make a go of his career elsewhere but to be honest I'm pretty comfortable with the decision the club have made here.

it's a cut throat business AFL and despite his delisting I hope McLarty can make a go of his career elsewhere but to be honest I'm pretty comfortable with the decision the club have made here.

Seems to be 2 Parties with McLarty. 1 Think he was no where near good enough and 2nd is that he had Upside and Deserved at least another year on the List

Seems to be 2 Parties with McLarty. 1 Think he was no where near good enough and 2nd is that he had Upside and Deserved at least another year on the List
Or even the third group; accepting he’s not going to be with us but sad because he was so well liked as a real good guy.

Tough business football.

Or even the third group; accepting he’s not going to be with us but sad because he was so well liked as a real good guy.

Tough business football.

Yep that's me. He came across as one of the most likeable young men I've seen in footy for a long time. I just wish him well in whatever he does and hope he looks back on his time at Collingwood with fondness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep that's me. He came across as one of the most likeable young men I've seen in footy for a long time. I just wish him well in whatever he does and hope he looks back on his time at Collingwood with fondness.
So well said.

I’m in in that group.

Tough business football.
I'm in group 4. No idea about McLarty, but happy to back the club's call.

He can take a grab. Took a nice pack mark in the VFL. He should make a good third forward for another team.
I’m sure there will be plenty of sides interested. Doubt they will be AFL teams though.

I am disappointed for McLarty and would genuinely loved to have seen him break through and get a few games and a chance to show us what he is made of. However, in the end I was just not surprised when they cut him. He seemed more promising as a defender than a roaming ruck/forward and I got the impression he was a little lost in that role more often than not. Perhaps he was deemed not mobile or quick enough for a key defensive post in the modern game but, when first year players and rookies started getting their shot before him in our decimated back line of 2018, the writing really was on the wall in my opinion.

We obviously see ourselves at the pointy end of the window now and cap space is also obviously very tight; we are on the tail end of a couple of bigger long term contracts that we are stuck with and we've made some tough calls on our list, but that's the business.

The biggest thing I liked about is he seemed to have strong sticky hands. Thought he could have been become a Brian Lake type. But it wasn’t to be I guess.

The biggest thing I liked about is he seemed to have strong sticky hands. Thought he could have been become a Brian Lake type. But it wasn’t to be I guess.

That and his aggression. Always happy to throw his weight around and put his body on the line.

Seems he was just a notch or two below the required level.

If they kept him, yes he might have played a handful of games, but it appears that’s about it.

Really good kid too. If he gets on a rookie list I’d be happy for him.

I’m guessing he’s not getting back but I really wish him well.

This decision is still a real head scratcher for me by the Club.

The rationale that we got rid of him because we got Roughead also is weird logic IMO.
Suspect rough heads more versitile
Boyd rates him

Can play ruck and back
More to the point Can play masons role in 2s which will assist our game style with continuity

Need to improve our high ball entries and our flow

Practice will assist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back