News Sam Menegola and Tom Atkins. Cats until the end of 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news - especially for Atkins.

And whilst good for them probably good for the club too - best 22 signings that most likely are not TPP busters

Go Catters

Good news - especially for Atkins.

And whilst good for them probably good for the club too - best 22 signings that most likely are not TPP busters

Go Catters

two minds thinking alike...

It would be ideal if Atkins can continue to develop as a mid not just a pressure point..

So much for Gola walking as a FA then. This saves us a fair few headaches in a year's time

It's only a 1 yr extension. Doesn't show much faith in menegola.
Looking at the Gary Rohan I could've sworn a one year extension was an eternity...

Anyway he's a fringe player so no need to lock him down very long term, but avoiding the possibility of losing him for nothing next year is good since we'll have a high list turnover already and our young mids probably still need another couple of seasons

Or maybe he only wanted a 1-year extension

He may be looking at the make-up of our list, seen we have a few younger midfielders coming through and decided that the best option was job security for now but with flexibility going forward that he can either sign a further extension or utilise his FA rights

Ideal contract length for both. Both deserve it but any more is too long given they live in the 15-25 mid tier section of the list.

Glad Sammy esp got it done early to save both the speculation and any desperate bidding wars late next year.

link

GO Catters

Would have been easy for SM to hand out and see what FA offered him so well done to him and the club. Atkins will get better imo.. and deserves another contract... id doubt either are budget busters..

Good on Menegola for him turning his back on FA that surprised me...very underrated player and had been good for us..should play 100 games for us now which is a good result for a late pick.

Atkins at worst is quality depth and should get elevated to the senior list in 12 months time now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its probably what he wanted so he retains FA options in 2022. Good result for us.

Good on Menegola for him turning his back on FA that surprised me...very underrated player and had been good for us..should play 100 games for us now which is a good result for a late pick.

Atkins at worst is quality depth and should get elevated to the senior list in 12 months time now.
I see more positives in Atkins actually.

The downside of this is limited to my mind. Both have shown they can be competitive at afl level... and I do feel Atkins has upside. Menegola to my mind is limited and ideally younger players push past him. Its up to him really. He has added an extra year ..at what cost to our cap would be interesting.. I wonder if we added a tad of sugar to get him on for just one year ? Then we will reaccess than and perhaps best for all if he looks at his FA options.. 100 games ..amazing for swells and SM who was probably looking at his post footy career not so long ago.

I have not seen it mentioned specifcally but is Atkins now off the rookie list per se? His orignal deal was a 2 year rookie spot so this, taking him past the mandatory 3 year maximum on the rookie list, must elevate him. I guess 2020 is the third year on the list so technically he can be rookie till end of 2020 and then upgraded for 2021.

Any other thougths?

GO Catters

I have not seen it mentioned specifcally but is Atkins now off the rookie list per se? His orignal deal was a 2 year rookie spot so this, taking him past the mandatory 3 year maximum on the rookie list, must elevate him. I guess 2020 is the third year on the list so technically he can be rookie till end of 2020 and then upgraded for 2021.

Any other thougths?

GO Catters
Isn't 2020 the 2nd year for Atkins and 2021 the 3rd?

Which would mean he would be able to stay on as a rookie for 2 more years which will then see him out of contract

Isn't 2020 the 2nd year for Atkins and 2021 the 3rd?

Which would mean he would be able to stay on as a rookie for 2 more years which will then see him out of contract
correct you are... so yes, 2020 is second year as rookie and the new deal sees him a rookie until end of 2021.

He can be offfered, as I understand it, a main list deal by another club and he can accept that should he chose to leave.
My guess however is that he stays rookie until end of 2020 and is upgraded with 2021 main list when GAJ an HT and no doubt others move on.
I suggest much like Brownless and Hendo its a list managment move as much as guided by anything else.
GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back