Recommitted Sam Menegola [re-signed until 2023]

contracted so it would not be a throw away ...it would be a pre-agent move...what would he be worth a FA next year?

Worth way more this year due to his age. I'd use a pick around 20-23 for him, even if only to have him for a couple of years. Love his workrate and attacking ability.

Obviously if he had a career worth of established form, even at 28, he'd get a first rounder.

Not sure how many fellow Blues fans would agree with me, but we need someone in that first receiver position who can go inside and outside when needed, and works hard between the arcs. We have Walsh but Menegola is physically developed.

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
Where did this come from? He's such a versatile and important player for us and I would think we'd be looking at extending his contract after free agency has finished and there is clarity about how best to structure it. Is this just journo's seeing a winger come in and thinking one of Duncan/Menegola will lose out? Crazy! Both Duncan and Menegola have the ability to play all over the ground.
It came from the fact that Isaac Smith has gone there and the premise that you are paying Cameron $950k per year for the next 5 years, so something has to give. Getting rid of young kids on low salaries isn't going to do that.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure how many fellow Blues fans would agree with me, but we need someone in that first receiver position who can go inside and outside when needed, and works hard between the arcs. We have Walsh but Menegola is physically developed.
You've obviously never watched him play. Menegola would be lucky to attend one centre bounce per game if that. He's purely a hard running wingman who'll be your 7th man in defence and have a shot on goal in the same passage of play.

Where did this come from? He's such a versatile and important player for us and I would think we'd be looking at extending his contract after free agency has finished and there is clarity about how best to structure it. Is this just journo's seeing a winger come in and thinking one of Duncan/Menegola will lose out? Crazy! Both Duncan and Menegola have the ability to play all over the ground.

I think its just speculation.
Theycant work out smith is to replace blicavs on the wing moving to defence and they rhink he will push menegola out.

It came from the fact that Isaac Smith has gone there and the premise that you are paying Cameron $950k per year for the next 5 years, so something has to give. Getting rid of young kids on low salaries isn't going to do that.

Doesnt mean menegola wants to go or needs to go though.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

A million plus just retired. Smith on 250k+. Higgins on 250k+. Hawkins dropped 300k from contract for next year. Selwoods last two years has also dropped from next year although I don’t know how much. There’s not the salary cap issue you speak of. Not to say he won’t go for big bucks but just that you don’t seem informed on Geelong’s cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
A million plus just retired. Smith on 250k+. Higgins on 250k+. Hawkins dropped 300k from contract for next year. Selwoods last two years has also dropped from next year although I don’t know how much. There’s not the salary cap issue you speak of. Not to say he won’t go for big bucks but just that you don’t seem informed on Geelong’s cap.

I think the only people informed of everyone's salary cap is the AFL and the internal workings of the individual club. Everything said by anyone on Bigfooty is just guesswork and/or wishful thinking.

You've obviously never watched him play. Menegola would be lucky to attend one centre bounce per game if that. He's purely a hard running wingman who'll be your 7th man in defence and have a shot on goal in the same passage of play.

Purely commenting on his size and the fact that he does seem to spend a lot of time running through the corridor to attack or defend. He's not a shrinking violet and will get in the trenches and take body contact and dish it out, from my observations. We don't need him at the stoppages but definitely need him getting his body in the way.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Well he had the fourth most clearances for your mob for the year and fifth most centre clearances...he can obviously hold his own at a stoppage when called upon.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

You must be joking !!

Smith chased by Melbourne on 3 year deal and Hawks wanting to keep him. He would have been on atleast $500k and probably a better offer from Melbourne and he is going to play for Cats for 250k ! yeah right

Higgins similar would be on the $500k range with a year to go on his north contract & Hawkins after Coleman year is not dropping $300k

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
His agent wants a 4 year deal fair enough but he wont get that from the cats best Cats will offer would be a 2 year deal if he wants a significant pay rise

FairKouta

Premiership Player
Aug 3, 2016
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Carlton
Doubt geelong entertain the idea in the midst of a flag push. Can kick goals great player but what would the value be ?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
He'll get a contract increase in his next contract, if he performs as well as he did this year. Going to have a few more retirements end of 2022, so there'll be plenty of cash for him if he puts in seasons like this one again. Locked in the wing role, and now we'll have Smith on the other (which will push Blics back).

Loves Geelong, has a family, and I don't see him going back to the club that originally delisted him in Fremantle, as some WA papers have suggested, lol. Could happen, but more likely he gets a big pay increase when Selwood retires end of '22 (first year will be the same but will then go up substantially once Sel is gone)
Isn't Guthrie the player that will be pushed from the wing?

Back