Recommitted Sam Menegola [re-signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't Guthrie the player that will be pushed from the wing?
Duncan and Blicavs were the other wingers this year, Blicavs will go down back and Duncan into the guts. Menegola will continue on the wing

Why bother. Keep this year when we are contending and if he leaves next year this magical compo system will more than look after us.

Pick around 20. Unless somebody severely trumps that I’m not sure this is even a thread. I mean the only “pre agent” you’d trade are the ones that you could have gotten 2 first Rd picks for. It’s not the NBA with the Mickey Mouse system we have.

Did people valuing him as a 2nd rounder actually watch football this year? Theres no way we would do that in normal circumstances let alone in a compromised draft.

Last edited:
Did people valuing him as a 2nd rounder actually watch football this year? Theres no way we would do that in normal circumstances let alone in a compromised draft.
Like any decision needs to be based on what’s good for Sam and the club

Would happily give my first rounders for Menegola. One of the only Geelong players not to sh*t the bed in the second half against Richmond.

Hed need to be taught how to play team first footy though and that would take a year.

He had 6 disposals in the second half (his lowest for the year), 0 tackles, 0 clearances and 0 metres gained.

One of many that didn’t stand up in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it was an easy Mark and after the goal the ball was run back 90m so it was negative metres gained. Bloke just trolls away day after day on other teams Trade threads.
* I forgot about how incredible that Mark was too.

Appreciate your sarcasm too haha

But legit, if Richmond & Hawthorn of past eras has taught us footy fans anything, its not the possessions that count, its those moments like Menegola's mark and goal that are worth 10+ disposals but don't show up on the stat sheet.

When down like 30 with 5 mins left? Meant nothing the game was already done.

6 and a half minutes left and down by 22, actually. That kick brought it back to 16 and gave us a sniff. Was all over after the Tiges went down the other end and put it to bed though.

That Menegola goal was pure clutch, and the mark going back with the flight was even better. Don't undersell it

6 and a half minutes left and down by 22, actually. That kick brought it back to 16 and gave us a sniff. Was all over after the Tiges went down the other end and put it to bed though.

That Menegola goal was pure clutch, and the mark going back with the flight was even better. Don't undersell it
You were ABSOLUTELY in the game after that goal. Dont even feel the need to justify it.

This one reeks of a manager making sure his client gets paid after a strong year.

Nothing to see here except re-signing on bigger dollars

Agreed..and geelong are in a flag window and he is crucial..a club would literally have to offer a top 5 pick to move him now and no club will do that. We would rather risk himleaving next year if it helps our 2021 chances.

For the record its his last big deal i just think young is leaking to the media to get more $ which i think he will get next year with us and will stay.

You must be joking !!

Smith chased by Melbourne on 3 year deal and Hawks wanting to keep him. He would have been on atleast $500k and probably a better offer from Melbourne and he is going to play for Cats for 250k ! yeah right

Higgins similar would be on the $500k range with a year to go on his north contract & Hawkins after Coleman year is not dropping $300k

If Higgins comes the rumour is he comes with North paying half of his contract 2021. He’s still a contracted player.

Smith is the odd one. Melb offering three years and 500k but he’s taking two years and less money. I don’t get it either. Something is a bit weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed..and geelong are in a flag window and he is crucial..a club would literally have to offer a top 5 pick to move him now and no club will do that. We would rather risk himleaving next year if it helps our 2021 chances.

For the record its his last big deal i just think young is leaking to the media to get more $ which i think he will get next year with us and will stay.

Agree with this. Freo totally dropped the ball with Menagola and well done to Geelong for getting the best out of the lad.

For some years Geelong has consistently gone against the grain and added older players and stayed relevant without getting the ultimate prize. I wonder if this year is the straw that breaks the camels back as we just saw with Hawthorn. Credit to Scott for developing a fantastic game plan but I think the list model is now at a tipping point. Something tells me 2021 is all or nothing.

Menegola has literally been underutilised for years until 2020.

I wanted Pies to nab him like last year when he wasn't even getting a game at Geelong.

Now it's a bit too late, approaching 29, and any multi-year offer on 500k+ (which he will easily be commanding) has really bad value since his prime is already reaching an end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back