Retired Sam Menegola [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Has had a few solid outings in the VFL after missing the first half of the season with injury. But is probably now behind the younger brigade (Atkins, Holmes, Bruhn) as a starting midfielder in the Cats best 22.

If he wanted to go for guaranteed game time, we probably wouldn't stand in his way.

A team like North, who are crying out for experienced heads from successful cultures, would be one obvious candidate. But anyone who wants an experienced mid for a few years, that they could get fairly cheaply, might be interested.

His wages would be way too big for anyone else to take on. Will stick it out with Geelong 100%
How about you give us pick 1 and we'll pay his wage.

His wages would be way too big for anyone else to take on. Will stick it out with Geelong 100%
As far as I understand, he's out of contract. I imagine that if he stays, we'd be basically paying him minimum chips if we don't see him as much more than a "26th man" type VFL backup.

So in terms of salary and promises of game time, probably wouldn't take much to prise him out.

Have Geelong ever salary dumped a player though? Good point in that you could trade him to North for a pick . Pick 30 odd + Menegola for Pick 80 could work
Forget that he's ooc. He'll either leave as a FA or stay on bugger all.

Been good in his career but might just call time.
In saying that a club like North might benefit from what he’s learnt playing for such an elite side for his career and take on a playing mentoring role with them.

Been good in his career but might just call time.
In saying that a club like North might benefit from what he’s learnt playing for such an elite side for his career and take on a playing mentoring role with them.
I think he has a year or two left in the tank but not sure he has takers.

I think the club wants to bring in Knevitt and Dempsey through the wing so there's not heaps of opportunity at the cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Menegola wants to stay I would give him a 1 year deal. Yeah he is rusty at the moment in the VFL but he hasn't played for the best part of two years. I think he could get a bounce from a full pre season. He would have been very handy early in the year when we had a lot of midfield injuries. If he is happy to be a fringe player between VFL/AFL I would prefer to keep him than take some kid at pick 100, we traded all our later picks out for Henry last year.

If a player is free and best 22 you take them. The developing teams would love him due to professionalism as well.

Has had a few solid outings in the VFL after missing the first half of the season with injury. But is probably now behind the younger brigade (Atkins, Holmes, Bruhn) as a starting midfielder in the Cats best 22.

If he wanted to go for guaranteed game time, we probably wouldn't stand in his way.

A team like North, who are crying out for experienced heads from successful cultures, would be one obvious candidate. But anyone who wants an experienced mid for a few years, that they could get fairly cheaply, might be interested.
I think if it was to be North, there would need to be some shenanigans where Geelong "forces" a trade, and we offer a fourth rounder or something, so the Mckay compo doesn't get diluted.

You got Clark for Varcoe so I don’t think that counts.

It was a 3way trade in which we were dumping a large salary to prepare for Dangerfield and friends 12 months later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back