Retired Sam Menegola [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

His wages would be way too big for anyone else to take on. Will stick it out with Geelong 100%

He wouldnt be on big wages now and will be on less next year.

A rebuilding club will take him for 1-2 years i cant see him staying with us.

Menegola to wear Hoops for Final Time​

Sam Menegola will play his final game for the Cats on Saturday night

You don’t have to be dead to be stiff, and Sam is particularly stiff.

Great clubman there through out the journey to success. Lots of great games, brilliant in 2020 - including a good finals series.

But the body just couldn’t hang on long enough for when we did het that success. Feel for him. A bit Riccardi like in how its ended

You don’t have to be dead to be stiff, and Sam is particularly stiff.

Great clubman there through out the journey to success. Lots of great games, brilliant in 2020 - including a good finals series.

But the body just couldn’t hang on long enough for when we did het that success. Feel for him. A bit Riccardi like in how its ended

So stiff. Deserved AA in 2020 and a flag last year.

Hope he finds another club but i dont think his body can last anymore.

Still has a lot to offer even if he’s regularly injured. Would be great depth for a contender I think.

I agree. Body cant play every week any more but he would offer 12 or so games of quality. If im a top 8 team im looking at him on a cheap deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disposal was a bit rusty tonight but got plenty of it and did some hard heavy work.

Still has value as a pure inside mid IMHO
It's a bit of a funny one, if he'd had that performance in someone else's jumper this weekend, we'd probably have given him a look this offseason.

I wonder if we're going to go down the same path with Parfitt... the "Someone else! Someone else! Someone else!" "I'm someone else!" philosophy of teams and list management at this stage of the season is always a bit bemusing to me. If not for injury, Menegola would have been one of our first picked for a significant chunk of the middle third of the season to shore up our decimated midfield.

An interesting side note when considering the losing 2008 and 2020 grand finals: part of the reason that 2008 doesn't hurt that much is that every player in that losing side went on to play in a Geelong premiership. In 2020, every player in that side was either a 2022 premiership player or had already played in a premiership side (Ablett, Taylor, Dahlhaus), besides Simpson, Henderson and Menegola. Considering the level he was playing at in 2020 and that he probably would have at least been the sub in 2022 if it hadn't been for an injury-wrecked season, he's been pretty unlucky.

Looks like he still has another year of good footy left.
His disposal use has always been suspect. He has never been a composed user under pressure but that's not his game.
Get him on the wing and will accumulate tremendous metres gained.
What currently tanking club in desperate need of outside run is begging for priority picks but would never pick up a player like Menegola?

What currently tanking club in desperate need of outside run is begging for priority picks but would never pick up a player like Menegola?

You mean north?

If Will Brodie's not getting a game at Freo then Menegola won't either.
Brodie will be back to the starting 22 next year. For some bizarre reason the Freo faithful thought Jaeger O Meara was better than him. Brodie is AFL quality as a big body inside extractor. If Freo don't play him another team will. We will be losing Henry on a wing, so bringing Menegola in for a year or 2 might not be as crazy as it sounds.

Brodie will be back to the starting 22 next year. For some bizarre reason the Freo faithful thought Jaeger O Meara was better than him. Brodie is AFL quality as a big body inside extractor. If Freo don't play him another team will. We will be losing Henry on a wing, so bringing Menegola in for a year or 2 might not be as crazy as it sounds.

Mainly because he is.

Re: Menegola, if he is planning to move back to WA anyway (not sure on how situation) then he would be a perfect rookie candidate for us.

Mainly because he is.

Re: Menegola, if he is planning to move back to WA anyway (not sure on how situation) then he would be a perfect rookie candidate for us.
Look, we could debate the differences between Brodie and Jaeger for a while, but ultimately though,

Most talented - (Jaeger by a mile)
Most highly rated - Jaeger.
Biggest tank - Jaeger.
Best disposal - Jaeger.
Best player for Freo in 2024 - Brodie.

Jaeger is just not the same player anymore. Injuries have hampered what could have been a brilliant career.

I think Essendon should go after him... perfect player for there club in my view

I would love to get him into the footy club in some capacity.

Even if we only get a dozen games out of him in the seniors and he mostly plays 2's to demonstrate the way we want to go about things, it would be well worth it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back