Retired Sam Menegola [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread is a bit out of date. Not 100% sure if he's an RFA, but Geelong gave him a farewell game and isn't offering him a contract so they obviously wouldn't match, if anyone wants him.

Sam Menegola is set for a farewell game against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night, with Geelong confirming the veteran winger would not be offered a contract for next season.

Menegola has not played at the AFL level since round 22 last season, with a series of injuries wiping out most of his 2023 campaign.

The 31 year old has not announced his retirement, with the intention of finding a fourth home after spending time at Hawthorn and Fremantle before being drafted to Geelong in 2015.

“The time I have had at Geelong has had an immeasurable impact on our lives. I have enjoyed successes, faced challenges, learnt lessons, and developed relationships that will stay with me for a long time,” he said.

“I have had a chance to fulfil a lifelong dream here, and I look forward to what’s next.”

Cats footy boss Simon Lloyd thanked Menegola for his time at the club.

“Across Sam’s entire time at the Cats, he has been an integral and consistent member of our midfield group with his ability to run both ways, find plenty of the ball and regularly hit the scoreboard being among his greatest strengths,” he said.

“He sets extremely high standards when it comes to preparation, training, and on matchday. His work ethic and professionalism are something to behold, and a wonderful example for any young player coming through the AFL system.

“Sam has shown resilience throughout his career, repeatedly returning from injury setbacks to play at the highest level. Although this season hasn’t gone as planned, Sam has been an invaluable mentor to our younger midfielders and we hope we can cap his time off in Geelong with a win on Saturday.”

Menegola will join Isaac Smith in playing their last games for Geelong on Saturday night, with Smith announcing his retirement last month.

But while the two veterans will enjoy a farewell game, uncontracted veterans Tom Hawkins and Zach Tuohy will watch from the sidelines.

Coach Chris Scott said he wanted to see the two premiership players continue on in 2024.

“That’s my hope with those guys,” he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back