Toast Sam Menegola

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we're getting too carried away with Menegola when you consider he's averaged 23 disposals across his first four AFL games. Not many players have that much influence in their first handful of games.

Absolutely not! To start a AFL career with...

- 26 touches, 5 marks, 5 tackles.
- 19 touches, 3 marks, 6 tackles.
- 26 touches, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal.
- 21 touches, 5 marks, 1 tackle & 2 goals (including a very important goal when the pressure was on).

...is very impressive!

- 21 touches, 5 marks, 1 tackle & 2 goals (including a very important goal when the pressure was on).

...is very impressive!
It's quite surreal. He's a beast that just stays involved with the game. He will end up Bartelesque with the way he's going.

Freo must be kicking themselves. And the Hawks let another J. Kennedy slide through.

It's quite surreal. He's a beast that just stays involved with the game. He will end up Bartelesque with the way he's going.

Freo must be kicking themselves. And the Hawks let another J. Kennedy slide through.
A lot to like about Sam - he's 24 so not a kid , very consistent in the WAFL with similar averages to his 4 AFL games
Prepares immaculately , wants it so bad , and has mongrel in him - what's not to like

Menegola was never able to get a go as Fremantle had the best midfield in the game for about 2-3 years.

I think it's outright embarrassing Menegola, Dangerfield and Selwood have come to the club and immediately made Guthrie, Blicavs, Duncan and Motlop look like soft utensils because of their approach to attacking the footy.

Menegola was never able to get a go as Fremantle had the best midfield in the game for about 2-3 years.

I think it's outright embarrassing Menegola, Dangerfield and Selwood have come to the club and immediately made Guthrie, Blicavs, Duncan and Motlop look like soft utensils because of their approach to attacking the footy.
You've named 3 insiders and compared them to an outside mid, a small defender, a forward pocket and a backup ruckman :huh:

In terms of desire... I can't disagree. Danger is something different. But Selwood is no bigger or better than Guthrie or Duncan physically. But he is more willing. Must be the Selwood gene. I did see Duncan and Guthrie be absolutely desperate at the end of the Tigers game so that's something.

Menegola displays a desire that isn't based on being drafted young and as a high pick and therefore being entitled. He wants it and he's showing it. It should be embarrassing to those players you mentioned that he is consistently involved in the game. He keeps trying.

Blicavs... well, he's played in random positions and I don't think he knows where he should be or what he should be doing. He is relatively new to all of this. He is doing well compared to where he came from and should only get better.

I did note that he is our best pressure acts player. I guess that's a good thing. I wonder if those pressure acts lead to clangers or turnovers at a high regularity - which then directly lead to scoring. If so, then good. If not, then it's useless.

Last edited:
He's playing ok, not as good as some here are indicating. We do get carried away at times though.

Under extreme pressure I'm not yet convinced, no.
He did get pinged for that HTB right at the death without knowing the pressure. But hopefully will learn from it.

Guthrie, Blicavs, Duncan and Motlop are outside players.

One of the pet peeves I have had this year is that the outside mids have been locked out while huge 60 metre kicks I50 are all the go. The inside mids just have not been effectively using the ball to get it to someone in a good enough position to send it down without it immediately coming back.

...is very impressive!

There's a huge drop off in tackling pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did he not get a game for the other 2 clubs? Has been awesome for us.
Injuries, timing and the JPod factor.

Sometimes the first crack at it is not your best. And now, look at his hunger each week like its his last...

All the best to him..

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back