Toast Sam Menegola

Who should start in the centre bounce alongside Dangerwood?

• Menegola

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Horlin-Smith

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Duncan

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • S. Selwood

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Cockatoo

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suggest that at one time or another, every sub 50 game player has panicked under pressure. It's part of developing as a footballer.

Very very few arrive on the scene the complete (dare I say it) package....

Absolutely. My concern is a group of players - Menegola among them - who thus far have been found wanting in finals. Repeatedly. Do you personally think this is an issue or an aberration?

Maybe they'll atone next year.

Absolutely. My concern is a group of players - Menegola among them - who thus far have been found wanting in finals. Repeatedly. Do you personally think this is an issue or an aberration?

Maybe they'll atone next year.

Honestly Partridge...I don't know. One can only hope the club does know and trades out those who they believe will never handle it in
September. With respect to Menegola, while it may be an issue, I don't think its an insurmountable one. The Club may think differently, but I doubt it.

Kolo is one who worries me a bit when it comes to September.

But he's young and developing...maybe I'm too harsh on him...

Player turnover this year is going to be very very interesting. We need players who are mentally tough...not just physically adept.

Honestly Partridge...I don't know. One can only hope the club does know and trades out those who they believe will never handle it in
September. With respect to Menegola, while it may be an issue, I don't think its an insurmountable one. The Club may think differently, but I doubt it.

Player turnover this year is going to be very very interesting. We need players who are mentally tough...not just physically adept.

Pretty much agree with that. I'm (obviously) not sold on Menegola, but hope you're right and I'm wrong on him.

Kolodjashnij is strange, as I think sometimes he almost looked more composed two years ago than this year. Maybe it's a positional thing. Like to see him get either a key defensive spot or third tall defender and flourish there (presuming he's automatically selected of course).

Interesting is not the word to describe the coming month.

I'd suggest that at one time or another, every sub 50 game player has panicked under pressure. It's part of developing as a footballer.

Very very few arrive on the scene the complete (dare I say it) package....

NEWSFLASH - Younger, in terms of games and development, fluctuate in terms of consistency especially in Finals when the pressure increases.

I just dont the lack of understanding that it happens.

We've all watch Mitch Duncan do exactly that and this year after 100 odd games he's closed that consistency gap - but then people at shocked and call for heads when it happens to aforementioned players.

Would I luv it to not happen - sure - would be great to produce 46 Joel Selwoods but that is just delusional.

And the rants continue. :rolleyes:

GO Catters

NEWSFLASH - Younger, in terms of games and development, fluctuate in terms of consistency especially in Finals when the pressure increases.

We've all watch Mitch Duncan do exactly that and this year after 100 odd games he's closed that consistency gap - but then people at shocked and call for heads when it happens to aforementioned players.

Would I luv it to not happen - sure - would be great to produce 46 Joel Selwoods but that is just delusional.

GO Catters
How many finals is enough? Blitz 10, Murdoch 5, Kolo 5, Menegola 5,
5 finals are plenty.
We could see Blitz and Murdoch weren't great in finals from their first. They still aren't.
Duncan and Menzel were adept in their first finals series anyway. We're composed and contributed.
Is delusional to think kids are going to be Joel Selwood. Plenty of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players have performed adequately in finals however. Plenty.
Sometimes with composure you've got it or you don't.

5 finals are plenty.
We could see Blitz and Murdoch weren't great in finals from their first. They still aren't.
Duncan and Menzel were adept in their first finals series anyway. We're composed and contributed.
Is delusional to think kids are going to be Joel Selwood. Plenty of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players have performed adequately in finals however. Plenty.
Sometimes with composure you've got it or you don't.

Geez Spazz give it a break. You are like a rusty gate.

Can I point out that this is the same tripe that was being thrown around in 2006. We had multiple players who had failed to stand up in finals in 2004 and 2005 and failed to even make the finals in 2006. Not all but a number of those players learnt, and improved and broke through to see premiership success - they played their role.
Thank goodness the club was running the show and made the assessments/judgements and not the noisiest supporters.

The club has now signalled they are going to have a serious look at the list - lets see what happens rather keep harping.

Can I point out that this is the same tripe that was being thrown around in 2006. We had multiple players who had failed to stand up in finals in 2004 and 2005 and failed to even make the finals in 2006. Not all but a number of those players learnt, and improved and broke through to see premiership success - they played their role.
Thank goodness the club was running the show and made the assessments/judgements and not the noisiest supporters.

The club has now signalled they are going to have a serious look at the list - lets see what happens rather keep harping.
Is very lucky I don't run the club. Otherwise Andrew Mackie, Jarred Rooke and probably a few others would of been delisted.
I'm wrong heaps but it is an opinion site and your allowed to have a discussion.
Otherwise might as well just read the GFC website.
And that's my opinion.Right or wrong I think 5 finals is enough to take that next step and don't think it's terribly unfair if players come under scrutiny after that many.
Lucky the players themselves and the club as a whole had a good look at themselves after 2006 or who knows. They obviously didn't think it was all tripe or they wouldn't of had a review.
Criticism isn't a bad thing or means you don't like the club or think it's terrible, there's just no need to pretend absolutely everything is fine.

Very big difference. Duncan was a finals contributor right away. In the 2011 Grand Final he kicked a massive pressure goal when the game was at his tightest. Not remotely close to some of our more recent finals "performers".

His consistency has rarely been an issue in reality, his output has been increasing pretty much every year (it took a slight dip in 2015 when he missed half the season with injury). He's the least of our worries and always has been.

5 finals are plenty.
Sometimes with composure you've got it or you don't

There's an even more recent example too.

Jack Graham showed more composure in his 5th game than Blicavs or Murdoch ever have in 5 seasons. In a final. A Grand Final.

Had plenty that did though. We also had two very good wins in the 2004 and 2005 finals series - against Essendon and Melbourne.

It's useful to compare the ages of the players that are being questioned too. At the time of the Melbourne win (in 2005), Ling was 24, Corey, Enright, and Chapman were all 23, Johnson was 22, and Ablett, Bartel, and Kelly were all 21. Compare that to now - Menzel and Blicavs are 26, Menegola and Murdoch are 25, Kolodjashnij is still only 22 at least. The improvement required now better come fast.

There's an even more recent example too.

Jack Graham showed more composure in his 5th game than Blicavs or Murdoch ever have in 5 seasons. In a final. A Grand Final.
Dustin Fletcher . 17 just after playing in his school Grand Final.
I know that's an extreme example. But yeah plenty of younger players hold their own in finals each and every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very big difference. Duncan was a finals contributor right away. In the 2011 Grand Final he kicked a massive pressure goal when the game was at his tightest. Not remotely close to some of our more recent finals "performers".

His consistency has rarely been an issue in reality, his output has been increasing pretty much every year (it took a slight dip in 2015 when he missed half the season with injury). He's the least of our worries and always has been.
Yep one player we can't complain about consistently with is Duncan.
Thought Menz, Bundy and Duncan were more than solid in that finals series.
When Duncan got subbed on in the GF he had a direct hand in our next 4 goals.
Luke Darcy then goes Duncan is struggling with the pace of the game. FMD

:thumbsu: X 100

Hello Geelong friends :)

Does anyone happen to be really good with creating GIFs and happen to have a GIF of Sam Menegola’s (our best player) goal of the year on the weekend?

Vesty!!! Been waiting for you to grace this board for a while.

I hope you’re not bored from your fishing on the Bay ...you do reel them in very well.

Back