No Oppo Supporters Sam Mitchell traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy, I remember him being promising over that period, but not dominating. Maybe it was because it's all lost in the fog of our terrible season, and watching bizarre sh!t like Hodge have to do ruckwork. Mainly when the trade went through, I was just generally annoyed that we'd given up two good players, but I didn't see him as overtaking the Hodge-Mitchell-Lewis-Sewell axis of awesome anytime soon. And it was nothing even close to the feeling when we lost Buddy, for example.

Yeah, I felt pretty much the same as you did at the time. My opinion was that he looked like another slow midfielder but with worse disposal than our other slow midfielders. I just think it is revisionism to say he wouldn't have been getting a game. Obviously the coaching staff know a lot more about footy than I do (thank god), and saw enough in him to give him 9 games in a row. I would be surprised if he blew the world away in those 9 games given he'd previously managed what was from memory only 3 games (maybe 4?), so comparing him to the likes of Sewell, Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge and pointing out he wasn't in the best for those games is pretty harsh given you could count his previous senior games on one hand. Looks like from the data you collected that he did gain momentum towards the end of the season , but we are talking like a 13ish game player so it would be unrealistic to expect him to be our number one mid given who else we had. In hindsight we probably should have bitten the bullet and shared his game time more with Sewell, and he'd have developed faster, and we might have been able to justify keeping him, but I certainly didn't see that at the time. At the time I was just sad we'd let a third generation hawk go, I didn't see what he was about to become (I know more keen eyes on here had certainly seen enough to be sure he would make it, and Sydney clearly did too).

Last edited:
So it's been confirmed that we're paying some of his salary. Had to pay for them to take this spud off our hands.
2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b56e39ba1f62301224aa417e84.jpg

Nah, amateur hour is here on BF footy - only you can do it 24/7

At the club, they're actually running a professional organization filled with people who spend all year planning and working on things we get to absorb over just a few days.
As I've said before, just because you or some other posters can't understand or accept the reasoning, doesn't make those charged with the responsibility any less correct in their assessments.

I'll take them in charge, over you or anyone else here on a footy forum, making the decisions for the team today and going forward.
They spent all year deciding to offer Sam a contract, which he accepted, only to move him on the same year right after he won the B&F, for a rubbish pick?

This isn't the result of careful planning. That is abundantly obvious despite the spin.

What an absolute Joke...surely no one can now claim this was a good deal.... Clarko clearly thinks we can't win a premiership in the next few years... but pick 88 ?>? I have no doubt he will star in West Coast.. and we will still have no explanation from our "family" club

As a long term member myself can I ask you how you felt when the Croad thing happened?
In referring to Croady, that trade was a totally different scenario.
I was a bit sad, but he said he'll be back. That decision was get pick 1 in the draft and the trade gave us multiple top picks and I wanted us to get Hodge, and Sam, when we got Daniel Elstone, I thought we'd miss out on him.
So now still not happy and I will remain Paid Up, but not Proud, Passionate yes and P***d off we did trade and now I find we are paying part of his contract
next year, it does feel like he was pushed a bit but club is making him put spin to it.

What an absolute Joke...surely no one can now claim this was a good deal.... Clarko clearly thinks we can't win a premiership in the next few years... but pick 88 ?>? I have no doubt he will star in West Coast.. and we will still have no explanation from our "family" club
Its all about the money.
Must be, otherwise nothing makes sense.

Lll

Eagles general manager of football Craig vozzo on 3AW.

Thanks.

Christ almighty WTF.

OK so just another pure speculation...

What if the underlying story here is that we signed up Mitchell and then in the GF wash-up he's started questioning (or Clarkson has) whether he can genuinely commit to go round again - is there potential that in that scenario we decided we can't afford to keep him just playing a mentor role (given the others like Burgoyne and Hodge who can), but WCE needs precisely that? So far they have shown a propensity to crap their dacks on the big stage.

Would make some vague sense then, along the lines of HFC making the best of a bad situation. Also noting Sam's own comment about his best football being behind him.

For once I'm stating to wonder if KB isn't onto something... there's a big fishy smell here and it's not Paul Salmon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the people came out onto the streets. They were sad and confused and they cried..... "The Mitchell is dead, long live The Mitchell!!"

Best player I have seen play for the Hawks and I saw Mathews and Knights.

Thanks Sam.

Go Tom...

So what's the deal lads? This trade is crazy...

Is there some back story? Mitchell fall out with clarko?

Just doesn't make sense.

Just don't think of it as a "trade". He has no "value" in a draft sense. The picks we got for him are irrelevant, and do not reflect on his worth to the club.

This is clearly a plan designed to help him out with something he wants to do. Mitchell has given so much to the club, and supporters are complaining because they demand more? Would getting a better pick or some player they don't want make it all OK?

I'm taking Sam at his word that he is very excited by the opportunity and he said he would have been disappointed if it fell through. If this is what he wants, I'd be happy for him to go there for free!

In the meantime, some young player gets his chance - and maybe that player will be in the top five of the Crimmins next year, not just all the older crew.

Just don't think of it as a "trade". He has no "value" in a draft sense. The picks we got for him are irrelevant, and do not reflect on his worth to the club.

This is clearly a plan designed to help him out with something he wants to do. Mitchell has given so much to the club, and supporters are complaining because they demand more? Would getting a better pick or some player they don't want make it all OK?

I'm taking Sam at his word that he is very excited by the opportunity and he said he would have been disappointed if it fell through. If this is what he wants, I'd be happy for him to go there for free!

I'm happy Sam is happy too. What I'm not happy about is that this was not Sam's idea, but an idea put to him by the club. Obviously sam liked the idea, and has run with it, but the bit I can't understand is why the club would put the idea into Sam's head to start with. There are a number of reasons why this doesn't seem to be the best outcome for the club. If it is great for Sam, let Sam come up with the idea himself, and come to the club and ask for it to happen (like Hill wanting to play with his brother).

In the meantime, some young player gets his chance - and maybe that player will be in the top five of the Crimmins next year, not just all the older crew.

Yes, game time for others is one positive that comes from this, but we could have done that by moving on several other players that didn't come first in the B&F and were starting to feel the impact of old father time more than Mitchell. We even had one midfielder who was happy to talk to opposition clubs that we are apparently forcing to honour his contract.

To find out we are also paying part of his wage at WC is news that is very hard to handle. "Here have pick 88, and oh, you'll be paying him to play for us". Would it be possible to take the piss any more than this?

cannot get my head around us paying $$ for the privilege of losing our best player :drunk: based on this i reckon the gossip from page 12 was right on the money (if you'll pardon the pun), so im gonna assume the $200K figure is in the ballpark. what a ******* joke.

I couldn't feel more dismayed by this random act of stupidity - it has deeply undermined my faith and respect for the club. To know that in addition to handing him over to a top 4 competitor for nothing we are also contributing to his salary? I simply cannot believe it. I have been a member for over 30 years but have just cancelled my silver family membership for next year. The impacts of this decision will be felt for years to come.

cannot get my head around us paying $$ for the privilege of losing our best player :drunk: based on this i reckon the gossip from page 12 was right on the money (if you'll pardon the pun), so im gonna assume the $200K figure is in the ballpark. what a ******* joke.

Yes, I guess you mean this post:
Sam Mitchell traded

I was hoping that was mostly off the mark, and there were some inconsistencies that didn't make sense, but reviewing everything that we now know, I think it is much closer to accurate than I'd hoped. The bits that didn't make sense make a lot more sense if you are willing to believe the club has massively ****ed up. The harder I find it to understand what has happened, based on what the club has told us, the easier I find it to believe that list management miscalculated a number of issues, and Mitchell leaving is the fallout.

As much as I trust Clarko Wrighty and the club.

This is still so hard to fathom. Sam Mitchell as anything but a Hawthorn player is just wrong. Footy has certainly changed and IMO not for the better.

All about business.

Least we are leading the way. Just have to move on and roll with it. I reckon in a couple of years time we will all look back and think they made the right calls as tough as they were for our future.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back