No Oppo Supporters Sam Mitchell traded

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No nerve hit. Just trying to say the problem you have is you are looking for problems.
How do you know what we planned and nobody knows at this time what he will be worth in the end.
I find it more exciting that we could get a player that our club thinks is worth the high price we are willing to pay.

I think O'Meara will be a fantastic capture for the club. I see him as potentially a top 5 mid in the game if he gets an injury free run at it. However, personally I can't see how our efforts to secure him have gone to 'plan' for the reasons mentioned earlier. GW has a history of getting deals done prior to trade week. They are uncomplicated and done quickly. It seems like we are running around crazy trying to get something GC will accept that doesn't involve us losing Breust, Smith or Shiels.

If GC are accepting pick 10 and Sicily or Langford this should get done Monday. If that happens I will fully admit I am incorrect and everything worked towards GW's plan..

onthemoney

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just heard on ABC radio that Mitch is rumoured to be buying a 9 mil place in Pepperment Grove and will be the first million dollar paid assistant. They didn't say anything more than the headline but I'm not sure how the second part of that goes with the salary cap auditors? Essentially backending a deal?

benfranklin

Senior List
Sep 20, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't love pick 88 any more than anyone else.

But if you were a good young footballer looking for a club, who would you rather play for? A club that cops pick 88 on the chin to get you where you want to go, a la Hawthorn, or a club that talks tough and threatens to sit kids out a whole year or walk them to the pre-season draft on principle, like GWS or Gold Coast?

Pick 88 aint pretty but I'm proud to support a club that tries to do right by people, takes unders, and acts professionally.

I daresay players like this about Hawthorn too.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Just heard on ABC radio that Mitch is rumoured to be buying a 9 mil place in Pepperment Grove and will be the first million dollar paid assistant. They didn't say anything more than the headline but I'm not sure how the second part of that goes with the salary cap auditors? Essentially backending a deal?

Buy cheap: perth property will be on a low cycle right now

Books

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2005
On the Stairway to Heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NZ All-Blacks
The AFL has to give it's stamp of approval before any trade can be processed.

I truly wonder... if any other club had offered to trade it's B & F winner for puck 88, would the AFL approve?
I seriously doubt it.

eaglesfan84

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I couldn't feel more dismayed by this random act of stupidity - it has deeply undermined my faith and respect for the club. To know that in addition to handing him over to a top 4 competitor for nothing we are also contributing to his salary? I simply cannot believe it. I have been a member for over 30 years but have just cancelled my silver family membership for next year. The impacts of this decision will be felt for years to come.
Thanks for giving us Sammy. I love that pic of him in the WCE guernsey.

eaglesfan84

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Does the no opposition supporters tag not mean anything anymore.

This is a thread were a lot of us are really sad to see sammy go and for next to nothing too. And blokes are coming in to gloat.
I had a dream about him last night. Called out to him and he came over smiling and gave us a big hug and we had a good chat. Rest assured he's going to a good home and will be well cared for as he was at Hawthorn.

I had a dream about him last night. Called out to him and he came over smiling and gave us a big hug and we had a good chat. Rest assured he's going to a good home and will be well cared for as he was at Hawthorn.
So you're giving him 4 flags and a brownlow and 5 B&F's? Good luck with that.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
glad to hear it!! I'll put the champagne on ice...

Another ******* nuffnuff who is too illiterate to understand what No Opposition Supporters
means.

The saddest thing about Mitchell leaving for WC is that he will not be on our list when they give your drug cheating captain's brownlow medal to him. Will still be a Hawthorn brownlow though.

Last edited:

hawks787

All Australian
Apr 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Another ******* ****** who is too illiterate to understand what No Opposition Supporters
means.

The saddest thing about Mitchell leaving for WC is that he will not be on our list when they give your drug cheating captain's brownlow medal to him. Will still be a Hawthorn brownlow though.

I've got huge doubts Mitchell or even Cotchin would accept it.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I had a similar dream but when he came over to give me a hug I wouldn't let him go. "I have to leave, I have a flight to catch" he said to me. "Nah mate, you can drive to dingley these days, it's really not that far" I told him...

Oct 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
181165cba2d6946173cf9a6427d80912.png

So hard to look at this photo

Back