M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
simon black- pick 31 1997 draft. 322 games, 171 goals. 3 x premiership player. 1 x brownlow medal. 3 x all australian. 3 x best and fairest. 1 x norm smith medal.

sam mitchell- pick 36 2001 draft. 285 games, 67 goals. 4 x premiership player. 3 x all australian. 4 x best and fairest. 2003 rising star. to be continued.....

2 champions of the game and very comparable in their game style, in my opinion the greatest strength of both players is/was their vision by both hand and foot. both were perceived to have the same weaknesses ie. lack of speed and the ability to hit the scoreboard. both very quick of mind though.
very hard to separate, i go for mitchell simply because he could do what they both do to a higher level on his non dominant side.

Crimony....Can we at least allow the Hawk champs to finish their careers first, so as to gain some clarity & perspective?:drunk:

What's next?....Ackermanis/Burgoyne....Lappin/Lewis?.....Fair dinkum.
love burgoyne, great player but i'll go akermanis by a whisker and lappin comfortably.:)

This has been on my mind all day, black as a footballer has been my idol and always thought of him as underrated. so when this thread popped up i couldnt give an answer, i've looked over highlights, stats, awards.

The conclusion i came to was that even though i still cant decide who was the better player im sure mitchell has had a greater impact on this era than Black did his. Now some people might be taken aback by this statement, if this is you stay with me ill explain.

Mitchell has a statistical dominance over almost all stats on the site i was looking at, this could be because of a higher statistical era so i've kept that in mind.
Even though Black has a few awards that have seemed to alluded mitchell namely the Brownlow when it has came to the brownlow mitchell is a bit of an enigma he is 5th all time votes recived and the only player with 200 votes without a brownlow besides Leigh Matthews. needs 6 votes to pass Chris Judd and has a higher average the Black, West, Buckley and Harvey who i thought all growing up where elite and always polling.
Looking at highlights, mitchell is most certainly in the second half of his career at least the more skilled, both have slight of hand and fantastic skills by hand and foot. find space where there is none and are great under the packs.

even after all his i still cant definitively say who was better on there day, but i think mitchell had the greater impact in his era then black.... just.

This has been on my mind all day, black as a footballer has been my idol and always thought of him as underrated. so when this thread popped up i couldnt give an answer, i've looked over highlights, stats, awards.

The conclusion i came to was that even though i still cant decide who was the better player im sure mitchell has had a greater impact on this era than Black did his. Now some people might be taken aback by this statement, if this is you stay with me ill explain.

Mitchell has a statistical dominance over almost all stats on the site i was looking at, this could be because of a higher statistical era so i've kept that in mind.
Even though Black has a few awards that have seemed to alluded mitchell namely the Brownlow when it has came to the brownlow mitchell is a bit of an enigma he is 5th all time votes recived and the only player with 200 votes without a brownlow besides Leigh Matthews. needs 6 votes to pass Chris Judd and has a higher average the Black, West, Buckley and Harvey who i thought all growing up where elite and always polling.
Looking at highlights, mitchell is most certainly in the second half of his career at least the more skilled, both have slight of hand and fantastic skills by hand and foot. find space where there is none and are great under the packs.

even after all his i still cant definitively say who was better on there day, but i think mitchell had the greater impact in his era then black.... just.
like your thoughts, and the poll backs it up, so far 9 all.

Great reply. My thoughts when I saw the poll was what a beauty. To hard to seperate them, loved watching them do their stuff. They both continued to excel in their later years. You have probalby nailed it Mitchell might just have had that extra influence. Still so close finding it hard to caste a vote.

Two of my favourite all-time players - and with Mitchell finally seeing the media recognition for a decade of elite midfield work we may yet see more awards for him.

Mitchell over Black by the smallest margin - similar to the Voss/Hodge comparison.

Black, just.
I think we saw just how good Black was after most of his teammates had either retired or gone to another club. He was the last of the fab four and he was still a brilliant standout player of the competition. Mitchell has not been through a similar scenario just yet. He can afford to run around without a tag (for the most part) as Hodge, Burgoyne and the younger Lewis are still in career best form.

Black, just.
I think we saw just how good Black was after most of his teammates had either retired or gone to another club. He was the last of the fab four and he was still a brilliant standout player of the competition. Mitchell has not been through a similar scenario just yet. He can afford to run around without a tag (for the most part) as Hodge, Burgoyne and the younger Lewis are still in career best form.
"For the most part" is a bit rich but you made a valid point.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell just. Black was an absolute star but Mitchell probably has more elite seasons under his belt. I think he even has another 1/2 elite seasons in him. Mitchell could easily have another 1-2 b&fs and AA teams in him by now, how he didn't win the 2015 b&f is beyond me, I thought he was their clear standout player.

Black was possibly a little better in tight with his hands as amazing as Mitchell is at this, and Mitchell probably a little better for kicking. Definitely more dual sided although Black was a very good right foot kick for a lefty. Both had the best poise and decision making skills since Diesel, just so smart.

Really well said. My bias says Black as he has been one of my favourites for a long time. But logically there is nothing really between them

Both are/were the best midfielder in a champion team & would love either in my team, but in a close one went for Black

Two of my favourite all-time players - and with Mitchell finally seeing the media recognition for a decade of elite midfield work we may yet see more awards for him.

Mitchell over Black by the smallest margin - similar to the Voss/Hodge comparison.

Not sure how you come up with that comparison. Black and Mitchell is a great comparison and the poll shows that. Voss, and their poll agreed, is clearly ahead of Hodge. Voss Mitchell would be closer but still Voss clearly ahead

Of these 4 the polls are suggesting Voss >> Mitchell = Black > Hodge

Not sure how you come up with that comparison. Black and Mitchell is a great comparison and the poll shows that. Voss, and their poll agreed, is clearly ahead of Hodge. Voss Mitchell would be closer but still Voss clearly ahead

Of these 4 the polls are suggesting Voss >> Mitchell = Black > Hodge

The Voss/Hodge comparison is self-evident one, regardless of any fickle & feckless poll.

Both of em, Triple premiership captains, who lead their teams from the front.

Hodgey's peer-less grand final performances put any questions about it to rest.

Mitchell will probably overtake Simon Black in career disposals, 137 to go.

A higher possession era, so it probably doesn't mean as much, but he's done it in less games too. Mitchell is one hell of a success story given where he's come from. Probably been your best performed player over a very successful period for the club & a champion of the game, all after having been overlooked in his draft year.

This poll was made for me...my favourite Hawthorn player and my favourite non-Hawthorn player..
because both are massively underatted, hard nosed yet silky skilled players. Good poll.

Simon Black is the #1 clearance player of all time. Sam Mitchell is #2.
Simon Black is the #1 contested ball winner of all time. Sam Mitchell is #4.
Simon Black is 8th highest ball winner of all time. Sam Mitchell is the 9th.
Simon Black is #9 in Brownlow votes all time. Sam Mitchell is #5.
Simon Black is a Norm Smith medallist. Sam Mitchell is twice runner up NS medallist.
Simon Black holds the record for most possies in a GF (39). Sam Mitchell holds the record for most in a finals series (137).
Simon Black won 3 AA's and 3 B&F's. Sam Mitchell has 3 AA's and 4 B&F's - both players (to varying levels) unlucky not to have more.
Simon Black captained his club for 2 seasons. Sam Mitchell for 3.
Simon Black played 322 games - Mitchell 285 so far (and has about two seasons left).

See what I mean - very similar and very brilliant records - great comparison and both generally very underrated - years they missed AA a good example of that.

In the end I would pick Mitchell in a coin toss because:
1. His ball use (incl. opp side) maybe a shade better
2. He has had 1-2 more elite seasons and is still going at the top of his game (Mitchell is likely to end his career ahead on all above comparisons)
3. Weight of elite finals performances (Mitchell has the highest disposal average of all time in finals and has collected 29+ disposals in finals 16 times! Next best all time is 11 times). Feels unfair on Black though as it is not his fault his team was poor after 2004.
4. Probably some bias

In Black's favour:
1. Kicked more goals.
2. Always played 'clean' (Mitchell not a dirty player - still never suspended - but has had a couple of minor incidents now).

Back