sam mitchell v simon black

simon black v sam mitchell

• simon black

Votes: 128 66.0%
  • sam mitchell

Votes: 66 34.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Black is the #1 clearance player of all time. Sam Mitchell is #2.
Simon Black is the #1 contested ball winner of all time. Sam Mitchell is #4.
Simon Black is 8th highest ball winner of all time. Sam Mitchell is the 9th.
Nice post. What are the actual figures on these stats? How far off is Mitchell from equalling or surpassing?

Nice post. What are the actual figures on these stats? How far off is Mitchell from equalling or surpassing?
Simon Black(1715) is the #1 clearance player of all time. Sam Mitchell(1581) is #2.
Simon Black(3523) is the #1 contested ball winner of all time. Sam Mitchell(2965) is #4.
Simon Black(7580) is 8th highest ball winner of all time. Sam Mitchell&7443) is the 9th.

~ Sam averages more in both clearances and disposals per game

Last edited:
Black, just.
I think we saw just how good Black was after most of his teammates had either retired or gone to another club. He was the last of the fab four and he was still a brilliant standout player of the competition. Mitchell has not been through a similar scenario just yet. He can afford to run around without a tag (for the most part) as Hodge, Burgoyne and the younger Lewis are still in career best form.

Regardless of whether Hodge, Burgoyne and Lewis are all in career best form, Mitchell's form is , and has nearly always been, better (e.g. last season Mitchell got more Brownlow votes, Coaches votes, media votes, named in bests, B&F votes, stats and everything else than all those players). As such, he is basically first tagged everytime (as he should be). In fact, players like Lewis have very rarely in their entire career received a hard tag. It is Mitchell that has releived them of those tags and allowed them to shine.

(The only time Mitchell does not receive a hard tag is when we play opposition that don't use taggers and instead choose to go head to head. As a Geelong supporter you should know this - back in the day with Ling basically always going to Mitchell, and then Hunt and others for a while when Ling retired, then you stopped bothering as you no longer have a tagger capable of negating his influence (and why Mitchell has been BOG in nearly every recent Geel-Haw clash). I shudder to think how good Mitchell would be (given he gets more of the ball than nearly any other player of all time) if the hard tag throughout his career went to the likes of Lewis, Burgers, etc.)

You are biased and salty, I'm objective and level headed.

The 2 Lions are superior to the 2 Hawks, and the voting reflects that. :thumbsu:

Right, fan voting = facts as we all know. Black was a really good player but I'm struggling to think of what he could do better besides getting a goal every now and then.

IMO Black had a little more pace and was a touch better on the inside.
Your useing pace in a discussion involving Sam Mitchell. Okey mr objective and level headed. Que sfellows.

Mitchell is slower then as many as he is better, and a comparison like this should never be meet with such authority, expecially coming from someone with such high praise of his personal opinion.

Your useing pace in a discussion involving Sam Mitchell. Okey mr objective and level headed. Que sfellows.

Mitchell is slower then as many as he is better, and a comparison like this should never be meet with such authority, expecially coming from someone with such high praise of his personal opinion.
I did say it was practically a coin toss between the 2 as it stands, and that I only have Black ahead by the smallest of margins. I also said that Mitchell, at the rate he is going, will overtake Black in the not to distant future.

Pace might not be one of Mitchell's strengths but it was worth mentioning all the same, plus I also said that I thought Black was a little better on the inside, but of course you ignore that because it doesn't fit in with the whinny tone in your post.

I did say it was practically a coin toss between the 2 as it stands, and that I only have Black ahead by the smallest of margins. I also said that Mitchell, at the rate he is going, will overtake Black in the not to distant future.

Pace might not be one of Mitchell's strengths but it was worth mentioning all the same, plus I also said that I thought Black was a little better on the inside, but of course you ignore that because it doesn't fit in with the whinny tone in your post.
I guess that makes you objective then.

Personally I have nothing against you and have absolutely no issue with the poll outcome or your opinion. Of course i dont want to insult your intelligence I'm sure you already knew i was on the fence in this discussion by reading my posts throughout .

There was no ignoring of anything i saw what you claimed and by no means disagree, although i think the gap in that regard is way to close to have a confident opinion i applaud you for haveing the confidence to put that opinion out there.

As another self proclaimed unbiased subjective poster im sure you can see why i can sfellow at some of your comments if you reread over them. (at least at this point in time with what you have currently out laid)
Maybe it was frustration direct towards some of my more biased brethren who knows. Carry on.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Forgetting stats as the early to mid 2000s was quite different to today & the last 5 or so years and basing an overall package black for me. just had that touch more influence with pill in hand, was absolutely brilliant under the packs and on the inside. One of the best big game players we have seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joke of a thread.

I pride myself on being very impartial when I post but this it a nerve.

Mitchell is better than Black by such a margin I find this offensive.
Jeez, not sure you are being very impartial on this one then. Fair enough that you'd take Mitchell, but suggesting it isn't even close is either you overrating Mitchell or underrating Black.

Said it previously, but Mitchell's lack of goals is something that really stands out to me.

Joke of a thread.

I pride myself on being very impartial when I post but this it a nerve.

Mitchell is better than Black by such a margin I find this offensive.
when i started this thread i thought it would be a 50/50 type result, it's turned out to be 60/40 in blacks favor. i voted for mitchell but to me it is a toss of the coin, mitchells elite ability on both sides of the body by hand and foot swayed the scales for me.
although i can't agree with you that mitchell is better than black by such a margin that the thread result is offensive.

when i started this thread i thought it would be a 50/50 type result, it's turned out to be 60/40 in blacks favor. i voted for mitchell but to me it is a toss of the coin, mitchells elite ability on both sides of the body by hand and foot swayed the scales for me.
although i can't agree with you that mitchell is better than black by such a margin that the thread result is offensive.
I agree with everything you just said mate I over reacted because I couldn't believe the poll results.

Apologies

Jeez, not sure you are being very impartial on this one then. Fair enough that you'd take Mitchell, but suggesting it isn't even close is either you overrating Mitchell or underrating Black.

Said it previously, but Mitchell's lack of goals is something that really stands out to me.

Well said.

Hard to split these two players right now. If I got Black in my team instead of Mitchell I wouldn't complain. Two elite players who had remarkable skills by foot and hand.

Sam Mitchell and Simon Black have an innate sense of where teammates and opponents are situated around them in congested situations.

Blacks hands and feet were freakish. So too Mitchell's, but Black shaded Mitchell imo.

Black was the better & more naturally gifted footballer, without a doubt. But Sam's consistency has been second to none.....Sam's inability to kick goals consistently or kick it beyond 45 meters counts against him....His finals record however is pretty phenomenal; And his dual sided game has had no peer in the game's history, by both hand, agility & foot.

you rate possessions over goals and contested marks?

No....The point was rather more one of consistency.....Sam has had very few bad finals & in the 3 bad one's he did have, he was the number 1 target for a hard tag.....And for good reason.

Black was the better & more naturally gifted footballer, without a doubt. But Sam's consistency has been second to none.....Sam's inability to kick goals consistently or kick it beyond 45 meters counts against him....His finals record however is pretty phenomenal; And his dual sided game has had no peer in the game's history, by both hand, agility & foot.

No....The point was rather more one of consistency.....Sam has had very few bad finals & in the 3 bad one's he did have, he was the number 1 target for a hard tag.....And for good reason.
It's probably just aesthetics, but I prefer Black.

He was as smooth as Egyptian cotton.

Back