• Jason Akermanis

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lets be honest here....Ackers Brownlow win is very much in the same wheel-house as the Shane Woewoeful brownlow win.....If Acker didn't have that peroxide, attention-whoring rinse through that ugly mug of his, then there would be no brownlow medal draped around his neck.

Lets call a spade a spade, shall we!
digger will call itself what it wants.. hawks call them also what they want in time.. it gathers force when it knows the target...

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don't rate the Brownlow as a criteria for measuring the greatness of a player. Umpires have NFI.

Some fantastic players didn't win a brownlow eg. Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett Snr, Ron Barassi, Ted Whitten, Bruce Doull, Jason Dunstall.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
I don't rate the Brownlow as a criteria for measuring the greatness of a player. Umpires have NFI.

Some fantastic players didn't win a brownlow eg. Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett Snr, Ron Barassi, Ted Whitten, Bruce Doull, Jason Dunstall.

Absolutely....In other words the greatest players have never won it.

It doesn't help to be lippy towards the umpires either, mind you.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Mitchell and it's not even remotely close.

The guy understood tempo, time and space better than just about any footballer who has played the game. Akermanis was capable of the more freakish stuff but Mitchell's football brain trumps Aker's skill set.

Mitchell was the Greg Williams of the 21st century (so far).

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Both great on both feet, can't split them, people will vote Aker due to his x-factor and excitement. Mitchell is the most reliable player i have ever seen play and i always felt safe when he had the ball, rarely made a mistake. Bias says Mitchell but i loved Aker although he was a little bit of a fruit loop at times. Both stars of the game!

Seriously both elite champions. Sammy said he foprgot witch was his favoured foot to kick with that's how good he was , Acker would be the same, a game changer a game winner.
They both were, I really can't say, my bias as other Hawks would call Sam, but Jason was, well, the same.

Nah I say a draw!

silkybombers

Debutant
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Aker by a mile! absolute freak/match winner/big game performer
Mitchell was a good consistent workhorse who had crafty skills but no where near the talent of Aker.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aker by a mile! absolute freak/match winner/big game performer
Mitchell was a good consistent workhorse who had crafty skills but no where near the talent of Aker.

Mitchell has the best finals record of any Hawthorn player in our history.....He was the principal architect who drove us to our 3-peat.....while Acker was a mere side-show bit player.

There's some perspective for you.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If I could take one for this Dogs team it would be aker since we already have the midfield covered and a player like aker is rarer/more needed.

Aker was a freakishly talented player with a couple of top end seasons to his name but overall as a player's output over their entire career it is Sam Mitchell and even allowing for the fact that they are both champions, it's not even really that close.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At both their peaks Aker was the more damaging and dynamic.

Not sure there was any real weakness in Aker's game at his peak tbh. Whereas Mitchell still had his weaknesses. At his peak, Aker had the extreme pace, would win his own contested ball, could get the ball on the outside, break tackles, would run defensively, very fit, goal kicker, kick off both feet very skillfully, could kick 55m goals off both feet, was a good tackler for someone who wasn't really a permanent midfielder for most of his career.

I think if you are choosing Mitchell you are doing it for the longevity.

But me personally, if I'm offered a highly dynamic and damaging player over an 8 year period and then he will give another highly servicable 3 years . Or a highly skilled, and yet one dimensional inside midfielder who wasn't a great tackler, couldn't kick goals or kick more than 40 meters and wasn't particularly fit, who would do his thing over 12 years...

I'm taking the damaging dynamic player everytime.

Shows how lucky the Lions where to have the dynamic player and the better version of Mitchell in Simon Black. Then add to the same midfield Voss, Lappin Power...

Last edited:

silkybombers

Debutant
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Aker was a freakishly talented player with a couple of top end seasons to his name but overall as a player's output over their entire career it is Sam Mitchell and even allowing for the fact that they are both champions, it's not even really that close.
Any neutral supporter would agree that Aker was miles better. End of story.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Any neutral supporter would agree that Aker was miles better. End of story.

LOL

1555397798047.png

Back