Sam Mitchell's 34 effective disposals: a new world record??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Mitchell has higher totals than Diesel in:
- career total clearances (2nd of all time)
- career average clearances (7th of all time)

- career contested possessions (5th of all time)
- career average contested possessions (24th of all time)

- career total disposals (12th of all time)
- career total tackles (17th of all time)
- career total i50s (21st of all time)

Diesel shades him in average possessions (just). Not that silly a comparison really. You can dislike Mitchell as a player for whatever reason, but the fact remains that by any standard, he is currently one of the top players ever to take the field.

They didn't record these in Diesel's day did they?

No. So I stand corrected. He still stacks up pretty well against other more recent players that are regarded as some of the best to play the game though.

No arguments form me on that. I think he's probably in the top few mids of his generation. Others have been better for a season or 2 (Judd, Swan etc) but there's few who've been as good for as long.

What I find freakish is his side-step or ability to go from moving forward to backwards, watching a tackler fly straight past him.

Probably will end his career viewed as just below guys like Selwood and Pendles. I suppose if he is able to win a Brownlow, a Normie and grab another B&F, that perception might change.

His 2008 and 2013 perceived GF performances probably hold him back a little.

Top 20 Brownlow vote-getters of all time (1976-77 votes adjusted)
  1. 219 - Gary Dempsey
  2. 215 - Robert Harvey
  3. 209 - Gary Ablett
  4. 209 - Chris Judd
  5. 184 - Simon Black
  6. 183 - Brent Harvey
  7. 180 - Bob Skilton
  8. 178 - Sam Mitchell
  9. 178 - Nathan Buckley
  10. 178 - Kevin Murray
  11. 175 - Scott West
  12. 174 - Leigh Matthews
  13. 172 - Bill Hutchison
  14. 169 - Dane Swan
  15. 162 - Adam Goodes
  16. 159 - Shane Crawford
  17. 154 - Dick Reynolds
  18. 154 - Greg Williams
  19. 151 - Keith Greig
  20. 150 - Michael Voss

Top 20 avg Brownlow votes per game (200 game players)
  1. 0.86 - Bill Hutchison
  2. 0.83 - Gary Ablett
  3. 0.82 - Chris Judd
  4. 0.78 - Dane Swan
  5. 0.76 - Bob Skilton
  6. 0.74 - Ian Stewart
  7. 0.73 - Sam Mitchell
  8. 0.68 - Gary Dempsey
  9. 0.66 - Nathan Buckley
  10. 0.66 - Dick Reynolds
  11. 0.64 - Greg Williams
  12. 0.61 - Simon Black
  13. 0.60 - John Platten
  14. 0.59 - Robert Harvey
  15. 0.59 - Ben Cousins
  16. 0.58 - Laurie Dwyer
  17. 0.57 - Leigh Matthews
  18. 0.56 - Lance Franklin
  19. 0.56 - Keith Greig
  20. 0.56 - Scott West

Top 20 Highest % of Brownlow BOGs
(200 game players)
  1. 18.3% - Gary Ablett
  2. 18.1% - Chris Judd
  3. 17.6% - Ian Stewart
  4. 14.8% - Sam Mitchell
  5. 14.2% - Greg Williams
  6. 14.1% - Gary Dempsey
  7. 13.9% - Dane Swan
  8. 13.1% - Bob Skilton
  9. 12.6% - Nathan Buckley
  10. 12.6% - Simon Black
  11. 12.5% - Peter Matera
  12. 12.3% - Robert Harvey
  13. 12.1% - John Platten
  14. 11.9% - Leigh Matthews
  15. 11.3% - Brent Harvey
  16. 11.1% - Daniel Kerr
  17. 10.9% - Jason Dunstall
  18. 10.8% - Wayne Carey
  19. 10.7% - Ben Cousins
  20. 10.7% - Lance Franklin

Top 20 Highest % of Brownlow vote-polling games
(200 game players)
  1. 38.2% - Gary Ablett
  2. 35.4% - Chris Judd
  3. 35.2% - Dane Swan
  4. 34.6% - Sam Mitchell
  5. 34.3% - Bob Skilton
  6. 33.2% - Gary Dempsey
  7. 31.5% - Nathan Buckley
  8. 29.7% - Greg Williams
  9. 29.3% - Ian Stewart
  10. 28.2% - Ben Cousins
  11. 27.6% - Laurie Dwyer
  12. 27.6% - Robert Harvey
  13. 27.2% - Simon Black
  14. 26.9% - Scott West
  15. 26.8% - John Platten
  16. 26.7% - Michael Voss
  17. 26.6% - James Hird
  18. 26.3% - Shane Crawford
  19. 26.1% - Wayne Schwass
  20. 25.7% - Lance Franklin

Mitchell is not a flog or a dirty player. People are whinging because it happened to their team but he has always played tough and fair from what I have seen. Hodge is dirtier than Mitchell.

And when you have fans from half a dozen different teams complaining about him then it's a trend. Do agree on the last sentence though.

You got a boo boo Tex!

Did the big bad man try and hurt you?

Pathetic.

What a weak dog Mitchell is. He knows the rules stop Walker, Griffen and Fyfe from putting him in his place. And he knows there is absolutely nothing players can do to stop him deliberately injuring them doing games. He knows no-one is going to give his "clumsy" knee a good stomping. I wonder if this clown I quoted would be such a tough man if someone did that to Mitchell.

Obviously a corkie only compromises players for one game, rather than giving them concussion and putting them out for one more - but I see Mitchell's actions as similar in style (but not impact) to a sniper who punches a player in the back of the head. It's completely outside the spirit of the game, because it is gaining a physical advantage over your opponent not by being stronger or braver or tougher, but by being dirtier.

He should have received at least 1 week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell racked up 39 possessions v Freo with a disposal efficiency of 87.2%

34 effective disposals!!! :eek:

Is this the most ever?

Unbelievable game by Mitchell. I've never seen anyone move around so slowly with such arrogance. Almost total contempt for the tacklers closing in on him as he sizes up his options and threads the needle or fires out hand-passes to his team-mates in the clear.

Scott Pendlebury waltzes around tacklers in slow motion, but Mitchell comes to a complete standstill at times and his opponents still can't tackle him. He is a wizard. An absolute genius.
Quick contact the Guinness authorities..he'll be on the cover of next years edition along with the guy who attaches 200 pegs to his face

Pathetic.Mitchell's actions as similar in style (but not impact) to a sniper who punches a player in the back of the head. It's completely outside the spirit of the game, because it is gaining a physical advantage over your opponent not by being stronger or braver or tougher, but by being dirtier.He should have received at least 1 week.

The only thing more pathetic than your scanctimonious diatribe, is your soundly lacking understanding of what it means to play a collision sport.

It's called covering up. You do it to avoid contact when you're not entirely expecting it, when an opponent runs at you. Play football, and you will find yourself doing it at least once, and possibly more if a team targets you.

Sam Mitchell has been targeted, and beaten from pillar to post by teams doing exactly what you've written above - he's sufferered truly cowardly attacks, elbows and knees to his head, behind the play, at the bottom of packs, between goals etc. from very early in his career.

You haven't watched enough football to know this. You don't have context or insight. You've simply read column inches in the Hun, or learned to parrot grown men whose job it is to seize on something to turn into news each week.

This shame you're trying to throw in Sam's direction, actually belongs to you.

The only thing more pathetic than your scanctimonious diatribe, is your soundly lacking understanding of what it means to play a collision sport.

It's called covering up. You do it to avoid contact when you're not entirely expecting it, when an opponent runs at you. Play football, and you will find yourself doing it at least once, and possibly more if a team targets you.

Sam Mitchell has been targeted, and beaten from pillar to post by teams doing exactly what you've written above - he's sufferered truly cowardly attacks, elbows and knees to his head, behind the play, at the bottom of packs, between goals etc. from very early in his career.

You haven't watched enough football to know this. You don't have context or insight. You've simply read column inches in the Hun, or learned to parrot grown men whose job it is to seize on something to turn into news each week.

Give me a spell mate he is blatantly doing it to cork and its working.

generally if an opponents running at you you tackle if they have the ball or get rid of it you do...pussies scared of contact generally 'cover up' :)

Show me all the incidents, name the players, the number of times he's done it - it's been a long career, there must be thousands that you've seen?

He got pulled up for it years ago. The three incidents this year are fairly blatant and I think you believe Sam Mitchell pisses rainbows so hardly think if you can't see it now then I am not going to convince you as you sound stupidly one eyed. I would dare say he has done it more but it just hasn't been highlighted until the Tex one. To be honest I rate it from a Hawks point of view. Do it as much as possible to give your team the advantage until you cop scrutiny from the MRP which will now happen if he does it again.

He got pulled up for it years ago. The three incidents this year are fairly blatant and I think you believe Sam Mitchell pisses rainbows so hardly think if you can't see it now then I am not going to convince you as you sound stupidly one eyed.

So you can't name any then, aside from what you're parroting?

There's a lot of people in AFL media, all clambering over one another to try and be heard when the headlines are written.

The only thing more ridiculous than the clowns doing it, are the people gobbling it up without question.

If it's a bad as people say, anywhere near so, Sam Mitchell would have been suspended a dozen times or more.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story there.

So you can't name any then, aside from what you're parroting?

There's a lot of people in AFL media, all clambering over one another to try and be heard when the headlines are written.

The only thing more ridiculous than the clowns doing it, are the people gobbling it up without question.

If it's a bad as people say, anywhere near so, Sam Mitchell would have been suspended a dozen times or more.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story there.

You're right...Tex didn't get corked badly, Griffen didn't retaliate because he knew exactly what Mitchell was trying to do and Fyfe wasn't hurt at all.

Sam Mitchell is an extremely fair player who doesn't have a history of this kind of stuff. The media is just picking on Sam as all players deliberately raise there knees and jump into a bump...you see it every weekend.

Dam media doctoring that vision.

Dam media doctoring that vision.

You don't have anything other than what you've been fed by Robbo and co.

It must be great having people telling you what to think all the time. Really saves on effort, and basing your opinions on your own eyes and experience.

You know your wrong. Bias googles are clouding your judgment. With all the evidence of him that this isn't just a once off. His a repeat offender especially after doing pretty much the same thing two weeks ago. I'd have to say with that Fyfe one this week it has completely changed my opinion of Mitchell as it has with most of the AFL community. Take your supporters hat off. This isn't an accident anymore, yeah you do it once ok fair enough it's a contact sport let it go, but Mitchell's done it 3-4 times. His on notice now, everyone, the AFL community are all watching him closely. His got to stop it or his going to get what's coming to him and I think it deserves more then just a week. I'd give him 3-4 the next time he does it. It's pretty much cheating and a poor way to win a game. I've lost all respect I had for him, nothing tough in using tactics to hurt a good opposition player deliberately which he clearly is. Don't kid yourself.

You don't have anything other than what you've been fed by Robbo and co.

It must be great having people telling you what to think all the time. Really saves on effort, and basing your opinions on your own eyes and experience.

Mate I am not blind like you. Watcg the vision....see more vision of the same tactic....see even more vision....add in history.

Nice Robbo rubbish to deflect from the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back