Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I’ve often wondered what the dynamic is like when a relatively young ex-player comes back to the club as coach, ie now fully in charge, and there’s still several players there who the now-coach used to play alongside, and I do again now.
Just off the top of my head: Gunner, Breuster, Sheila, Titch, BB…

I’ve often wondered what the dynamic is like when a relatively young ex-player comes back to the club as coach, ie now fully in charge, and there’s still several players there who the now-coach used to play alongside, and I do again now.
Definitely a lot less than previous young ex-players. Voss (21), Hird (19) and Buckley (17).

We have Gunston, Breust, Hardwick, Shiels, Howe, McEvoy and Sicily. So that’s only 7 left on our list from 2016.

Definitely a lot less than previous young ex-players. Voss (21), Hird (19) and Buckley (17).

We have Gunston, Breust, Hardwick, Shiels, Howe, McEvoy and Sicily. So that’s only 7 left on our list from 2016.
Did Mitchell and Mitchell never play together?

We’ve been going for it the last few years with that group though. There’s been a couple of injuries there but even without them that group has shown us that it’s not going to win a flag.

It’s one of the reasons Mitchell is coach. And I’d hope he will take us on a new direction, one much more focused on youth. And every indication he’s given so far has been that he will. What team he selects come round 1 will tell us a lot also.

Hill Poppy Bruest Gunston shiels stratton as youngsters themselves added to the older group we had - without those guys the 'core group' we keep referring to maybe dont win a flag either

If we hasten their departure - it really is going to be a seven year thing
there's also the matter of the Board with Jeff or whomever comes after - would they see it through? Quite a few young coaches have been sold the 'rebuilding' strategy only to be cut when the board and fans get toey

Last edited:

If they don't get over that, Its a little 'selfish' really

He’s a few years older than those guys and would have been considered a leader even back in those days so I don’t think there would be any weird dynamic change. Sam freely admits to not being that close to a lot of team mates as well so it’s not like a close friend is suddenly in charge.

I think the weirdest dynamic is when a young coach you’ve played against comes in. Can often cause a bit of friction. I remember Clarko wasn’t well loved by a few of our senior players when he first came in and that supposedly ruffled some feathers.

There will be a window of opportunity while Bruest Gunston Mitchell Omeara Wingard even Hartigan Frost Sicily are on the list (theres plenty of prime quality there)

Whether you think the 'high water mark" (My preferred term over 'premiership clock') would fall short or be successful is another matter.

My view is that its morally bankrupt to not go for it
Otherwise agree

It was that view that led to the misguided previous reload strategy.

It wasn't on then and it's not on now.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was that view that led to the misguided previous reload strategy.

It wasn't on then and it's not on now.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

does that imply you'd cut those guys loose based on alone - or tell them were deliberately not trying our best you can find another club if you want that?
The 2008 flag had 11 guys who were on the list when clarko arrived in 2004

Last edited:
I told 'em they should have brought in Mystic Meg. But no, they had to go with boring old Sam Mitchell.
The man never told a fortune in his life.
d408d434f81340c5244c1285d9e0629f.jpg

Sammy bought into the Clarkson way 100% when he was here. Its not going to be that much different. Prepare to be dissapoint

Assistant coach fully backed the incumbent head coach? I’m shocked to be sitting here. I don’t think the board went through such a messy divorce with Clarko for Sam to just maintain the status quo.

Sammy bought into the Clarkson way 100% when he was here. Its not going to be that much different. Prepare to be dissapoint
If that was true Sam wouldn't have been a point of difference, and wouldn't have been given the job.

So we know that it's not true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that was true Sam wouldn't have been a point of difference, and wouldn't have been given the job.

So we know that it's not true.

I think Sam buying into clarko way is100% true in context, as a player yes. An in young Clarko's was drafting youth when he first started out as coach.

Young Clarko's success was young draftee's with a touch of smart trades in for late round selections. An he was much more daring in his game plan and rolling the dice.

The other thing i loved about young Clarko is he was more hands on, down and around the players. Mitchell seems to be like that as well with his player.

I have no doubt when it comes to Clarko's game plans, they will have Mitchell's finger prints all over them, with adjustments, with a more attacking game plan when the opportunity arises to be taken.

I also think Mitchell already has some of his own game plans in draft stages as well.

Poor old Clarko was simply burnt out in my opinion, an a break could see him return to the AFL more dangerous than ever in 2023.

Why is that?
Day and Worpell are booked marked by all and sundry as young players with a strong future. Moore has not been as celebrated. He was a bees away from being cut last year and despite putting in as good a season as you could have wanted, seemed like he was barely holding on to a spot. The fact that Mitchell has included him with the other two implies he rates him as much as anyone on the list and would expect him to be an important part of the future. I would have expected names Like DGB or Kosi or CJ to spring up ahead of him. Big endorsement.

Day and Worpell are booked marked by all and sundry as young players with a strong future. Moore has not been as celebrated. He was a bees away from being cut last year and despite putting in as good a season as you could have wanted, seemed like he was barely holding on to a spot. The fact that Mitchell has included him with the other two implies he rates him as much as anyone on the list and would expect him to be an important part of the future. I would have expected names Like DGB or Kosi or CJ to spring up ahead of him. Big endorsement.

seemed like he was barely holding on to a spot

I dont know anyone who thought this about Moore

DGB, Kosi and CJ haven’t been in the system as long as Moore and DGB has only played a handful of games and was injured most of his first year - let’s let the kid find some consistent game time before we sling leadership expectations his way.

Your estimation of 2019/20 Moore with some here predicting his delisting is accurate however you are minimising the season he had this year. Barely holding onto his spot? He played 20 games was our 3rd highest goal kicker and is now a walk up best 22 player. That’s a player who is starting to stand up and make a name for himself - so it doesn’t at all surprise me that he’s potentially coupling that with off field leadership as well.

Personally I'm not surprised because Sam was on record this time last season of saying Moorey was primed to become a best 22 player. He's also a heart and soul member of the squad by the looks of it. A bloke you want driving standards by his work rate and desire to succeed. Being the face of our LGBTQ videos on the socials this year is an example how the club values his personality and leadership too.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not surprised because Sam was on record this time last season of saying Moorey was primed to become a best 22 player. He's also a heart and soul member of the squad by the looks of it. A bloke you want driving standards by his work rate and desire to succeed. Being the face of our LGBTQ videos on the socials this year is an example how the club values his personality and leadership too.
He's a hard player to match up on, great body work in a marking contest so you need someone strong contest and a player that can go with him in a contest most likely cant go with him up the ground due to his incredible gut running. Glad its clicked for him.

Assistant coach fully backed the incumbent head coach? I’m shocked to be sitting here. I don’t think the board went through such a messy divorce with Clarko for Sam to just maintain the status quo.
all
but 2 years of Clarksons 17 years, and 3 years before that
Ironically Sammy has been a hawk longer than Clarko.
Sam Mitchell - Crawford - Platten - Tuck/Matthews - Parkin - Arthur - quite a succession

Nice words from Ned Reeves today.

Day one also marked Sam’s first day as being a head coach and he was clearly excited, and the boys were excited for him too. We're all aware there’s not much we can do to stop all the talking in the media about expectations and what Hawthorn will look like heading forward, but in the background the players are very confident and looking forward to a new era. Especially those boys who had played a lot under Sam at Box Hill who would constantly talk up Sam’s methods to the older boys who hadn’t seen him as much.

The direction that the club is going is very clear, and I believe the younger demographic we have on our list now will thrive and develop really quickly.

4th in the PCM is barely holding on to his spot?

Jack Scrimshaw's in some trouble.

I think the weirdest dynamic is when a young coach you’ve played against comes in. Can often cause a bit of friction. I remember Clarko wasn’t well loved by a few of our senior players when he first came in and that supposedly ruffled some feathers.
Wingard seems enamoured with Mitch. Don't know about Frost and Hartigan though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back