Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

272901764_5034866719913260_8911801390449018912_n.jpg
Morrison stiff

What about Conor Nash and Daniel Howe?

Couldn't even get a spot on the bench...

Some quality content from the club. At the rate young Ward is filling out he could end up a modern day Micky Conlan.

Can't wait to see these kids in action. Could be the best crop in years.
Side note, Worps looks like he's carved out of stone in this video. Looking forward to seeing how the mids go this year under Mitch!

Quote from the Adduci article on AFL website:

Adduci has trained with the forwards over the past few weeks, working closely with three-time premiership veteran Luke Breust, Dylan Moore and Jai Newcombe.

This reads that Newcombe has been training as a forward. Maybe the brains trust is thinking midfield, resting up forward - not on the bench. His tackling pressure would be most welcomed. It’s been missing since Poppy retired.

Adduci has trained with the forwards over the past few weeks, working closely with three-time premiership veteran Luke Breust, Dylan Moore and Jai Newcombe.

This reads that Newcombe has been training as a forward. Maybe the brains trust is thinking midfield, resting up forward - not on the bench. His tackling pressure would be most welcomed. It’s been missing since Poppy retired.
Would need to work on his speed (considerably) for that role, but there's every chance he could offer some genuine forward grunt as a scoring option.

If the club wants fast track midfield options who may not have a full tank yet, it’s seems like one way to do it.
Maybe the high midfield rotation of the Clarko years will continue somewhat. Also the rotation cap has been reduced?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would need to work on his speed (considerably) for that role, but there's every chance he could offer some genuine forward grunt as a scoring option.
I have been wondering if Finn and maybe Newcombe could play up forward and we try and isolate them to use their strength and size as an advantage. Kind of like how caddy was briefly a hard match up up forward. Just an option that would make it easier to have them in the side for development plus provide a genuine option when not in the middle.

Would be interesting - however my money would be on the AFL journalist having no idea who Jai is nor where he plays.

I do enjoy the ‘FiRe SaLe’ narrative of the press that ignores the fact that senior footy players are adults who can handle big concepts. Two of whom knew what was going on and wanted to stay at the club to be part of the rebuild despite the messy coaching handover. The belief is there.

It’s a good article and I want to congratulate Ryan on most that he writes and put him up there as the best footy writer, but then I read this…

It’s why his presence at Hawthorn will be invaluable for players such as Dylan Moore and Josh Morris, with Mitchell recognising that and putting Breust to good use.”

Larry David Reaction GIF

I do enjoy the ‘FiRe SaLe’ narrative of the press
That narrative holds two mutually exclusive tenets to be absolutely true.

1. Hawthorn were 'bad' for seeing if they could get high picks with their better older players. That tactic was a failure.
2. They should have taken whatever they were offered, like pick 60 for Gunston, because their list is so s**t. Not doing so was also a failure.

I do enjoy the ‘FiRe SaLe’ narrative of the press that ignores the fact that senior footy players are adults who can handle big concepts. Two of whom knew what was going on and wanted to stay at the club to be part of the rebuild despite the messy coaching handover. The belief is there.
Part of the narrative was probably driven by oppo clubs trying to rock the boat.

With the Breust / GWS trade, they were filthy we spent 3 days negotiating the deal without having run it past the player before hand (in the words of Bartel). But from all reports we didn’t want to bring the deal to player unless it worked for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back