Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

11:50 "they go up there and play Gold Coast on a slippery night"

1713307824220.png

I'd actually have Howe in over Shiels based on the end of last season. Shiels looked like he was dropping off.

I'd have them both in!

If we're just reading names off paper, Shiels & Howe both offer experience and consistency compared to a couple of the youngers players we've selected.

Having said that, though, the Round 1 Team isn't our best team, it was simply the team selected based on form, KPI's, balance, player match-ups, etc.

Not gonna lie, I’m a bit concerned that we could cop a belting with so many players under 10 games.
It's not really all that bad. We don't have a position on the ground where we lack experienced heads.

Fwd: Wingard, Gunston, Breust (post Rd 1)
Mid: O'Meara, Mitchell, Shiels, McEvoy (post Rd 1)
Def: Frost, Sicily, Hardwick

It's not really all that bad. We don't have a position on the ground where we lack experienced heads.

Fwd: Wingard, Gunston, Breust (post Rd 1)
Mid: O'Meara, Mitchell, Shiels, McEvoy (post Rd 1)
Def: Frost, Sicily, Hardwick
Tomorrow though.

Well we are putting out a youth dominated 22 that heaps have argued over last few years that is not sensible / harmful for development (as not enough senior guys) / bad for our ‘winning’ culture etc etc.

Having a fair few players out (BB, Breust, day, Impey, bramble) and still not picking Phillips, howe, Hartigan is a pretty big statement of intent.

It’s a shame we didn’t do this a few years ago really.
We didn't have the talent a few years ago. We tried plenty of young players but most didn't make the grade. The current crop looks a lot more promising.

Well we are putting out a youth dominated 22 that heaps have argued over last few years that is not sensible / harmful for development (as not enough senior guys) / bad for our ‘winning’ culture etc etc.

Having a fair few players out (BB, Breust, day, Impey, bramble) and still not picking Phillips, howe, Hartigan is a pretty big statement of intent.

It’s a shame we didn’t do this a few years ago really.
Probably need to see how we go before making a judgment on how good or bad it is for player development and winning culture.

No doubt Clarko hung onto a few too long in the senior side too long so it’s good to see a few fresh faces. I think the key to making this side work is that the midfield gets the job done and we have most of our mature mids in the team. We also have good experienced leaders at both ends in gunston in the forward line and Hardwick and frost in defence. There is reason to be optimistic in the short term but it is a very in experienced side and we will probably lose frequently if this is the profile of the side we put out each week.

Sam has a new assistant coach

At least one half of the AFL’s 18 clubs will employ full-time female assistant coaches in their previously all-male coaching departments before the end of the 2022 season.

Hawthorn were initially unsuccessful in their presentation for funding for Goddard, who would have worked instead as the Hawks’ integrity officer to remain at the club. Because the club is still carrying Alastair Clarkson’s wage and was struggling to fit Goddard into its soft cap as a full-time assistant coach, CEO Justin Reeves wrote a strongly worded letter of complaint to AFL football boss Andrew Dillon suggesting Goddard should not be overlooked for AFL funding simply because she was experienced and not a fledgling coach.

All nine women coaches will all earn at least $100,000 a year, which will sit outside the football-department soft cap. The AFL will contribute $50,000 to each aspiring woman coach with the clubs making up the difference.

Dillon pledged to fund six women coaches last December, but this week expanded that number to nine following Hawthorn’s complaint, along with two other short-listed but initially unsuccessful clubs.

Probably need to see how we go before making a judgment on how good or bad it is for player development and winning culture.

No doubt Clarko hung onto a few too long in the senior side too long so it’s good to see a few fresh faces. I think the key to making this side work is that the midfield gets the job done and we have most of our mature mids in the team. We also have good experienced leaders at both ends in gunston in the forward line and Hardwick and frost in defence. There is reason to be optimistic in the short term but it is a very in experienced side and we will probably lose frequently if this is the profile of the side we put out each week.
Personally I feel even with our outs forward and back. I still feel least confident in our mids ability to perform this week. And most weeks.

I think the break up of cba’s most weeks will be interesting to see. How much opportunity will Mitchell give to the younger brigade? Because team selection says it’ll likely be a lot.

I think we’ll definitely see bigger blowouts this year. But with so many youngsters playing I’m looking forward to seeing the future. Least I can see a path out of the bottom of the ladder. Something that hasn’t been clear the last 2 years.

If Sam continues with the same approach losses will likely stack up - but i’d rather that then revert to the Phillips, howe, Hartigan etc. We need to rebuild and fast track some players.

Let’s also remember we barely won a game with a ‘win now’ approach in first half of the season last year.
Why are you so quick to write off a team that I would value as being better for the modern game and against north then the reverse of senior players who can’t kick.

The kids won’t play every game but they are arguably better already then those seniors, and upside for quick development is huge

Why are you so quick to write off a team that I would value as being better for the modern game and against north then the reverse of senior players who can’t kick.

The kids won’t play every game but they are arguably better already then those seniors, and upside for quick development is huge
We are playing frost, shiels and Worpel (terrible kicks) but not Howe (a good kick). Not sure kicking skills is the necessary attribute that governs our selection!

Last edited:
Personally I feel even with our outs forward and back. I still feel least confident in our mids ability to perform this week. And most weeks.

I think the break up of cba’s most weeks will be interesting to see. How much opportunity will Mitchell give to the younger brigade? Because team selection says it’ll likely be a lot.

I think we’ll definitely see bigger blowouts this year. But with so many youngsters playing I’m looking forward to seeing the future. Least I can see a path out of the bottom of the ladder. Something that hasn’t been clear the last 2 years.
We have only had Worpel, Mitchell and omeara play something like 19 games together. It isn’t all that surprising that they are yet to gel as plenty of gaps in there with Mitchell or omeara out of the side. I think Nash and Newcombe give us the size those three lack. Hopefully ward and MacDonald can bring the foot skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are playing first, shiels and Worpel (terrible kicks) but not Howe (a good kick). Not sure kicking skills is the necessary attribute that governs our selection!
Agree on shiels but Worpel atm gets a reprieve, due to being in a strong age and worked closely with Sam but I could see that changing if he keeps up.

I see shiels as being that senior body/mind he didn’t want to loose and due to big boy being out means he will stay until he is completely pushed out. Will probably still pick up 20 and do some nice things.

The new speed of maginess if he can further develop his game is hard to pass up instead of howe, definitely a pick for the long term but the game is pretty quick now so may work in the short term as well.

We are playing frost, shiels and Worpel (terrible kicks) but not Howe (a good kick). Not sure kicking skills is the necessary attribute that governs our selection!

Don't let Dom see you say that (... Worpel's a terrible kick).

He'd un-ironically tell you that if you knew Worpel before he was drafted you'd know that he was a good kick. Despite literally every draft watcher noting that his kicking ability was his one biggest weakness.

Sam Season launch press conference pre Round 1
Well they need to harden up!

I battled through the dark times - didn't even see my first premiership until Grade 2! (and Grade 4, 5, 7).
My son had to wait until Grade 3 (grade 4 and 5).
My daughter was so lucky. Kinder, Prep and Grade 1. The end of grade 2 was so confronting.
I had to wait until I was 14 months for my first.

And only seen another 6 since. It's a tragedy and we need to fix it. It's not fair to be 34 and only had 7 flags in your lifetime.

Don't let Dom see you say that (... Worpel's a terrible kick).

He'd un-ironically tell you that if you knew Worpel before he was drafted you'd know that he was a good kick. Despite literally every draft watcher noting that his kicking ability was his one biggest weakness.
Worpel is not a terrible kick. Hell neither is Shiels.

I had to wait until I was 14 months for my first.

And only seen another 6 since. It's a tragedy and we need to fix it. It's not fair to be 34 and only had 7 flags in your lifetime.
I had to wait 15 years for mine. For majority of those years of my childhood, we were underwhelming to say the least. I wonder how many Hawthorn supporters still around today went through as much in their early years!

Worpel is not a terrible kick. Hell neither is Shiels.
But the difference if a link in the chain breaks due to poor kicking is often a scoring result or chance to for the other side, and if we want to be a top 4 side these are the issues that need to rectified. Shiels has dropped in his quality and doesnt have the support he once did which means he gets caught out sometimes.

Worpel to mine should be better, so lets see how the season plays out.

But the difference if a link in the chain breaks due to poor kicking is often a scoring result or chance to for the other side, and if we want to be a top 4 side these are the issues that need to rectified. Shiels has dropped in his quality and doesnt have the support he once did which means he gets caught out sometimes.

Worpel to mine should be better, so lets see how the season plays out.
They brought up a stat last year that Shiels was the best inside 50 kick in the comp or something, it was often brought up last year. Zero idea what it means or meant.

They brought up a stat last year that Shiels was the best inside 50 kick in the comp or something, it was often brought up last year. Zero idea what it means or meant.
He had 80 inside fifties for 9 goal assists. Can’t see that being anything like the best in the comp. You need to look with you eyes and not your heart. He isn’t a great kick and he never has been.

He had 80 inside fifties for 9 goal assists. Can’t see that being anything like the best in the comp. You need to look with you eyes and not your heart. He isn’t a great kick and he never has been.
Dom is right though.
I can't recall the exact stat either but there is one relating to Shiels and I50's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back