Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Interesting to hear Lloyd talking us down for one thing, but Kornes of all people talking us up for it.

Kane has actually been a fan of Sam most of the year. Of the list and club, maybe not as much, but he's been talking highly of Sam all season I reckon.

Would love to get Lloyd's thoughts on what Rutten is coaching like. I'd say somewhere between a potato and a pot plant.

Interesting to hear Lloyd talking us down for one thing, but Kornes of all people talking us up for it.

Isn't Sam a regulor on Cornes radio gig...likewise he fronts up to 360 and all the other media outlets. They will be loathe to smash him even when it goes a bit pear shaped given how much time he offers em.

Kane has actually been a fan of Sam most of the year. Of the list and club, maybe not as much, but he's been talking highly of Sam all season I reckon.

Would love to get Lloyd's thoughts on what Rutten is coaching like. I'd say somewhere between a potato and a pot plant.
Actually he’s really amped up on Sam in the past week after having a long chat to him in the studio prior to last weeks Footy Classified interview. Says he didn’t realise just how smart he is.

Saying mitchell is coaching like an interim coach is so disrespectful

Not really disrespectful in the context in which he said it - that he's allowing the team to be aggressive etc. with our ball movement.
Its completely disrespetful to say it, to say that his game plan and coaching style is that of an interim coach

Disrespects all the work he has done in building relationships with players and the work he has done on developing the game style

I interpreted the "interim coach" comment as meaning his style of coaching - very bold, attack first - was similar to what is seen from interim coaches, as opposed to most contracted coaches who go for a slower, more defensive style.

Sam is prepared to take risks and isn't coaching to protect a W/L ledger or avoid any beltings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I interpreted the "interim coach" comment as meaning his style of coaching - very bold, attack first - was similar to what is seen from interim coaches, as opposed to most contracted coaches who go for a slower, more defensive style.

Sam is prepared to take risks and isn't coaching to protect a W/L ledger or avoid any beltings.

No doubt moving forward there will come a time when we start really knuckling down on our defensive structure. Sam knows we must at some stage, he's extremely smart and we won't get any silverware without addressing it.

I think there is also an element of truth to the fact that if you just focus on defending, especially with a young group, you get very defensive minded, you give yourself no chance of winning games, and that eventually starts to ingrain itself into your culture. It also becomes very hard to watch, which in turn creates even more negativity from the membership and club/board.

We know we are a fair way off, but we are so watchable and exciting, it's creating a really positive feeling and I think that in turn can help propel the club as a whole forward during this rebuild/reset time.

Yeah we leak goals, who doesn't? But we score, we take the game on and we are good to watch. And this just gives me so much promise for the next phase of this club, something I didn't feel in 2019 or early 2020.

No doubt moving forward there will come a time when we start really knuckling down on our defensive structure. Sam knows we must at some stage, he's extremely smart and we won't get any silverware without addressing it.

I think there is also an element of truth to the fact that if you just focus on defending, especially with a young group, you get very defensive minded, you give yourself no chance of winning games, and that eventually starts to ingrain itself into your culture. It also becomes very hard to watch, which in turn creates even more negativity from the membership and club/board.

We know we are a fair way off, but we are so watchable and exciting, it's creating a really positive feeling and I think that in turn can help propel the club as a whole forward during this rebuild/reset time.

Yeah we leak goals, who doesn't? But we score, we take the game on and we are good to watch. And this just gives me so much promise for the next phase of this club, something I didn't feel in 2019 or early 2020.
Yep - there's this unchallenged wisdom that you should start with defense.

I think Bomber Thompson did it with Geelong's good stint. Sheedy did it way back. Roos.

Clarkson was more known for how we defended the whole ground (Clarko's cluster ((cringe))) - but then everyone got caught up with talking about our 'keepings off' gameplan they forgot how defensively minded we were.

But why isn't it just as valid to start with attack? To learn how to slice through a defense whenever you get the chance? To go end-to-end in three possessions? To build on that enthusiastic energy that comes with knowing you can do that?

Imagine being a young key forward learning your craft when the side is only kicking 8-10 goals a week?
Or a key defender trying to learn your craft when really you can just bludge it a bit because you've always got 2-3 blocks filling the hole in front of you.

Exactly.

He's not being disrespectful.

With the way our midfield has gone if we didn't go attacking, the ball would be stuck in the backline and we would end up losing regularly 80-50 (eg the end of the Clarkson era). The thing we do need to do better is shut games down for 5-10 minutes when teams get a run on

Just look at our games this year.
Won 4, led in the last quarter in another 3 games, got within 10 points late in another 2 and the 1 real blowout against St Kilda.

Last couple of years Lloyd was complaining that we were the most boring, now we are one of the best and Lloyd is still criticising the game style

Yep - there's this unchallenged wisdom that you should start with defense.

I think Bomber Thompson did it with Geelong's good stint. Sheedy did it way back. Roos.

Clarkson was more known for how we defended the whole ground (Clarko's cluster ((cringe))) - but then everyone got caught up with talking about our 'keepings off' gameplan they forgot how defensively minded we were.

But why isn't it just as valid to start with attack? To learn how to slice through a defense whenever you get the chance? To go end-to-end in three possessions? To build on that enthusiastic energy that comes with knowing you can do that?

Imagine being a young key forward learning your craft when the side is only kicking 8-10 goals a week?
Or a key defender trying to learn your craft when really you can just bludge it a bit because you've always got 2-3 blocks filling the hole in front of you.
If you take things to their absolute extremes a "perfect" defensive side who never concedes a score but never scores themselves is only capable of drawing a game. And if they ever did make a mistake in their defensive wall that allows a score and they can never catch back up.

A "perfect" attacking side who always scores a goal when they win the ball but always concedes a score when they don't is capable of winning a game by lots or losing by lots, and anything in between. It just comes down to how much more often they can get the ball in their hands than the opposition.

Obviously no team in reality can be either of these extremes, but it would make sense that you'd model your team more on the version that could actually win a game - the one that can put a score on the board - and concentrate on the attributes of that style that maximise your chances of delivering a win. In this case it would be winning and maintaining possession more than the opposition do.

In other words, offence can be the best defence.

Nah, he was. He started off saying that there’s no longer term strategy with what Sam is doing.
The media go on and on about how it's the coaches who should change the game back to attacking footy and they are all keener to stop a goal then kick a goal. Anytime you get an attacking coach they should talk them up.

An interim coach would play all our senior players and try to poach every win possible (think Teague after he took over from Bolton) just to build a reputation. Sammy is the exact opposite, he's playing the long game, he doesn't just want to get some first year brownie points by papering over the cracks, he wants a flag and sustained success. His methodology to achieve it is just foreign to yesterday's footballers who talk about the game today.

I saw it. He was potting Mitchell. Who cares, he's just trying to take the spotlight off his own club.

Hawks been down for a couple of seasons, world ending, horrible list management, in fighting, terrible club.

Essendon been non existent for over 2 decades, won a couple of games, played some kids, very positive, any moment now will explode for a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back