Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We may have only been two goals a game behind them over the regular season but we are a long way away from being able to do what Melbourne did offensively over the finals season.

I think those figures about our defense being 3.5 goals behind are a bit skewed as well given how badly our midfield got pumped the first half of the year (and how often we lost the inside 50 count).
Agree - a team's defence is only as good as its midfield. The best defence will be cut up when the opposition gets clean clearances. We had too much ball streaming forward from the centre because our rucks could not get a hand to the ball and we had no defensive mids. Introducing Reeves, Nash and Newcombe started to change that dynamic. I am hoping that there will be much less pressure on our defence and much more pressure on opposition defence next year.

Sam definitely has a lot to work with, no doubt.

No surprise the midfield will be the focus though.

D5AC4F6C-0655-4333-9D34-9CE615C137B0.jpeg

Key takeaways:

Talk of offloding players was overdone - Mitchell says he told Gunston at training that he was going nowhere.

Anyone who wants Breust traded is a clown (my words, not Sam’s) - Sam states that while discussing the GWS offer that Breust displayed continued passion for the club and that he wanted to be involved in our next flag, even if he wasn’t playing in it.

Kids who were drafted were targeted because they are hard workers and ‘high achievers’. Mitchell, McKenzie and the recruiting team (all name mentioned by Sam which I felt was a good touch) focussed on players who were equally good of character as they were talent.

Said that Worpel, Day and Moore are recognising that this is ‘going to be their club’.

Deliberately didn’t give much away on gameplan but alluded to the defensive element staying but with more focus on attack also. Wants us to be tough and physically in the contests and this is Hickmott’s role as stoppages coach.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Yes it’s good to focus on character / work ethic but need to ensure it’s not framed too narrowly (high VCE, private school types). Some of our best players in flag years may not have been drafted/traded in - hodge, buddy, lake, Gibbo - and may not draft best player in comp (dusty and maybe even Fyfe).

Yes it’s good to focus on character / work ethic but need to ensure it’s not framed too narrowly (high VCE, private school types). Some of our best players in flag years may not have been drafted/traded in - hodge, buddy, lake, Gibbo - and may not draft best player in comp (dusty and maybe even Fyfe).

I don’t think that’s the view our recruiters have taken. I read a story about how during lockdowns Ward has kept himself fit and built a makeshift gym at his home and was watching game tapes of Sam Walsh because he wanted to be more of an inside midfielder. I think the hard working focus will be mostly on their approach to footy (which may rub off on their academic pursuits also if they’re determined kids) - and from what I’ve read of the draftees it seems to ring true.

What an odd thing to say.

Surely hard workers, of good character are just as welcome if they have high-achievement in VCE &/or are from a private school?

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
What an odd thing to say.

Surely hard workers, of good character are just as welcome if they have high-achievement in VCE &/or are from a private school?
Sorry didn’t mean to delve into the cliche. And don’t want to start the argument. Have edited post so doesn’t go off track.

Point I was making is that some absolute superstars of club and afl (ie buddy, hodge and dusty/Fyfe/Greene) probably wouldn’t have met our current drafting criteria as not hard working enough or too loose off field.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How does character and work ethic have anything remotely related to high VCE and private schools?

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can already see the wheels turning in Sam’s head on how he changes the culture of the club in one off season. Just hope we don’t suffocate anyone who doesn’t have that same work ethic.

And if you get the lesser work ethic players to buy in to this new culture will get some really Positive outcomes

Franklin was one of the hardest workers on the track. He wasnt a slacker. I am sure Martin and for that matter Hodge under performed earlier in their careers because they didnt work hard enough or were not as focused. It is only when they matured and put in the hard work did they actually get the best out of themselves. It is true for any pursuit. It is also why some who have the talent do not succeed. Working your arse off is a pre requisite

I can already see the wheels turning in Sam’s head on how he changes the culture of the club in one off season. Just hope we don’t suffocate anyone who doesn’t have that same work ethic.

And if you get the lesser work ethic players to buy in to this new culture will get some really Positive outcomes

You’d have to imagine that with the Vic kids you’d be able to get a good insight into their desire to work hard and commitment to being a senior footy player by asking how they kept themselves going during lockdowns.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You’d have to imagine that with the Vic kids you’d be able to get a good insight into their desire to work hard and commitment to being a senior footy player by asking how they kept themselves going during lockdowns.
Definitely, in wards interview he said him
And long we’re training with someone even faster then them, clearly made a huge difference.

Even loyd mentioned how hard serong and mcdonaugh worked.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Key takeaways:

................... - Sam states that while discussing the GWS offer that Breust displayed continued passion for the club and that he wanted to be involved in our next flag, even if he wasn’t playing in it.

That, is ******* brilliant.
Real honest to goodness metal. Gone up in my estimations, and that is no small feat.

More than just a little significant, seeing that all five picked are from Victoria.

Back