Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Good post mate. I've just bolded a word that probably could use a quick edit. I was reading the last page in isolation and did a double take when I saw it. When I saw it was from you, I trusted it must just be a typo and so read the context and post you were replying to (which confirmed it).

Either way, I reckon a good idea to change it to "backman".
Done, autocorrect I'd assume :oops:

Good post mate. I've just bolded a word that probably could use a quick edit. I was reading the last page in isolation and did a double take when I saw it. When I saw it was from you, I trusted it must just be a typo and so read the context and post you were replying to (which confirmed it).

Either way, I reckon a good idea to change it to "backman".

He can’t edit your post though?

So this year points for, Melbourne has scored 938 compared to our 877, only a diff of 61. Points against 580 to 947 😳. During the Dees most recent rebuild when Roos came on board I remember it was all about minimising scores against/losing margins. I reckon Sammy is doing the opposite. We are leaking plenty at times when the ball goes the other way and finding the right balance and tightening this up is surely a strong focus over the next 1 - 2 years. But I’m ok with this approach as when we click it’s been some of the most attractive footy I have seen us play in years! Sometimes attack is the best form of defence.

So this year points for, Melbourne has scored 938 compared to our 877, only a diff of 61. Points against 580 to 947 😳. During the Dees most recent rebuild when Roos came on board I remember it was all about minimising scores against/losing margins. I reckon Sammy is doing the opposite. We are leaking plenty at times when the ball goes the other way and finding the right balance and tightening this up is surely a strong focus over the next 1 - 2 years. But I’m ok with this approach as when we click it’s been some of the most attractive footy I have seen us play in years! Sometimes attack is the best form of defence.
Nailed it. It's exactly what he is doing.

I can definetly see a path to the finals with Sam's approach.

Like you said we just need to adjust a few things on the defensive side but when you are a team that can kick 100 points on a regular basis you are always in the mix.

Funny how many posters came back at me last year whenever I criticised the ultra defensive approach our team was taking saying it wasn't Clarko's doing and it was the players making the team play that awful style.

But we get a new coach and immediately (without a huge turnover of players) we are playing fast, attacking, attractive footy and kicking 100 points on a pretty regular basis!

Funny that 🤔

These are great, Mitch is doing well to sway the media I reckon

The thing is we're not really expected to beat Sydney or Richmond yet. The fact we were able to get so far ahead of teams that are currently better than us is what the focus should be on, not that the young, inconsistent team eventually tired and wasn't able to stop the more advanced team from getting a run on.

As for the Essendon game... we probably ****ed up by taking in sick players where they didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we could 'break even' or even just stop the weight of opposition scoring from centre bounces, we'd be unbeatable.

It would be pretty easy for Sammy to bring Finn into the side as a tagger, but you've (IMO) gotta respect that he wants to Finn to develop as a player in his own right - not simply as a guy that ruins other players' games*.

If we could 'break even' or even just stop the weight of opposition scoring from centre bounces, we'd be unbeatable.

It would be pretty easy for Sammy to bring Finn into the side as a tagger, but you've (IMO) gotta respect that he wants to Finn to develop as a player in his own right - not simply as a guy that ruins other players' games*.
It’s an exciting prospect knowing we have the right coach, and with the right midfield pieces we are going to be a pretty formidable side. Hopefully guys like C-Mac, Finn and Wardy can be those type of players

Is it possible to be the coach of the year for a side that will likely finish in the bottom six?

If it is, then surely Sam Mitchell deserves consideration for the gong in 2022. No coach has done more with less than Mitchell at Hawthorn this season; for a side with Sam Frost as its de facto key forward, a second-year ruckman and probably the AFL’s least damaging midfield to become capable of challenging the best sides in the competition, most lately Fremantle, is an astounding accomplishment for a first-year coach.

Is it possible to be the coach of the year for a side that will likely finish in the bottom six?

If it is, then surely Sam Mitchell deserves consideration for the gong in 2022. No coach has done more with less than Mitchell at Hawthorn this season; for a side with Sam Frost as its de facto key forward, a second-year ruckman and probably the AFL’s least damaging midfield to become capable of challenging the best sides in the competition, most lately Fremantle, is an astounding accomplishment for a first-year coach.

That's an overly optimistic take on us..

Only if you consider that coach to be coaching the worst playing list of all time.

If Clarkson can coach a threepeat and not get coach of the year once - then sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back