Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Sam has been ultra-impressive to date both in his coaching-style and interview-style, though I think he could use a few synonyms for the word “strong”.

Staunch, stout, sturdy, unyielding, stalwart, mighty, hardy, well-founded, enduring, capable, durable, firm, solid, tenacious, steady, substantial, sound

Come on Sammy, splash a few of these words around in your press conferences.

Sam has been ultra-impressive to date both in his coaching-style and interview-style, though I think he could use a few synonyms for the word “strong”.

Staunch, stout, sturdy, unyielding, stalwart, mighty, hardy, well-founded, enduring, capable, durable, firm, solid, tenacious, steady, substantial, sound

Come to think of it there are time when it is not all rainbows and puppies… the midfield in Q2 and Q3 against the WB showed that.

Maybe a few antonyms for strong could be mixed in: Loose, intermittent, fragile, ineffective, vulnerable, wobbly, yielding, complacent, irresolute, … or if he wants to lay the boot in… inept, infirm, feeble, impotent, lazy, … soft.

Sam is probably the most articulate coach in the league over the last decade at least. He's talking to the everyman there.

Libba is not ordinary...
if he doesnt play last night we probably come close to winning

Bont was pretty good but Treloar and Macrae were way less effective than they typically are, and yet we still got belted in the midfield

not sure how a player that single-handedly controlled the entire game could be ordinary

"We weren't defiant enough for long enough"?

“You want to see them compete; you want to see them engage in the game style that they’re playing but you also want them to get a few draft picks so there’s longevity of staying up the top.” Luke Hodge

Hodgey doing us proud! Spoken like a true bigfooty poster

“You want to see them compete; you want to see them engage in the game style that they’re playing but you also want them to get a few draft picks so there’s longevity of staying up the top.” Luke Hodge

Hodgey doing us proud! Spoken like a true bigfooty poster
Hodgey always makes good, reasonable decisions, I would love him back at the club in any capacity but his got a cushy gig atm

Hodgey always makes good, reasonable decisions, I would love him back at the club in any capacity but his got a cushy gig atm

Replace Monky snacking on the bench when he hangs up the lolly bags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge as coach on the bench would be elite to be honest, he can have a lifetime supply of Snacks

Hodge could probably play off the bench right now in our midfield. Stewie Dew went alright.

Of all the posters on this site Davo23 has the strangest takes on players.

His bizarre rant about Russell Ebert being honoured by Port is still the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on Bigfooty.

The covid years were dark for us.

2017 was dreadful also. Some of those losses early on were just abysmal - sitting through that thrashing on Easter Monday was the worst experience, followed closely by having to sit through us not being able to get up for Roughy in his return game with the returning drug cheats getting up. So many players had their heads down that day. Second half of the season was better but unfortunately papered over some cracks in retrospect.

Haven't seen us play a match this year that is worse than the stuff we dished up from 19-21. The game plan was bland and lacked conviction.

We also had better players at times during those years (at least at their peak) than we do now.
Saints game would have to be up there. Just dominated by a mid table team.

We also played some attractive footy in our post bye runs some years (but pre bye was always defensive crap and the end of season form never translated). Reckon with Sicily back we have a better side than 2021.

Haven't seen us play a match this year that is worse than the stuff we dished up from 19-21. The game plan was bland and lacked conviction.

We also had better players at times during those years (at least at their peak) than we do now.
Did we? A lot of the senior blokes were washed. And the young blokes were really really young then.

Clarko's teams would have looked better with CJ streaming out of half back, Newcombe storming out of the centre and Mitch Lewis crashing packs.

The main difference we are seeing is the difference youth makes when it gets up and running.

I think you can make an argument that Clarko held onto the old team for too long - I have no idea how Stratton even became captain. But Clarko did not have much in the way of cattle to play an attacking game style. All the guys who are tearing it up for Mitchel - Lewis, CJ, Moore, Newcombe, Morrison, etc. - were literally kids back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back