Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Hodgey always makes good, reasonable decisions, I would love him back at the club in any capacity but his got a cushy gig atm
Just like the Leigh Matthews coming back to coach fantasy of years gone by, I wouldn't pin any hopes on this happening.

Not many people move to Qld from down south and return because to be honest the lifestyle is better up here especially when you have a young family. It's for this reason when I first heard he was going to the Lions I knew him coming back was a lost cause.

Would absolutely love to be proven wrong but I just can't see it happening.

Not many people move to Qld from down south and return because to be honest the lifestyle is better up here especially when you have a young family. It's for this reason when I first heard he was going to the Lions I knew him coming back was a lost cause.

Horses for courses of course - but lockdowns aside I have always found Melbourne's lifestyle to be far, far better than Brisbane (10 years in Melbourne vs 18 years in Brisbane). I say this now as someone with a young kid - the green spaces in inner-city Melbourne compared to Brisbane is far superior and the cold weather in winter isn't that hard to cope with if you dress accordingly. My lack of a stupidly big backyard that I have to spend half my weekend maintaining is made up for with numerous parks within a few minutes walk. The summer's in Melbourne are absolutely sensational and the sun doesn't go down at 5PM. Brisbane doesn't have a good beach so you are an hour's drive from a good one - Melbourne isn't much different with Mornington or Bellarine an hour's drive in either direction. And the lack of humidity is insanely good - honestly going out in Brisbane in the summer months is just dreadful as you just end up sweating profusely unless you are in stupidly good air-con, so you're not really outside anyway. Even on the really crazy hot days I don't sweat in Melbourne as much as a I did on a 25 degree day in Brisbane.

Melbourne has better schools, better coffee/food and restaurants, better pubs (PINTS not schooners), better cultural events and facilities, better sporting facilities, better public transport and you don't have to talk to people about rugby league. And it isn't full of Queenslanders. The only thing I preferred about Brisbane is that it didn't take me 45 minutes to drive 7km across a few suburbs - but being that I live inner-city I mercifully don't have to drive all that often. Also Melburnians are some of the worst, most stupidly aggressive and pointlessly assertive drivers in the world so driving is best avoided for that also.

Horses for courses of course - but lockdowns aside I have always found Melbourne's lifestyle to be far, far better than Brisbane (10 years in Melbourne vs 18 years in Brisbane). I say this now as someone with a young kid - the green spaces in inner-city Melbourne compared to Brisbane is far superior and the cold weather in winter isn't that hard to cope with if you dress accordingly. My lack of a stupidly big backyard that I have to spend half my weekend maintaining is made up for with numerous parks within a few minutes walk. The summer's in Melbourne are absolutely sensational and the sun doesn't go down at 5PM. Brisbane doesn't have a good beach so you are an hour's drive from a good one - Melbourne isn't much different with Mornington or Bellarine an hour's drive in either direction. And the lack of humidity is insanely good - honestly going out in Brisbane in the summer months is just dreadful as you just end up sweating profusely unless you are in stupidly good air-con, so you're not really outside anyway. Even on the really crazy hot days I don't sweat in Melbourne as much as a I did on a 25 degree day in Brisbane.

Melbourne has better schools, better coffee/food and restaurants, better pubs (PINTS not schooners), better cultural events and facilities, better sporting facilities, better public transport and you don't have to talk to people about rugby league. And it isn't full of Queenslanders. The only thing I preferred about Brisbane is that it didn't take me 45 minutes to drive 7km across a few suburbs - but being that I live inner-city I mercifully don't have to drive all that often. Also Melburnians are some of the worst, most stupidly aggressive and pointlessly assertive drivers in the world so driving is best avoided for that also.
Ned - very interesting as someone in Singapore deciding on where to live upon my return. Thanks for the lifestyle blog....now back to Kerri-Anne in the studio!

Ned - very interesting as someone in Singapore deciding on where to live upon my return. Thanks for the lifestyle blog....now back to Kerri-Anne in the studio!
Lived in both cities, and the winter will kill you in Melbourne. Anyone who has lived in the tropics (and Brisbane is not tropical by any stretch) will suffer in Melbourne. Tried one Melbourne winter, rugged up like the Michelin man and still wandered around in the street asking random people to kill me.

Lived in both cities, and the winter will kill you in Melbourne. Anyone who has lived in the tropics (and Brisbane is not tropical by any stretch) will suffer in Melbourne. Tried one Melbourne winter, rugged up like the Michelin man and still wandered around in the street asking random people to kill me.

I did 7 Canberran winters - Melbourne is a breeze comparatively. It's all personal preferences - some people love humidity so yeah I get why Melbourne winters would suck. Humidity would make me homicidal if it didn't instantly drain me of my will to live and move so the thought of enduring it for 9ish months a year again is not something that appeals.

As Hawks fans we should all be convincing Hodgey that Brisbane is a horrible place to be - we need those 3 boys playing footy down here!

I did 7 Canberran winters - Melbourne is a breeze comparatively. It's all personal preferences - some people love humidity so yeah I get why Melbourne winters would suck. Humidity would make me homicidal if it didn't instantly drain me of my will to live and move so the thought of enduring it for 9ish months a year again is not something that appeals.

As Hawks fans we should all be convincing Hodgey that Brisbane is a horrible place to be - we need those 3 boys playing footy down here!
My point was he was coming from Singapore.

Yeah I've heard the Canberra winters are torture.

Everything about Canberra is torture - including being saddled with their footy team :(
and the roundabouts that have infested the entire "metropolis".

Must have been a nice neighbourhood given you're still alive. You wouldn't even have to ask them in some suburbs.

Humidity would make me homicidal if it didn't instantly drain me of my will to live and move so the thought of enduring it for 9ish months a year again is not something that appeals.
Preach Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

Must have been a nice neighbourhood given you're still alive. You wouldn't even have to ask them in some suburbs.
I stayed away from Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stayed away from Collingwood.

You’re at greater risk of being hit by a $20 sandwich than being stabbed in Collingwood these days. Granted I saw a rough unit getting booted from the Smith St Coles today so it’s not fully gentrified just yet.

Damn, opportunity missed

I've seen him 2 or 3 times live now. Is an absolute Legend.
The closest thing we have today to Carl Sagan. I love how they both focussed on making astronomy/cosmology accessable. Check out the Cosmos series (both the original with Carl and the remake with Neil) if you get a chance. Both are fantasic series.

I've seen him 2 or 3 times live now. Is an absolute Legend.

Yeah he is, I'm jealous. I've seen him only once, which up in Sydney a few years ago now. He was literally and figuratively brilliant.

I was able to get to Brian Cox's show/event, whatever you want to call it, in Melbourne more recently (still pre covid). He had that ridiculously high-def screen as part of his show - he was brilliant too. They were just absolutely mind bending shows.

The closest thing we have today to Carl Sagan. I love how they both focussed on making astronomy/cosmology accessable. Check out the Cosmos series (both the original with Carl and the remake with Neil) if you get a chance. Both are fantasic series.

Carl, the OG.

Both his and NDT's Cosmos series are incredible.

Damn, opportunity missed
Well my wife and I are thinking of moving back there. It's where i grew up. But after living in Tonga, I hated the winter in Melbourne, then went FNQ for 10 years, and then spent one winter in Melbourne wishing i were dead. How anyone except stone fruit farmers can live anywhere near the place is beyond me, and yet my wife (from an even more tropical place - PNG -) wants to move back to there or thereabouts. I also lived a year in Hobart - Colder but easier to keep warm, because your bones don't get wet from drizzle.

Except one is a copy. Brian Cox is closer to Carl Sagan IMO. Carl Sagan was the closest thing I have to a childhood hero, and Brian Cox's quiet but instructive manner reminds me a lot of him, however his focus is more on quantum mechanics.

You’re at greater risk of being hit by a $20 sandwich than being stabbed in Collingwood these days. Granted I saw a rough unit getting booted from the Smith St Coles today so it’s not fully gentrified just yet.
Was it Jordan DeGoey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back