Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I disagree we dominated that game until 3/4 time, Sydney wrestled back control much earlier than that in regards to general play, it just took until the final quarter for them to get the benefits on the scoreboard.
Them playing on Easter Friday and us on Easter Monday the previous round seemed to have an influence

I disagree we dominated that game until 3/4 time, Sydney wrestled back control much earlier than that in regards to general play, it just took until the final quarter for them to get the benefits on the scoreboard.
Ah yes that infamous game where the definition of the boundary line differed depending which team was in possession.

I don't disagree that there is some separation between list managers and coaches, but the coach is the one who will tell the list managers what they need to be able to deliver on the game style they're designing - at the very least in broad brush strokes, if not very specific opinions. The two are not completely siloed (and in my opinion shouldn't be). A holistic approach should be taken to team management. It's not like McKenzie will independently go out anf trade Lewis for a top 10 pick without consulting Sam if an offer comes through. Likewise, Sam would tell McKenzie that he has a plethora of half backs, and he thinks if we can get a second rounder for player x then it's worth considering.

Nobody said it was completely siloed - of course there would be collaboration and input. Your original post though was as though the entirety of the recruitment decisions this off-season were make or break for Sam when he would have only minimal influence over what is going to happen.

Somebody has already posted that Chris Scott gets overruled constantly on recruitment decisions - a first year coach isn't going to be exerting wholesale influence on the footy department and recruitment staff.

Really good viewing. Interesting points RE: recruitment, selection etc.

This is so refreshing. Never liked our attitude towards the media previously, closing them off so completely just invited negative press and whenever Clarko made himself available he always came off a little bit dull and repetitious.

Love how Sam can get out in front of people and shift the narrative on its head through being so knowledgeable and well spoken.

This is so refreshing. Never liked our attitude towards the media previously, closing them off so completely just invited negative press and whenever Clarko made himself available he always came off a little bit dull and repetitious.

Love how Sam can get out in front of people and shift the narrative on its head through being so knowledgeable and well spoken.
Watching this you can see how Sam is able to develop good relationships with the younger players.

He has a touch of the mischievous scamp that would translate well with the under 23s I think (just a touch but its there)

I also like the fact that he acknowldeges how early he is in his coaching development, one thing Sam always did well as a player was self improvement and that's a great trait to have as a coach.

Burge to join Hawks

Not sure where to put this but we have a new high-performance manager for 2023. Luke Boyd is gone, likely to Roos with Clarko according to Footy Classified. I am happy with this one because I couldn't stand Boyd's rambling in the AIA vitality updates. Hopefully this new Richmond bloke can help to build our fitness to play the high-octane RFC brand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the coach should have a critical say in list management trade and draft decisions

goes without saying

No, they shouldn’t. Just like McKenzie shouldn’t get a critical say in team selection and coaching strategies. Input - absolutely. Influence - no thanks.

No, they shouldn’t. Just like McKenzie shouldn’t get a critical say in team selection and coaching strategies. Input - absolutely. Influence - no thanks.

I agree with this to a degree. Need to ensure that both list manager and coaching panel are on the same page in terms of a clear defined gamestyle to look for players to fit.

The poorly run clubs just seem to pick at whatever is available with no heed over how the pieces will fit. Exhibit A is Norf.

I agree with this to a degree. Need to ensure that both list manager and coaching panel are on the same page in terms of a clear defined gamestyle to look for players to fit.

The poorly run clubs just seem to pick at whatever is available with no heed over how the pieces will fit. Exhibit A is Norf.

I’m sure there’s discussions and input - I’m just also sure that Sam isn’t the most commanding voice in the room as it is not his area of expertise. You have a recruiting team for a reason.

And sometimes not picking the best available player can come back to haunt you also. Case in point the Portland Trailblazers who passed on Michael Jordan because they needed a centre more so picked Sam Bowie.

So if McKenzie decides to get deGoey Mitchell should suck it up and deal with it.

No thanks.

Drafting maybe, but for trades the coach should absolutely have a say in the team dynamic.

Should the list managers also be deciding payrises and retirements ?

If Clarko didnt get his way and get Dew we dont win the 2008 flag. Simple as that.

This - I don't think Mitchell should be telling the club who to draft but he absolutely should be responsible for setting the game plan and letting the recruitment staff what roles he feels we are short in and what areas we need quality most.

Otherwise you just end up with a bunch of HBF's and no key forwards.

If Mitchell isn't telling the recruiters that we are OK down back and for runners but need burst mids and another KPF he isn't doing his job. With that, if McKenzie believes the best approach is to draft Cadman and then go after some FA's or draft a mid later then so be it

This - I don't think Mitchell should be telling the club who to draft but he absolutely should be responsible for setting the game plan and letting the recruitment staff what roles he feels we are short in and what areas we need quality most.

If Mitchell isn't telling the recruiters that we are OK down back and for runners but need burst mids and another KPF he isn't doing his job. With that, if McKenzie believes the best approach is to draft Cadman and then go after some FA's or draft a mid later then so be it

If you said a team of HBF and no inside mids it would have been a good dig at Dodoro.

We also dont want to go the other way and have the list managers overruled by the executive like apparently happened at the Roos with JHF and the monster offer Adelaide made.

I know we need mids but I’m actually happy with where we are at to draft a gun key position forward. You get Amon this year, draft Cadman then in a year or 2 go after a decent mid in free agency. It’s a lot easier to grab a mid in free agency then it is to get a key forward to leave their club because of how competitive mid spots are on a list.

Like any good organisation, the coach and the recruiters would be in constant dialogue, and Sam would have a very clear wishlist about what he wants, and would be brought in for interviews, etc. But ultimately the final call would lie with McKenzie and that’s certainly what happens at other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back