Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

Wow, well that's one way to look at it.
In good times I'd be cool with regenerating those voices with plenty of time to head hunt replacements and on our schedule and behest.
These are being forced upon us, that's significantly different.
Sounds like you think things have been running smoothly at the Club, with little change in recent times and this but business as usual.
You didn't miss the removal of Clarko and installation of Mitchell did you, as well as bringing back Hale, brining in Harvey, changing our fitness coach this season, as well as a couple other appointments or role changes?
All in the last 2 years no?
And now this?
I would have called the positions we've 'lost' staff in as fairly critical.
Good luck spinning this as ordinary times at our Club, with all the other upheaval going on.
I never said things have been running smoothly, nor do I think that. It's certainly been a challenging period.

The senior coach "transition" was clunky but it needed to be done. We have a great operator in Sam Mitchell there now who I would consider the anchor point of our next premiership campaign. Everyone else around him in the footy department should be considered dynamic. There is constant turnover at all clubs. We lose someone from our footy department, we then gain someone from another club or bring in someone completely new.

Robert Harvey leaves after only a year but he'll have brought some good ideas to the club (if not, it's no loss). Just because he's gone doesn't mean those contributions are lost. They'll remain and the replacement person will either build on them with fresh ideas or replace them with something better.

Sometimes a club will have a year where they don't lose any staff and are really fortunate with their injury list and go on to win a flag. That level of stability is more luck than anything else. I want to see the club at the point where we can handle a 2014 type of season. We lost many of our best players to longer term injuries with plenty of over lap, as well as Clarko for a good chunk in the middle of the season. The club was able to overcome this instability during a season because of how well drilled everyone was in knowing their roles and how to deal with sudden change.

No, he very kindly told me not to over react.
I didn't think I had, thus I made a less than humorous mention of being called out.
Please feel free to read my post, with reference to the number of changes that have happened at the Club, and let me know if I've made a couple of good rational objective points too.
Then we can all sing kum-bay-ya.
You had.
You didn't. :shrug:

Not to drag this on too much or anything but I don't quite get what you mean. Are you saying that jaegers role was important enough for us to try and keep him?
No it wasn't mate. What i pointed out was he had played a role in helping worpel achieve his best season and its a self less act. You need players like him in the future who sacrifice for the team rather than be the star and do their own thing. JOM wasnt what we hoped he would be but he did what he could to help the team. His singular focus was winning he didnt care how we got there

And that's why he's the captain and still at the club. ??? Get over it, Sam most definitely has.
The comment about doing work off the footy is nonsense, and you clearly have no idea about how contested structure works if you couldn't see that, especially in Worps BnF year/Mitchell's Brownlow year

Again, nonsense and blind bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comment about doing work off the footy is nonsense, and you clearly have no idea about how contested structure works if you couldn't see that, especially in Worps BnF year/Mitchell's Brownlow year

Again, nonsense and blind bias
You're not really following. So, here's another go at it, WHO'S taking over this extremely important role that Jaeger was so good at? And just aside, stop saying ' nonsense' to things you don't agree with. İt's fine to not agree.

You're not really following. So, here's another go at it, WHO'S taking over this extremely important role that Jaeger was so good at? And just aside, stop saying ' nonsense' to things you don't agree with. İt's fine to not agree.
Nash/Finn

Mate, it is nonsense. Jaeger did a lot of work off the ball - you’d only have to go to games to see it. Particularly this year he had so many knockers who clearly only watched the game on TV and looked at the SuperCoach score and decided he did nothing when he was doing a mountain of work off the ball to make things easier for our younger mids. Multiple track watchers/regular game attendees saw it. It’s not an opinion - it is what it is.

You can be critical of the price paid to obtain Jaeger, you can lament that he didn’t rich the peaks we all hoped he would - but you can’t dismiss the role he was playing just because it didn’t translate on TV where you only see about 20% of what’s going on in a match.

It's not because i dont agree, its because it simply isnt true, hence nonsense

But again, your commentary so far proves that the actual intricacy's of how a midfield works is beyond you

We will miss the role of Jaeger, so hopefully someone can step up

If you cant understand that, I've got nothing else for you

I think his direction at the moment is to build a list of players who aren't necessarily the elite of the elite, but the ones who believe in the club.
He's recruiting lifelong hawk supporters, or players with strong connections either via family or association with box hill

I think his direction at the moment is to build a list of players who aren't necessarily the elite of the elite, but the ones who believe in the club.
He's recruiting lifelong hawk supporters, or players with strong connections either via family or association with box hill
Wants guys who are 100% invested in playing for and being part of Hawthorn.

That’s important if you are to build a culture where the team is greater than the sum of its parts.

Being Hawks supporters is just a coincidence in my mind. I personally find the whole “Let’s get hawks fans to play for hawthorn” pretty childish, but I of course think it’s quite romantic if it works out that way.

Being Hawks supporters is just a coincidence in my mind. I personally find the whole “Let’s get hawks fans to play for hawthorn” pretty childish, but I of course think it’s quite romantic if it works out that way.
Not romantic a boyhood dream would be better?

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It's not because i dont agree, its because it simply isnt true, hence nonsense

But again, your commentary so far proves that the actual intricacy's of how a midfield works is beyond you

We will miss the role of Jaeger, so hopefully someone can step up

If you cant understand that, I've got nothing else for you
Again, over your head it goes.

Mate, it is nonsense. Jaeger did a lot of work off the ball - you’d only have to go to games to see it. Particularly this year he had so many knockers who clearly only watched the game on TV and looked at the SuperCoach score and decided he did nothing when he was doing a mountain of work off the ball to make things easier for our younger mids. Multiple track watchers/regular game attendees saw it. It’s not an opinion - it is what it is.

You can be critical of the price paid to obtain Jaeger, you can lament that he didn’t rich the peaks we all hoped he would - but you can’t dismiss the role he was playing just because it didn’t translate on TV where you only see about 20% of what’s going on in a match.
Fair enough but i just dont think he's role or he's game was all that impressive for Sam to try and keep him.

Nash/Finn
And thatş my point. Other lesser lights can take that role. Jaegers output and role should've been rolls Royce through the midfield like a boss not the dodge truck that opens space for others. Anyway, let's move on to bigger and better things from here on in. I can see Nash doing that job really well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back