Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Been on and off with membership because I joined this forum at an age most wouldn’t expect, but proud and paid up for 2023. Go Hawks.
baby-cute.gif

No pressure, Sam

Can't really see any pressure on Sam really. Media think we have the worse list in the competition by a long way, have an average list age of like 12.4 and still rebuilding from the Clarko years.

Just need to be competitive without too many blow outs

Can't really see any pressure on Sam really. Media think we have the worse list in the competition by a long way, have an average list age of like 12.4 and still rebuilding from the Clarko years.

Just need to be competitive without too many blow outs
I'm a bit bullish for '23, similar win/loss as last year, no blowouts ( please) and take a few scalps in the later part of the season. Mostly excited to see our young tribe take shape and spots in the 22 secured by performance. Not being in the spot light will be handy i feel, Sam can focus on his young charges and get the game plan cemented in their heads, Go Hawks.

He didn't just come out say we would win the 2004 Premiership. He said all great players and all great teams put themselves out there so yes we would aim to win the flag.
Correct. It's amazing how the media and the fans took that comment so differently to what he was meaning to say.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

After a year in the top job to try a few things and make mistakes, and a rapid changing of the guard over the past 2 years, I am really keen to see how we look to develop our game plan this year.

Clarko’s crew is out, Mitchell’s men are in.

Exciting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this 👍

“I’m not surprised that they went the way that they did. I know Sam Mitchell pretty well and he’s not just going to sit back and hope things happen. He wants to build a list to play his style,” Hodge told SEN’s Sportsday.

“Making the decisions that they did, we saw the game against Essendon last year where they were up by 40-odd points. Essendon started to come back and Sam decided he wasn’t going to put Jaeger O’Meara or Tom Mitchell in the middle, they stayed forward and it was the younger guys in there to show them that this is the only way the team is going to get better – by giving responsibility to young guys so they can learn faster.

Love this 👍

“I’m not surprised that they went the way that they did. I know Sam Mitchell pretty well and he’s not just going to sit back and hope things happen. He wants to build a list to play his style,” Hodge told SEN’s Sportsday.

“Making the decisions that they did, we saw the game against Essendon last year where they were up by 40-odd points. Essendon started to come back and Sam decided he wasn’t going to put Jaeger O’Meara or Tom Mitchell in the middle, they stayed forward and it was the younger guys in there to show them that this is the only way the team is going to get better – by giving responsibility to young guys so they can learn faster.

Mitchell omeara Shiels (sub) Gunston callow missing from that team now . Lewis Wingard Nash reeves blanck Impey CJ did not play.

Meek Amon Stephens Greene plus draftees available

Just remember the following when we talk about draft deals.

so when the Jaeger thing came up late – it wasn't part of our planning to lose Jaeger – but to get Lloyd in and also get a little bit of extra draft capital which turned into Josh Weddle really. We think about it as bringing in another first-round draft pick and a really good ruckmen as well, so it kind of makes sense.

"I think if there are a whole group of clubs doing the same thing, it's probably less likely to work. So if you think about the clubs that have rebuilt well, they were the only clubs doing it at the time," he said.

"If you have the same strategy as every other club then you're fighting for the same free agents or the same draft capital or the same talent pool that you can bring. I think us being in a younger spot now, we're able to do some things with the salary cap or how contracts are set up and potentially look to free agency over the next couple of years that other clubs can't do because they haven't done it the way we have.

"What that does is it gives us a point of difference and when you're building a list and building a strategy, if you're trying to do what everyone else is doing, the resources are finite so I'm really confident in the direction we're going.

Absolutely

It’s also a strategy you don’t have to keep a secret cos while rivals can see it, they are locked in a strategy which is different

Do we also think te was sideways referring to 2016-2020?

Last edited:
"I think if there are a whole group of clubs doing the same thing, it's probably less likely to work. So if you think about the clubs that have rebuilt well, they were the only clubs doing it at the time," he said.

"If you have the same strategy as every other club then you're fighting for the same free agents or the same draft capital or the same talent pool that you can bring. I think us being in a younger spot now, we're able to do some things with the salary cap or how contracts are set up and potentially look to free agency over the next couple of years that other clubs can't do because they haven't done it the way we have.

"What that does is it gives us a point of difference and when you're building a list and building a strategy, if you're trying to do what everyone else is doing, the resources are finite so I'm really confident in the direction we're going.

Absolutely

It’s also a strategy you don’t have to keep a secret cos while rivals can see it, they are locked in a strategy which is different
We were able to exploit teams’ willingness to pay high for kpp to acquire draft picks in 2004-2006. We exploited an undervaluing of left footers to build an elite kicking side. We later exploited mature recruits at a time everyone had placed a premium on draft picks. In combination that delivered 4 flags.

You can’t simply follow the crowd or else you end up relying on the luck in the draft lottery. So I welcome our counter trend policy 😀

And I still maintain clubs rebuilding including the 2001 super draft have made a strategy case which is a little bit over attractive for most subsequent rebuilds in practice.

There’s been a few teams since had stacks of pickups under #10 in multiple drafts which have flunked

And I still maintain clubs rebuilding including the 2001 super draft have made a strategy case which is a little bit over attractive for most subsequent rebuilds in practice.

There’s been a few teams since had stacks of pickups under #10 in multiple drafts which have flunked
It is absolutely impossible do do what Hawthorn, Geelong, Stkilda and Collingwood did in that 2007-2015 period of building sides from draft picks.

1. There are no priority picks anymore which I think at least Hawthorn and Stkilda used for Reiwoltd, Kosi, Roughhead, Lewis etc.
2. Nobody is giving you pick 1 for Croad now. and certainly not first rounders for Hay, Thompson and Rawlings.
3. Geelong lucked out with Father sons before the bidding system too.
4. Trading in established talent was still critical. King, Ottens, Dew, Jolly, Ball, Gardiner

Every Premiership side for a while now has had a mix of top 10 draft picks, traded in gun players, star free agents (Lynch, Cameron, Dangerfield, Smith, Frawley), Delisted free agents, bargain draft picks and mature age draftees that nobody else wanted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back